Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in building a .308 AR

Boolit Buddy

Excellent point, forgot about that myself.. but both of my 308s wear JP round tubes with no rail mating up to the upper. The add-on rails can be either cowitnessed or raised to match the profile on the taller upper. I actually run a std on top of my tactical build to add a buis, but with the AR332, I don't have room for a rear sight. I am awaiting my Strike Eagle and then I may likely add front and rear flips. I run a tall rail section on the underside in front for a bipod to attach.

Pics of the tactical build.. (sorry, pupper kinda photobombed that one.... lol)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2645 small.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	145136
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2646small.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	145137

Banned
    Just put the Aero U&L in the Brownells cart.

It specifically says it is compatible with DPMS & it says works with hi profile hand guards.

So if I can get a complete lower at a decent price I will have an extra lower for $150. If not I'm set for a project.

I've made 4 or 5 AR15s, from a 14" entry gun to a 28" HB sniper that shoots 3" at 600 so guess I'll be getting into a "new" area of the hobby with .308 ARs.

Have always been a M14 guy but at 70 just can't see the dam sites good & my scoped M14 is kind of hard to weld up my cheek position & the mounts arn't great for precision so now the flat tops scoped up are where to go.

Boolit Buddy

You'll have a blast! I did..

Forgot to add, BCG is also specific to the style of upper/bbl, AR-10 is different than a 308AR DPMS style.

Sounds like you have a good grip on it! I've built a handful of ar15s as well, in different calibers. However, the most exciting thing to me has been working towards the ar308 build. I have not yet acquired all the components necessary, but I'm spending a good chunk of change to go all out the first time around. Nitrided BCG, Velocity single stage trigger, Billet matched upper and lower, and a Proof Research barrel. One of these days I'll be able to finish it

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    I don't remember reading what mags the Ruger Precision Rifle uses. It would be awesome if they picked up on using Magpul pmags for 308 though
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...recision-rifle

While the project was originally intended to utilize only SR25 and Magpul PMAGs, along the way Ruger’s design team, led by Jonathan Mather, devised a method that allowed them to greatly increase the rifle’s magazine compatibility, the final result being what the company is calling its Multi-Magazine Interface. The MMI, for which Ruger has been awarded one of the gun’s seven patents, allows the Precision Rifle to operate using a plethora of both rear- and side-latching box magazines chambered for .308 Win. (.243 Win. and 6.5 mm Creedmoor cartridges will also feed through unmodified .308 Win. magazines). Examples of compatible magazines include: DPMS, M110, SR25, PMAG and AICS.

Externally the MMI appears to function much like a standard, rear-latching, M14-style magazine release, but inside the magazine well a little something extra is occurring. It essentially works in two stages—once the magazine release, which is located just forward of the trigger guard, has been pressed forward far enough, a side bar is set into motion that also actuates the side latch. Simple yet effective. The gun comes supplied with two 10-round Magpul PMAGs. It is possible that some AR-10 and M14 magazines may also function through the Precision Rifle, but Ruger warns that—due to those magazines’ wider tolerance ranges and varied production histories—most will not.

http://www.championfirearms.com/Ruge...10-p/18010.htm
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-22-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Awesome! To me, that's just another bonus feature for a rifle that already looks amazing!

I don't remember reading what mags the Ruger Precision Rifle uses. It would be awesome if they picked up on using Magpul pmags for 308 though
    That is what they have done. Their new rifle comes with Pmags. They also accept ACI mags. Today when you log into Rugers site you get a popup advertisement for the new Precision Rifle. Looks like a winner to me. I just don't need another rifle.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Banned
    Well my U/L are on the way from Brownells. Now I need to sell the AR10 lower to start building this thing. I STILL don't know which way I'm going. Match or entry!

Why not a little of both? Get yourself an 18" barrel and have a little versatility. I personally went for something more long range, as I figure my 300 blackout or my ak would function better as an "entry" type weapon

Banned
    Really don't want to have a tweener.

What I want to find is a AR type 4 or 6 position stock that works for M14s. Someone said they are out there but I've never found one or any info. Since I already have a shorty M14 with a BM59 folding stock, it would be a good thing if I could do that & the entry gun in 308 is solved. I've got 2 AR15s all tricked up entry guns so 308 would round it out.

Since I'm a one hole at 1000 type guy, I'll "probably" go with a match type gun. Well see.

I went with the match type build myself. I don't know of any multi position stocks for the m14... If you want an up close and personal weapon for entry with a lot of punch, there is always the option of having a tactical shotgun with slugs... can't really beat that

Banned
    I have several of those. My bed side shotgun is a short barrel coach gun with hammers.

I went with the match type build myself. I don't know of any multi position stocks for the m14... If you want an up close and personal weapon for entry with a lot of punch, there is always the option of having a tactical shotgun with slugs... can't really beat that
    20 gage rifled with round balls.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Nothing says "Get out of my house with whatever is left of you" better than a shotgun slug

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    What I want to find is a AR type 4 or 6 position stock that works for M14s. Someone said they are out there but I've never found one or any info.
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod26405.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Troy-M14-MCS-M.../dp/B004YZAIDG

http://www.impactguns.com/sage-m14-t...k-m14alcs.aspx

http://www.m14.ca/manuals/M14MCSmod1Manual.pdf

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/...ALCS-CVHB.html

Banned
    Thanks, I've seen them. I was looking for a regular M14 stock with a collapsible stock. I like the configuration I have with my rifle. It has ghost rings front & rear with a trijicon, 14" match brl. Basically I want a stock the same as the BM59 folder, except collapsible.

Boolit Grand Master

Banned
    Man your good. Yep that'l do it.
    Thanks
    Tom

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    I have been debating just selling the Armalite lower & get a DPMS set & go from there.

Gitu your DPMS was able to take about any brand parts, correct? Same with you Sticky? Cool rifle! I have been told that with the Armalite & need an AR upper or it's a real circle jerk & they are about twice the cost of DPMS.

What about mags? I have about 20 AR10 mags & a whole lot of M14s so I would like to not have to get a bunch of "other" brand mags. What mags fit all you guys rifles?

Still would like some info on the Aero Precision Upper/Lower that Brownells has on sale. Sure wish I had got the DPMS when CDNN had them on sale.

I do know that I don't want to mess with completing a receiver, I want to get them complete.

I had no fitment issues with the lower parts kit, handguard or magazines (DPMS, Magpul and I think Stoner makes some that will fit an LR-308 as well).

Boolit Master

My AR10 was an original Portuguese Kit. That was probably 20 years ago. Everything went together perfect. Just saying.

I wish I still had that Rifle. It was awesome!

Doug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast