RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Neck sized recommendations?

Boolit Buddy

Neck sized recommendations?

I need a neck sized for 270 win brass. Anyone use the Lee collet die? My thinking is I can make specific size collects to fit the die, so I can adjust neck tension to exactly what I need.
    Thought I may be able to skip having to use. 278 M die expander if I can adjust neck sized to my specs. Less working of the brass cases should give longer case life.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    The Lee collet die is semi adjustable by changing the diameter of the mandrel.

The mandrel can be polished down if you want more squeeze. If you want less squeeze back up the die slightly.

I would not count on making different collets - it would be an all day job to make a set of blanks.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

REding and some others make neck sizing and even full length dies that use bushing to size the neck portion of the case. I have them in 223, 243, 308, 40 - 65, and 45-70 ( mecham die last 2). These dies allow changing neck tension by simply changing the bushing to appropriate size needed. Case life is improved along with being able to adjust neck tension of the loaded round.

Boolit Master
    I like the lee collet sizers. You don't have to purchase extra parts (bushings) Just screw the die in or out to the desired dia.

Banned
    Forster neck sizer with bushings the exact size you want is the best in my opinion. I use them for all BR, tactical, & match type bolts. That being said, I basically use Lee collet for for everything else that I neck size although I have lots of others that I also use in Redding, RCBS.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I like the lee collet sizers. You don't have to purchase extra parts (bushings) Just screw the die in or out to the desired dia.
    As one other posted, don't you have to squeeze the neck down onto a specific size mandrel to create a specific size neck inside diameter?

Either way you should probably still flair the case mouth to avoid boolit shaving. So you will still have to run your brass over an expander to at least form a mouth flair. It will still result in less working of the neck.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Neck sizers from Redding and Forster allow you to try dif. sized bushings which will give you the chance to try dif. case neck tension.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advice guys.