Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Gun Value Question?

In Remembrance

Question Gun Value Question?

Many of you know that I spend a lot of time and effort converting simple everyday cases into the more obscure/hard to get/ expensive cases.

Since I seem to have this knack/ability to do this I've been searching here and there for the not so common rifles.

I know a lot of folks are going to come back with the " Supply and Demand thing" but somehow it doesn't seem to fit any plausible answer.

Seems the more expensive the ammo.....the more expensive the rifle/hand gun.

Things like rifles in 219 Zipper, 401 Winchester, 351 WSL, and so on.

I would love to find something in great condition, but when I think I found something of interest.....the price is in the area of Unobtanium.

So why is it that the harder to find ammo also represents hard to find rifles with super duper high prices?

I'm just curious....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Firearms in calibers that have been discontinued for years are usually collector items, and are priced accordingly.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    Doesn't make sense but it is true, at least most of the time it is. Last one I was at an auction and they sold A 225 Winchester in a savage and well it went 150.00 more then high list price, it was a nice gun but still.

Boolit Grand Master

Collectors value is a strange thing. If you can't buy or make ammo I don't see any value in a firearm. But this is because I see them as a tool and not a wall hanger or safe queen. Oddball and obsolete calibers have always commanded more money. Just look at the lowly Savage 99. Even though there were sufficient numbers produced. One chambered in 250-3000 command more money than one in 300 Savage. I see the same number of rifles available in both chamberings. And ammo is hard to get for both. Even 30-30s command more money. Set your limit and be prepared to throw the money on the table when you come across what you're looking for. It's the only way to purchase one of the rare birds you're looking for.

Boolit Grand Master

With older Winchesters the 32 Special is often less than the 30WCF in similar 94's. 32 isn't as rare as some of the other chamberings but it seems to be an exception to what you have observed.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

And this is why o buy shooting guns and do not collect oddities.

Boolit Master
    It's pure human irrationality. Time was when an old gun for which ammunition was still made would sell for a pretty high price while the same model chambered in an obsolete cartridge was a white elephant. To my observation, sometime in the late '70's was the tipping point; all of a sudden it was the obsolete cartridge guns that were catching up to and surpassing those chambered for still obtainable ammo.

Lots of reasons: More collector interest in any gun of the type, magazine articles ("Get That Old Gun Out Of The Closet And Shootin' Again!"), historical romanticism, Jim Bell starting to make basic cases for a lot of hard to find stuff, people who read Grant's single shot books (the scarcer the cartridge, the better he liked it) and so on. Also, all of those guns keep getting older. Some of them are over the hundred year mark now where they weren't back in the good old days. And, of course, the best way to make your guns (or any collector's items) more valuable is to write a book on them. Lots of books out there now that weren't available back then.

Boolit Master
    You may also find that many people wanted a certain rifle when younger and could not afford it, and now they can even if only to shoot it once in awhile. there are also many other people in this hobbyy that also have the ability to make cases for these weapons and so good ones are scarce. I have a number of what were once called wildcats that are now more common, that I enjoy, because not everyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    I know a lot of folks are going to come back with the " Supply and Demand thing" but somehow it doesn't seem to fit any plausible answer.
    Reality can't be ignored. Understanding of basic economics is important.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife has two Winchester Model 43, in 218 Bee, and I am amazed at the money they are asking for (and getting) when sold.

Boolit Master
    I feel your pain, I like the old/odd and obscure stuff too. If it requires some fettling at the press with something other than its original brass that fits, I like it! There is something satisfying about having to really make the entire cartridge for said gun because it can't be obtained without selling your first born child to get ammo. Its a big satisfaction to pull the bang switch on a gun like that!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed