Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: magma master caster

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased my first Master Caster in the early 1980's and in my opinion, it is one of the most under-rated products out there in the American shooters market place. I ACTUALY FEEL SORRY FOR THOSE THAT HAVE TO CAST THEIR BULLETS BY HAND; WHEN THEY COULD AFFORD A MASTER CASTER. THEY JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MISSING.

The Master Caster is compact. Only about 18 INCHES HIGH and maybe (including handle) 12 INCHES ACROSS, so I am sure almost everyone would have someplace where they could set up their Master Caster. The only proviso is that you need someplace where you can BOLT IT TO A BENCH OR TABLE SOLIDLY.

For some strange reasons, Magma Engineering claims that the Master Caster cannot be used to cast hollow based Minie Balls, nor can their machine be modified to do so. Over the past 20 odd years I have cast hundreds of thousands of hollow based Minie Balls with no problem on my Master Caster. I use my RCBS iron Minie Ball mould with a "floating" base pin.

Another great advantage of the Master Caster is that the 40 pound lead pot is big enough to accept and melt "industry standard" 60 pound ingots. The trick is, of course, is to suspend the ingot in the pot from a simple overhead chain hoist. Obviously only 35-40 pounds of the ingot can be melted on the first melt.

The simple fact is that after you learn how to use the machine, you can cast better, more uniform bullets that are more accurate than you can by hand casting-and a heck of a lot easier.

You can modify most Lyman, RCBS, etc bullet moulds to fit your Master Caster-you just have to change the sprue plates. (Note: You can't use those aluminum moulds on a Master Caster, as the machine will literally 'eat an aluminum mould alive.') Magma Engineering sells additional sprue plates you can use to modify iron moulds made by Lyman, RCBS, etc. on the machine.

So I recommend the Master Caster highly. I will never go back to casting by hand!

Boolit Man
    Southron Sanders, that'a great about being able to cast HB Minis on a MC. What type of mod did you have to do to the RCBS mold to make it work or did you have to make some sort of limiter on the MC for travel? I've been dreading making any of my hollow based bullets after being spoiled by my MC.

Has anyone done a left-hand/right-hand conversion on their MC?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12