Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250 savage

Boolit Mold

250 savage

What is the best case to use to form 250 savage cases?

In Remembrance
    308 brass......I just got done making a few hundred of those. Well........I still need to finish reaming them, then trim and clean and anneal.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

.22-250 suits me fine. Long Tapered expander, .250 sizing die, trim as required and shoot.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    .22-250 suits me fine. Long Tapered expander, .250 sizing die, trim as required and shoot.
    I'll second that, except using COW and fire forming. The .250 Savage was the base case for the original .22-250 wildcat. First chambered by Browning in 1963, with no commercial ammo production. Picked up by Remington in 1965 joining rifles with commercial ammo production.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Buddy
    ^^ 22-250 is the easy way just lube inside and out size load and shoot to fire form.
    CC

Boolit Master
    Seems like .22-250 brass is in short supply right now - at least everywhere I've looked.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Seems like .22-250 brass is in short supply right now - at least everywhere I've looked.
    Have you checked the want adds? How many you looking for? Is once fired ok?

Motor

Boolit Mold
    Depending on cost probably 100 in good shape. ED

Boolit Man

Previously known as the Constitution state
    And just when the reloading supplies were starting to loosen up...............
    “A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, ‘You are mad; you are not like us.'” St. Anthony the Great

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

Rudyard Kipling

Boolit Buddy
    6.5x47 lapua brass would also make fine 250 savage with minimal work

Boolit Master
    Just looked on Gun Broker - almost 40 listings of various amounts of both new and fired .22-250 brass. You might not like the price, but it is available. 2 listings of 100 Win @ $48.00 with no bids ending in 7+ hours (plus shipping), 100 Federal new primed for $69.99 bid/$79.99 Buy and $7.00 shipping, 3 lots offered. And more.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone

Boolit Bub

Howdy
    I am in the process of making these myself. I am using military 30-06 (so I don't get confused with the different head stamp). Anneal the brass first, very important. Then use a 308 size die to begin moving the shoulder down, don't set this die all the way down as the shoulder angles are different and I'm figuring a little wiggle room is needed, I may be wrong but I just want to make sure and don't forget to lube the case. Then f/l size in the 250 Savage die, don't forget to lube case, without the decapping rod and pin or you will have a stuck case (been there done that). Then cut using whatever means you have, I use a real small pipe cutter to get close. Then use the decapping rod that has the expender to make the inside of the mouth correct in a universal decapping (or a big caliber) die body. Then finish trimming to length. You will then need to outside neck trim or you can inside neck trim if you have the proper reamer. I am sure everyone does case reforming differently based on the equipment that they have on hand. A little long winded, sorry.

Boolit Mold
    What about forming from 22-250?

Boolit Buddy

+1 on Zippidy's note above- purchase/find quality 22-250, anneal, neck up using tapered expander, full length size, ream just because (won't need it at all), SHOOT

Boolit Mold
    I do have some new unfired 22-250 brass available if interested send private msg

Boolit Bub
    I have two 250 savages that I feed by necking up 22-250 brass.
    Do not forget to lube inside and out! Not lubing cases will keep you entertained for a while.
    Removing stuck cases out of your die can be very interesting.

Boolit Buddy
    I use LC .308 brass. 22-250 is easier though. Any reformed brass was better/lasts longer than factory stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    22-250 brass. Lapua is much better in size, closer to spec in diameter at web instead of so undersized like many brands are.
    Helps with sloppy oversize chambers, too.

Boolit Master
    You guys do know that 22-250 and 250 Savage have slightly different shoulder angles and use different head space dimensions?
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast