RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Mrod and suppressed 77/22 side by side.

Mrod and suppressed 77/22 side by side.

I have always heard how quite the Benjamin marauder is and it makes a lot less noise than a Discovery but still not as quite as a suppressed 22.

Perma-Banned

ok, now I need to get a marauder. I should have never watched this video.

The tax stamp and "can" alone cost more than the Maurader! To me on small vermin(and casual target shooting) to 50-75 yards the 22LR is now obsolete. Ammo availability make it a huge advantage.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Buddy
    Like my .177 Marauder....

Vendor Sponsor

My 25 cal mrod is quieter than a 22 lr and most subsonic ammo and suppressor
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I recently picked up an Air Arms SL510 in .25 caliber.While it is a few decibels higher than a suppressed .22 bolt action using subsonic ammo, it isn't much.The .25 is still quiet enough that it doesn't disturb the squirrels or any neighbors.I just wish I had bought a pre charged pneumatic rifle years ago.Now that I have a shoebox compressor and a couple of tanks I shoot much more than I ever did my rimfires.I am still amazed at the accuracy of these air rifles and their power.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Grand Master

There are air rifles that rival big bore game getters and have taken dangerous game in Africa. They are definitely not toys!

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    The tax stamp and "can" alone cost more than the Maurader!

To be fair there are extra costs that come with the Marauder, a hand pump for a PCP cost what the stamp does. A tank and compressor costs more than the marauder with scope and rings (that you will also need as it doesn't come with either). The suppressor was relatively simple to build and can fit on anything with threads.

The Marauder is pretty impressive though. A different world than the pumps and springers I have.

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind, make sure to compare apples-to-apples when looking at the PCP/rimfire comparison. It takes a target-grade .22LR rifle, shooting target grade ammo, to come anywhere near measuring up accuracy-wise to a Marauder. Have you priced target-grade 22 ammo lately? Prepare for sticker shock! Meanwhile, I can buy a tin of 500 JSB's or Crosman Premier's for $10-15, and shoot all day, with deadly accuracy, and not even think about ammo cost. The cost of a few weeks' worth of target-grade 22 ammo alone would cover my investment in a scuba tank with filler hose to feed my PCP's cheaply and easily.
    I love my rimfires, and it's a shame that ammo is so expensive, but I have no control over that. Meanwhile, I'll continue to shoot and enjoy my PCP's, and even if the cost of rimfire ammo ever does get more reasonable I'll continue using and shooting them.

Well my mrod is a bit picky on pellets not liking some but I expected that, same as rimfire ammunition. That said I haven't bought rimfire ammunition in more than a decade. Judging from my "stash" to use rate, it might be another decade before I need more. Maybe longer now that I have a PCP air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by lathesmith View Post
    Keep in mind, make sure to compare apples-to-apples when looking at the PCP/rimfire comparison. It takes a target-grade .22LR rifle, shooting target grade ammo, to come anywhere near measuring up accuracy-wise to a Marauder. Have you priced target-grade 22 ammo lately? Prepare for sticker shock! Meanwhile, I can buy a tin of 500 JSB's or Crosman Premier's for $10-15, and shoot all day, with deadly accuracy, and not even think about ammo cost. The cost of a few weeks' worth of target-grade 22 ammo alone would cover my investment in a scuba tank with filler hose to feed my PCP's cheaply and easily.
    I love my rimfires, and it's a shame that ammo is so expensive, but I have no control over that. Meanwhile, I'll continue to shoot and enjoy my PCP's, and even if the cost of rimfire ammo ever does get more reasonable I'll continue using and shooting them.

Very true.I argue this alot.But my old Brno sporter with CCI mini mags outshoots maurader 25's easily at ranges over 50 yards.But not by enough to justify the cost and noise of 22 rimfire.Like you even if 22's got to be back to the old price i'd stick with airguns.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    jmorris, M-rod's are known to be pellet-picky, mine loves JSB 14.3's and 25.2's, but hates the 18.1's. Its also shoots Crosman Premier 14.3 domed very well; I've found a few others it likes, but there are some pellets that look a shotgun pattern on-target! Feed it the right stuff though, and it's very happy.
    Harry, good point, as the range stretches, the nod definitely goes back to the rimfires and other powder-burners. Out past the 50 mark, that heavier 40-grain pill from a 22 is going to be quite a bit more wind-resistant, and hit with a lot more energy. These days, though, it's getting harder and harder to even find places to shoot 50+ yards, and under that distance the PCP's offer more than enough energy and accuracy to get the job done. And with all the practice my air guns allow me to do at the shorter ranges, I'm that much more accurate with the powder-burners at the longer ranges. Definitely a win-win.