RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: MAS 36 rear sight........

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

MAS 36 rear sight........

I inherited a French MAS 36 years ago and finally got fresh brass from Graf. Loaded it and took it to our local range. The gun groups fairly decently at 100 yards, but about 1' or so to the right. I went to adjust the windage and discovered that you can't.....there's no provision for it at all.

After some research, I found that the rifle is designed this way and that windage changes are made by changing out the entire rear sight aperture for another one. Each is evidently marked in centimeters (I think) and either right or left, depending on which way you want the point of impact to change. Fine.......I guess the average French soldier can't be taught sight adjustment and I learned something about French arms design, but that doesn't help me much.

Does anyone know where replacement rear sight apertures can be obtained? Nothing comes up at Gun Parts Inc. or any of the other suppliers I know of. Has anyone come up with a modification of some sort to allow adjusment?

Boolit Master
    The Mas 36 front sight is soft soldered in place, takes just a little heat and sight can then be drifted in the dovetail to suit.

If the Mas 36 shoots high, just press down on rear aperture and insert shim to lower.

Boolit Master

Thank you! I knew there had to be a way............

As I'm sure you noticed the front sight is also incredibly wide. It is a fairly common modification to slim it down so that it doesn't look like a shovel handle covering your target. If it is a somewhat small adjustment you require you could do some creative filing and take out two birds with one stone so to speak.

I haven't really tried to do anything serious with the 36 yet but if I ever do, that sight on mine is going on a diet!

Boolit Master
    Fine.......I guess the average French soldier can't be taught sight adjustment
    Most likely this method was used at the factory or by company armorers for preliminary siting in. If the rear sight was too far off at the factory then the front sight would have to be drifted way to far to compensate.
    They always wanted the initial factory sighting to be very close to dead center.

If there was no windage adjustment then it would be less likely for any particular rifle to be adjusted too far to one side or the other to make up for a soldier's poor shooting form, the next man to use the rifle not being able to hit anything with it.

As for the thick front blade I've seen a French rifle, don't remember the model, with a very wide blade with a gulley down the center. The shooter was supposed to center his target in the gulley.

Boolit Master

As for the thick front blade I've seen a French rifle, don't remember the model, with a very wide blade with a gulley down the center. The shooter was supposed to center his target in the gulley.
    As I recall, those were/are often seen on the WWI Mle 1888 La Belle infantry rifles or its replacement, the Berthier rifle, also used in the Great War. I've tried to sight with that system years ago and it's just amazing that anyone came up with that monstrosity of a system. Must have been a drunken "Good Idea Fairy" flying around at the St. Etienne arsenal I guess.

I found this photo of the odd sight on the internet.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-21-2015 at 02:37 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30CAL-TEXAN View Post
    As I'm sure you noticed the front sight is also incredibly wide. It is a fairly common modification to slim it down so that it doesn't look like a shovel handle covering your target. If it is a somewhat small adjustment you require you could do some creative filing and take out two birds with one stone so to speak.

I haven't really tried to do anything serious with the 36 yet but if I ever do, that sight on mine is going on a diet!
    That's an excellent idea. The front sight does look something like a telephone pole when you're using it and I think you're right....it would kill two birds with one stone. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    JMO. The Mas 36 has battle sights which serve very well. Just try to get on a fast moving target with a paper punching thin needle front sight.

Oh I think you are absolutely correct Hang Fire, for a battle sight it probably served quite well. Nice and beefy to boot which is another good quality for a combat arm but if someone wants to do some target shooting with the ol' gal a thinner blade is certainly in order.