Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to cut pure lead cylinder using ordinary household implements?

Boolit Master

How to cut pure lead cylinder using ordinary household implements?

I have a few inches of 10.xx centimeter pure lead cable/wire. I want to cut off a few pieces of cylinder for an experiment. But I have no saws or bolt cutters or chisels, etc. Using what any reasonably equipped home might have on hand, what would be a way to cut off those pieces? I don't want to farm this small job to any shop; I want to do it myself.

Oh yes, I also prefer not to create much lead dust to breath.
    Last edited by Naphtali; 06-24-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Typographical error 10 cm rather than 1 cm
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

I just started cutting lead pipe "3/4" inch pipe with a limb lopper, cuts it good!
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master
    What do you consider to be reasonably well equipped?

To me, it would include an old chisel or some sort of saw. I can't guess as to what you do have on hand.

Chisels and hammers are not expensive or hard to come by and would work if it is only 1 cm in diameter. A pruning saw might do or pruning shears or a long arm pruner may cut through it just as it would a 1" branch.

A propane torch would melt it into segments. Linesmans pliers or good side cutters would likely cut that, but of course it will smash the lead as well and it won't be circular. A steak knife might cut through that wire, but don't use it for food afterwards.

Boolit Master

I'd try rolling the cylinder under a strong knife blade, back and forth, to deepen the cut. Then twist off the piece.

Boolit Master

I made an error that I corrected. I type 1.0xx cm but I meant to type 10.xx cm.
    My "tool kit" has hammers, screw drivers and wrenches, small wire cutters, meat scissors. many pliers, tools for minor plasterboard repair, minor electrical repair tools and testers, a bazillion kitchen and hunting knives (from inexpensive to absurdly high quality), trowels, tools for minor concrete repair, the usual tools for cartridge gun and muzzleloader maintenance, a SOG high-end multitool, etc.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Borrow a saws-all? 10cm = ~4" disk? You want thinner disks? Seems like melting it into a proper sized mould (4" steel pipe?) then flattening the top would be a whole lot easier.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    I'd go buy a hacksaw. If you don't want to drop the $15-20 for a cheap one, you can get one of those plastic frames that holds a hacksaw blade for $5 or so at Home Depot.

Boolit Grand Master

A simple hacksaw will do the job. cut only on the foreward stroke lifting slightly or rear stroke ( this helps to allow chips to clear the blade and the blade only cuts in one direction) occassionally fill blade with chalk board chaulk. This acts as a cutting lubricant and helps to keep blade from loading up. Cut slow and easy lead is soft and its easy to over load the teeth.

Boolit Master
    If you have a drill you could drill a bunch of holes in it. If you have no drill nor saw I think you are out of luck. You could try the hammer and a knife you don't like and bang away.

Boolit Master

Obviously, the problem you are having is due to you being in Montana and you are measuring things in centimeters.

Stumbled across the border, eh?

A hydraulic log splitter supposedly works pretty well.

Boolit Master
    Try a pruning saw from your gardening tool stash.
    I have used the ultra-coarse pruning blade with good success on 3" lead!
    Every shop needs a reciprocating saw though. With a coarse blade they go though lead like cheese.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Axe/hatchet
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Hacksaw with fairly course blade. The directions earlier regarding proper stroke and using chalk were excellent. I have watched and experienced millwright cut a chunk of beam while hanging out of a basket 30 ft. in the air with a hand hacksaw faster than most (including me) could do it with a sawzall. Always amazed me how many people did not know that most files and saws cut primarily in one direction of the stroke. 7th grade shop class if dad had not already imparted that wisdom to my little noggin.

Hacksaw is a handy tool in general so if you don't have one it is a useful inexpensive addition to the tool box. They do show up in garage sales but not sure I would fool around looking rather than just go buy one new. But I have seen some pretty high quality ones for a low price at garage sales.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    An ax does a fine job. How precise do the cuts have to be?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    I made an error that I corrected. I type 1.0xx cm but I meant to type 10.xx cm.
    My "tool kit" has hammers, screw drivers and wrenches, small wire cutters, meat scissors. many pliers, tools for minor plasterboard repair, minor electrical repair tools and testers, a bazillion kitchen and hunting knives (from inexpensive to absurdly high quality), trowels, tools for minor concrete repair, the usual tools for cartridge gun and muzzleloader maintenance, a SOG high-end multitool, etc.
    Take a cheap knife that you have and bang on the cylinder with it and a hammer all of the way around it several times then use the pliers to flex it back and forth until it breaks. That is if you can't bang through it with the knife and hammer in the first place. Lead is pretty soft.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    How can any man not have tools

Boolit Master
    "How can any man not have tools "

I had that same thought I love tools, can't do without them, I lust over tools at home depot, lowes, etc.

Ok enough of that, No striking tools are going to do the job he wants. Obviously he want to cut the disc without mashing it out of shape. He will need a saw. A cheap handsaw from any store will do the job. Also some chalk as mentioned above. BTW How long is the cylinder? how do you plan to hold it for cutting?
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    old breadknife
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Take a cheap knife that you have and bang on the cylinder with it and a hammer all of the way around it several times then use the pliers to flex it back and forth until it breaks. That is if you can't bang through it with the knife and hammer in the first place. Lead is pretty soft.
    Plus 1- no expense, and I'm sure it will work, although haven't done it.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Key word here............TEETH. Use a saw (wood keyhole or tree cutting) with as few number of teeth per inch as you can find.

A 24 or 34 TPI hacksaw will wear you out! And will do a very poor job of cutting soft lead. You do NOT need a metal cutting blade to cut lead. I cut it all the time with a 8TPI wood band saw blade! Go slow or the heat will build up and gaul your blade in the middle of the cut. A total mess.

Any wood handsaw will give you a good clean ACCURATE cut. Chisels/hatchets/axes/hammers will only make a total mess of your lead project. And it sounds like you want some accurate thin lead cylinders, right?

And lead does NOT make airborne dust. It is just too heavy. It does make fine cuttings you can save and re-melt.

A wood cutting blade is your "little friend".

bangerjim