RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullseye for 45acp

Bullseye for 45acp

Short and simple. I have been loading 9mm with some bulleseye i found localy. Pistol powders are few and far bettwen around here so i was looking at using what i have to start loading for a 1911 i have recently aquired. I have load data for the powder in question but i was wondering about the suitablilty of the powder for the cartridge. I know its good for the 9 due to the quick burn rate but not so sure about the lower pressure 45 any experence or advice is appreciated
    I cast therefor I shoot. Or is it the outher way around?

Boolit Master
    Bullseye has been used for a long time in .45acp, I currently load Bullseye under a 185gr SWC with HI-TEK coating for NRA Action shooting, getting 1.25" groups at 25 yards with a rest.

Oh my...how soon things are forgotten. Bullseye was the original design powder for the 45 ACP round and since that time many billions of UGI and commercial rounds have been loaded with Bullseye. Now throw in more billions of round handloaded with Bullseye and you will get some idea of whether or not Bullseye is suitable for the 45 ACP round.

Bullseye is the gold standard, it it would be more accurate to ask if any powder other than Bullseye, is suitable for use in the 45 ACP round. Some are, but it all started with Bullseye.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    5 grains with the 230 FMJ was the original "hardball" load.
    4.2 grains with either a 200-grain lead, or 185-grain jacketed SWC was the wadcutter load.
    4.5 grains with 230 lead was the Auto Rim load.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks for the quick replys. I am still in the reserch phase with this round. Ill admit im still new to reloading and have a lot to learn but having all the people on here to bounce ideas off of is a tremdus help. To all on the fourum a big thank u from a newb

Boolit Grand Master

I have been using Bullseye powder in the 45 ACP for 45+ years. As mentioned it was the original powder for the 45 ACP and has been used in a bajillian target and service rounds since. I have been loading 5 gr under 190 - 230 gr cast bullets in the 45 ACP for many years, probably most of the 45 years mentioned as it was my standard practice and IPSC load with the 200 - 205 gr SCW's. I have not gone wrong with that load, ever.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Oh my...how soon things are forgotten. Bullseye was the original design powder for the 45 ACP round and since that time many billions of UGI and commercial rounds have been loaded with Bullseye. Now throw in more billions of round handloaded with Bullseye and you will get some idea of whether or not Bullseye is suitable for the 45 ACP round.

Bullseye is the gold standard, it it would be more accurate to ask if any powder other than Bullseye, is suitable for use in the 45 ACP round. Some are, but it all started with Bullseye.
    The above statement may not be holy writ but for the purpose of bullseye and .45 acp it's close enough I've put literally hundreds of thousands or .45 lead round noses down range in idpa and plinking haven't found anything better nor more consistent than bullseye, some cleaner but none better and I tried as may other powders as I could afford. Get a good manual then get another, and watch for double charges, it can happen with bullseye and 10 grains of the stuff in a 45 case would be ........exciting to say the least. If you can find bullseye locally buy all you can afford this spring I got a great deal on 6 pounds and it's the first and last I've seen for sale on a shelf in years!

I think there have been more rounds reloaded with Bullseye than with any other powder in the history of the world.

Boolit Master
    I have used anywhere from 6.0 to 3.4 with most bullets used in the 45 acp.

I really like the 6 grain load.

I bought a pound of bulleseye when i got started. Got half a pound of it left. Since i now know i can use it for both. Im gona have to stock up.

Bulleye is a very versatile power, excellent for most handgun rounds shy of full snort magnum loads. Also very good for sub-sonic plain base cast bullet loads in rifle. In these days of expensive and hard to find powder it makes even more sense and it doesn't take much powder to get the job done.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Ditto to everything said above, I buy Bullseye every time I see it for sale and, I don't think I own a pistol that hasn't felt its heat. Yep, Bullseye will make very fine 45 ACP loads.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    For what it's worth - (I don't reload 45 ACP) - my 2nd and 3rd edition of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook lists Bullsey for all the lead boolit weights/designs in their 45 ACP Data.

Le Loup Solitaire
    The time honored classic load for the 45ACP with 185 grain SWC has always been 3.5 grains of Bullseye. 3.0 grains has also worked for me as well as 4.0-4.1 grains of Red Dot with the 230 grain RN bullet. LLS

Banned
    5gr of Bullseye w/230 for 50+ yrs

Boolit Buddy
    I tried to develop some loads using bullseye but ended up sticking with unique for the 45. mostly because all my bullseye is reserved for the 9mm

Boolit Master

Bullseye powder is really better suited for the 45 acp than the 9mm I, have always gotten my best accuracy in the 9mm with med fast to med burning speed powder's .
    For the 45 acp I have tried other fast powders and have found several just as accurate, never found any that were more accurate .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    Bullseye powder is really better suited for the 45 acp than the 9mm I, have always gotten my best accuracy in the 9mm with med fast to med burning speed powder's .
    For the 45 acp I have tried other fast powders and have found several just as accurate, never found any that were more accurate .
    Have you tried Promo in the .45 ACP? If so, how did it compare to Bullseye?

Good old Bullseye. Works good in most all applications. Best in some but adaquate in most all cases. I have had good results with AA#2, W231, Reddot,Greendot, Unique,AA#5, well I think you get the picture. Long story short the absolute best in comprise for me after I discovered PowerPistol was that it actually works best for Velocity and accuracy in 95% of everything I load. If I could only have one powder it would be PowerPistol. If I could have 2 powders my second chioce would be good old Bullseye !
    Last edited by GoodAlloy; 07-29-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Boolit Master

The only problem with Bullseye is the availability. I have gone to other powders such as ETR-7 just because I can't find any Bullseye, at least in my area and on the web.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast