Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, 12 gauge or 20 gauge?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • 12 gauge

92 64.79%
  • 20 gauge

50 35.21%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge vs 20 gauge?

Boolit Master
    I voted 20ga, and I also know the 12 is more logical, I am a wingshooter with the shotgun and we no longer have enough ducks arround here to get my attention. I like the way the 20 (and really the 28ga) handle for me. I will never part with my 12 ga target and utility guns but give me a 20 to hunt with. For those shooting slugs and buck, the 12 is more logical as well as for turkey and ducks. My favorite shotguns are under 7 1/2 lbs, trim and lively. I bought a 20ga 425 as my "big" gun in 95 and still feel that way. I really like 410s and a 28ga is not far behind the 20 in performance in the uplands.If you dont reload for them, the 28 and 410 are off the menu due to shell cost. If you want to have a ball and save some money get a 410 870 and a MEC! For wingshooting the smaller bores with their smaller frames are outstanding, for using a shotgun like a short range rifle, go 12ga. Ducks and geese almost require a 12 with our current nontoxic laws, but we killed LOTS of ducks in the 70s with 20 ga shotguns and lead shot.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

All of mind are 12 gauge. Don't need it for some of the hunting I do. A 20 would be a lot lighter and easier to handle. But I don't reload for shotgun and the 20 gauge shells are more money. Call me cheap in this instance.

I like having to decide which one to pull out of the safe. They are all O/Us except my turkey gun. That's an 870 Super Magnum. Bought it more for the synthetic camo stock and nice thick recoil pad than the 3.5" chamber. Shot one shell that large, absolutely no need and I won't be doing that ever again.

Boolit Master
    What's wrong with a 24ga? LOL The Charlin that was handed down to me is a nice sxs and shoots well. sxs does take a bit of getting used to and some skeet stations can be a bit difficult when a barrel covers the clay. But, once you get used to it they are fun. Double triggers can be useful to select the more open or tighter choke barrel depending on the target that 'pops up'.

But, if I were buying one it would be for survival so I'd pick a 12ga with short and long barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Actually, I prefer the 16 Gauge.

It works well for anything that wears feathers under the size of a Canada Goose.

I wish we could still use lead shot for everything.

Robert

There's one in every crowd. ;^]

But you're right. A lot of 16ga are built on the manufacturer's 20ga action so weigh less than a 12 but throw more shot than a 20.

My first centerfire gun was a 16ga Rem Mod 31L (L = aluminum receiver). The Mod 31 seemingly has a ball-bearing action. It was a great setup.

Boolit Grand Master
    I still stand by what I wrote six years ago, I prefer the 16 ga for all upland game over the 12 and 20 gauge shotguns. I've always liked oddball calibers and gauges.

Lately due to ammo cost, I have seem to be gathering more twenty gauges. And I have been tempted by a 28...

I don't hunt much anymore; but gun fit, shot selection, and patterning has more to do with shotgun effectiveness than the size of the hole in the barrel.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I too, prefer the 16 Gauge! Carries like a twenty, hits like a twelve!!!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I shoot a 12 gauge now because it is cheaper. Grew up shooting a 20 gauge. For bird hunting I prefer my .410

Boolit Master
    I have one 410 bolt action that was my grandfathers. The others are all 12 gauge. I just like the round and don't ever feel beat up afterwards. A 10 gauge cleaned my clock after 20 rounds tho. I didn't want anything to do with that gun after that and neither did my friend. I have seriously been contemplating a CZ Bobtail 20 gauge. Its a frame sized for the round.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    I have one 410 bolt action that was my grandfathers. The others are all 12 gauge. I just like the round and don't ever feel beat up afterwards. A 10 gauge cleaned my clock after 20 rounds tho. I didn't want anything to do with that gun after that and neither did my friend. I have seriously been contemplating a CZ Bobtail 20 gauge. Its a frame sized for the round.
    I never felt under-gunned with my Browning "Sweet Sixteen" and it handled like an extension of me. But, in the early 70s ammo was coming hard to find and shot shells were costly to reload so I traded it for Weatherby's beautiful and then new "Regency" O/U in 20 ga. magnum. Still have that one, I like it a lot and it matches the old Browning in balance, feel and effect but somehow it has never gained a place in my heart as did my old Sweet Sixteen; seems we get too soon old and too late smart.

My 12 gauge shotguns(2!) pretty much stay above the mantel and beside the bed while my 20 gauge shotguns(7?) go hunting and ride the Mule. I do use the 12 gauge 870 on ducks because steel shot is required

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned

The 16 gauge is addicted and I have a few. A 12 seems like a cannon now, but I did get a 12 gauge for my trap shooting and it clearly has an advantage there.

Add me to the 16 ga list !

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    The question isn't specific enough. Geese are a tough proposition with 20 gauge, particularly resident giant Canadas. I'd prefer 3.5" 12 gauge if using steel, or at least magnums if using no-tox alternatives. 20 gauge slugs make more sense to me than 12 gauge, particularly with a rifled bore. Dove die easy with a 20 or even a 28. Buckshot, give me a 12 because there aren't many pellets in there anyway.
    Up here we have no problem bringing those big Canadas "right in on the deck"! I hunt them with a 12 bore BP cartridge gun, 12 bore muzzle loader using Bismuth, and for modern stuff, a 20 gauge hammer double using steel
    So, no, I don't have a favorite gauge, I like them all!LOL
    David
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sslJGzJ.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	289043

Name:	YOKHZko.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	289044

Name:	vnFqwNi.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	289045
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

Boolit Buddy
    12 gauge, as they say, no substitute for cubic inches!

Boolit Master
    I don't duck, goose, or turkey hunt. The 28G is the only shotgun I own any more, and I've shot and owned them all. The 28 patterns better than a 20 and far and away better than a .410. It's also not about the number of holes you put in a pattern, but when those holes arrive on target. It seems that all shotguns pattern best with a squared shot column. When gages are pushed over bore they seem to have a long to very long shot string. I voted 12 in the poll, I've got no use for a 20. Ammo costs? You can't buy cheep promo shells for the 28G, but quality shot shells are comparable in all gages.

Boolit Bub
    Neither, I hunt with a 16 gauge for upland game.

TR

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A twelve gauge is the most versatile gun. From brown bear defense to shooting quail. It just depends how you load it.

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I voted 20ga, and I also know the 12 is more logical, I am a wingshooter with the shotgun and we no longer have enough ducks arround here to get my attention. I like the way the 20 (and really the 28ga) handle for me. I will never part with my 12 ga target and utility guns but give me a 20 to hunt with. For those shooting slugs and buck, the 12 is more logical as well as for turkey and ducks. My favorite shotguns are under 7 1/2 lbs, trim and lively. I bought a 20ga 425 as my "big" gun in 95 and still feel that way. I really like 410s and a 28ga is not far behind the 20 in performance in the uplands.If you dont reload for them, the 28 and 410 are off the menu due to shell cost. If you want to have a ball and save some money get a 410 870 and a MEC! For wingshooting the smaller bores with their smaller frames are outstanding, for using a shotgun like a short range rifle, go 12ga. Ducks and geese almost require a 12 with our current nontoxic laws, but we killed LOTS of ducks in the 70s with 20 ga shotguns and lead shot.
    This is pretty much my exact feelings also. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    My answer is yes. I like a 12ga. or a 20ga. Own both, hunt with both. I would use a 16 if I had one.

Boolit Grand Master

With my Benneli Super 90 Montefeltro 20g i didnt see much i couldnt do with it that i could with a 12g including goose
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast