Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 - So Far So Good But Pay Attention To The Install!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I like to use a wireless mouse with a laptop, I dislike touchpads. If you use a mouse you can probably turn off the touchpad in the machine's cmos settings.
    I'm the same way. I only use the touchpad for quick sessions. The swipe function would drive me nuts so thankfully I haven't ran into the problem. But now that you mention it my Stepdaughter's laptop has the same issue and she's running Win7. More of an issue w/ Asus then the OS.

I like to use a wireless mouse with a laptop, I dislike touchpads. If you use a mouse you can probably turn off the touchpad in the machine's cmos settings.

Then there is this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...ndows8.700550/
    Thanks Doug, I found the 'gestures' in the 'control panel', switched everything off that didn't look like a basic
    mouse function, if this don't do it I'll be getting me a mouse.

Boolit Master
    Phones, tablets, and notebooks are useless and inefficient for most of what I do on my computer. I use my phone for maps and quickbooks and did use my tablet for the same. I have to have mobile devices for business use.

A desktop is much more efficient when I am at home and can sit and use it. Typing on anything other than a full size ergonomic keyboard is useless, for me. The 22" monitor is a nice size and stays in place vs. a laptop. My chair is comfortable. It would be pointless for me to have to lean forward and swipe a screen, even if my desktop was a touch screen. A mouse and keyboard takes less movement than a touch screen and I don't have to block the view of the screen. I can type and use the mouse without having to look at them.

Touchpads are less efficient than my wireless mouse with all of the extra buttons. A laptop is just a bigger mobile device and I have never liked using them. The screen is bigger, but the keyboards are awful for me, since I have to search for the right key and they are close together. I can not type well at all, on a laptop and a standard keyboard is very hard to use. I can type pretty quickly on my MS Natural keyboard.

I just don't see how people could get used to doing everything on a laptop.

Touch screens are a pita to type on or to click on links. I have the Droid Turbo, which is a nice sized phone, but it still limits me too much due to screen size.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    People need to face the facts. Desktops are dying for personal use. Businesses will continue to use them. But they are almost dead in the home.
    Newp.. Desktops are for hoarding stuff like years and years of downloaded music and files, decades of personal photos and videos. Desktops will stay around simply because you can make them fault tolerant with mirrored or striped arrays of disks. We don't have a "man cave" here we have a small office/network in the back bedroom strewn with computers and monitors and UPS power supplies. Some of my backups are going to the safe deposit box at the bank soon, two machines have several terabytes of RAID arrays each, this is nothing out of the ordinary for someone who wants to keep stuff and not lose it in the event a drive goes tits up which they will.

Laptops and other portable devices won't work very well for this, they are hard to type on, and their storage is limited to two rotational spindles and whatever memory you can cram into them. Nobody wants their stuff flung out into digital space on a "cloud" because sooner or later the info-sniffing hounds of tomorrow will be barking at your door demanding you give them access to all your stuff. Or accessing it as they please regardless of your knowledge or consent.

Laptops and smartphones are fine for traveling and on site work but they will never displace home computers as primary storage and internet usage.

I see rotational storage going the way of the dinosaur and quite soon at that, but that will be the biggest change for a while to come.

Quote Originally Posted by pressonregardless View Post
    Thanks Doug, I found the 'gestures' in the 'control panel', switched everything off that didn't look like a basic
    mouse function, if this don't do it I'll be getting me a mouse.
    I HATE HATE HATE computers that annoy the cr@p out of me over and over again doing the same stupid stuff.

Win 8.1 had two or three very annoying habits, it would choose a randomly generated path to a folder you NEVER used, and ask to download a file there, INSTEAD of like maybe suggesting to put it in the LAST folder you saved a file in? Making me work to back out of the idiotic location, and navigate to the location I wanted to store the file in. It did this over and over and over.

Then it would open my file manager to my User profile location, and expand it so that the actual drives on my machine were all the way to the bottom, and you had to close the tree, then scroll omg I grew SO weary of it's behavior.

When you created a new folder, it would default to list view, and there was no way to change that to details view so for all the time I used Win 8, I had to constantly correct the folders and change them to details view. I bet I wasted at least 6 months of my life if you added up all the backtracking I had to do because I could not make ONE change, in one central place, that would have made it behave in an orderly, consistent fashion like I chose. Used to piss me off to no end.

So far, Windows 10 defaults to the last used folder to save a file to. YAYYYYYY!!!!!!! I could just jump up and down! It seems to remember details view but I am still going to search for a reghack that makes it system wide by default. And last but not least, it lets me choose "THIS PC" as my default view when the file manager opens! In a year, that will have saved me a countless amount of time.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-02-2015 at 10:32 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Windows 10 - So Far So Good But Pay Attention To The Install!

Laptops and smartphones are fine for traveling and on site work but they will never displace home computers as primary storage and internet usage.
    I get laugh when people say things such as this. Ask anyone under 25 if they have a desktop at home. Younger people don't buy and use desktops anymore. Unless they're a gamer. I'm 36 and I don't have one anymore. W/ the price of external hard drives there is no need for desktops anymore.

I understand the use for them. But people aren't buying them for personal use. My parents ditched their desktop and each have their own laptop now. Every one of my 14yo step daughter's friends has a laptop. Wasn't long ago that the family had one desktop computer for everyone.

Ask anyone under twenty how they watch television. First they will say they don't. They watch everything on their laptop. Desktops are great for high resource tasks. But for general internet usage the phone/tablet/laptop have taken over.

Boolit Master

Loved XP. Just got used to 8.1 . Did the "upgrade", Laptop starts up slower now, the "Edge" deal doesn't work at all, which is fine, I'll stay with Chrome. If I had an "undo" button I'd use it !

My desktop converted OK, I've recently moved and my only issue I have had is getting my old LaserJet hooked up and running. Finding settings not as easy. My laptop won't install. Tried 4 or 5 times. Gets most of the way thru install and bails. I'm ignoring it now.

Boolit Master

Windows 10, ate my front door page. I had to get a computer guy to fix it. Cost some bucks. Now, opens up without the first page, but 10 overall slowed down several items.
    I will get used to it, but it sucks. I never voluntarily downloaded it either. It down loaded by itself.
    In time. Just not now.

Boolit Master
    I get laugh when people say things such as this. Ask anyone under 25 if they have a desktop at home. Younger people don't buy and use desktops anymore. Unless they're a gamer. I'm 36 and I don't have one anymore. W/ the price of external hard drives there is no need for desktops anymore.

I understand the use for them. But people aren't buying them for personal use. My parents ditched their desktop and each have their own laptop now. Every one of my 14yo step daughter's friends has a laptop. Wasn't long ago that the family had one desktop computer for everyone.

Ask anyone under twenty how they watch television. First they will say they don't. They watch everything on their laptop. Desktops are great for high resource tasks. But for general internet usage the phone/tablet/laptop have taken over.
    I am 34 years old, don't play games anymore and have cable tv and internet, but only watch recorded shows on my Tivo. Many, but not all, people may be going mobile only. Mobile devices are an all around trade off to make them mobile. They lack screen size, a real keyboard, real mouse, and often times processing speed. On my android devices with firefox, they sometimes don't display web sites correctly or allow me to use their features even when I choose desktop site only.

Some people are willing to make due with these drawbacks, but I want the right tool for the job at hand. Sometimes the mobile devices are the right tool and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, but my desktop is the most efficient for me. Maybe I am a bit too old.............I learned computers on an Apple IIe in the second or third grade and studied in the Cisco networking program in high school and college. Napster was big in high school and college and broadband internet for homes was not the norm yet, but was becoming more popular.

I am still sticking with 8.1 for now. I'm sure there are some things about 10 that are better, but I am not sold on the privacy issues and I don't want to get drug into a subscription where they charge every year and make major changes all of the time (I have heard they are already forcing updates on 8.1 so who knows if it will remain any better).

Different strokes for different folks!

Boolit Master
    Windoze 10 decided to install itself on my moms computer in the middle of the night last night. The squawking this morning was unbelievable!
    The first thing I said is, "this screen looks like a dang phone!"
    I was able to reverse the install back to Windows 7.

For those who think you don't need a desktop anymore, you obviously don't do any graphic design or photoshop work.

Boolit Grand Master

No one said everyone doesn't need one. For the majority of people they don't. As much as I can handle all of my work on my phone I prefer to do it on a laptop.

Nope. When I can no longer run Windows 7, I'll go completely to Linux.

Boolit Buddy
    I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. Absolutely love it !!

Since I am not an expert, I chickened out and had a knowledgeable friend do it for me. Gave him DougGuy's instructions, which he followed. He said it was a piece of cake....charlie

Boolit Master

Younger people don't buy and use desktops anymore.
    That's right! I'm 50 and haven't had a desktop since Windows 98. Why would anyone want a computer you can't take with you?

I did install Windows 10 and it's a work in progress at best. Some of the things I liked on 8.1 have showed up on 10 in updates.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12