Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your cast boolits walk away kit?

What is your cast boolits walk away kit?

What is your walk away kit? Everything from the firearm to the materials to run it. I currently carry an over/under 20 gauge with a hand reloading kit for modern shells, lead ladle, .62 ball/#4 buck shot molds, primer, powder and adapters for both barrels for black powder shooting.

I've been thinking of changing to a revolver and single shot rifle/shotgun kit that shoots modern cartridge and capable of black powder. What are your thoughts? From a cast boolits prospective what caliber would you recommend? What do you carry and some interesting reasons for what you carry and for what's in your kit.

Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by bugoutbicyclist; 06-14-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Can we move this thread to Prepper Talk?

How about a Contender or Encore?
    Barrels 22 LR, 22 Hornet, 44 Mag?

Boolit Master
    My neighbours and I have guns. Earthquake, riot we aren't leaving where we have food and shelter. Can use any/all of my guns to defend self and family. No worry about ammo it is loaded. Not sure it is legal to defend self and family with toxic lead in the condor zone but will worry about that when it occurs. They're 20-30 million people in So Cal., if something really bad happens a bunch of them are going to be looking for "some place to go". When something bad happens family and neighbours will defend our little corner of the world where we have food,shelter ,clothing ,water and other things we will need to survive.

Boolit Master

Yes, move it to Prepper Talk,
    BUT I am 66 and will NOT be bugging out, I am here for the duration and my squatty butt will
    protect this home.

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 06-15-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    too old to be scared or run. if did run would come back to nothing. so the wife and I have decided to stay on the mountain and fight it out. mite not get them all but will make a lot of them limp.

I'd delete the post if I could. Can't seem to move it from this Google Chrome app. I was really asking the question from a reloading prospective. Regarding the best caliber to reload in the field for both bullets and shot shells. My current 20 gauge solution requires a lot of powder and lead compared to a 38/357 or S&W 44 or 50 caliber. Also the walk away kit also means walk back to your home if you were away. Reloading gear and supplies that might be easier / lighter to carry than already loaded cartiridges, in the event it was a long walk home.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    My neighbours and I have guns. Earthquake, riot we aren't leaving where we have food and shelter. Can use any/all of my guns to defend self and family. No worry about ammo it is loaded. Not sure it is legal to defend self and family with toxic lead in the condor zone but will worry about that when it occurs. They're 20-30 million people in So Cal., if something really bad happens a bunch of them are going to be looking for "some place to go". When something bad happens family and neighbours will defend our little corner of the world where we have food,shelter ,clothing ,water and other things we will need to survive.
    How are you going to resupply? Do you have your own water well and a garden, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Yes, move it to Prepper Talk,
    BUT I am 66 and will NOT be bugging out, I am here for the duration and my squatty butt will
    protect this home.

Mike
    How are you going to resupply? Do you have your own water well and garden?

Boolit Master

Resupply, how long are you talking about??

I have a 22 acre lake 800 yards from my house.
    I have enough staple goods to last for months.
    I have enough ammo to do what needs done.
    AND I live in TEXAS at 3500 feet elevation!

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Considering most of us here are past the running stage of life, I suspect we have a lot here who would just defend a static position. Considering where I am, can't get much further back in the mountains, and don't want anyone joining me. Keep in mind if you "bug out", don't expect to be welcomed into the mountains. You better hunt where you want to be before the ball drops.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have a flood control channel that runs along my back yard. A ladder to get in and out of the channel and sand bags to impound some water. Back yard has a garden. City water system is partially gravity fed why won't I have city water. If the whole world goes to pot lots of people are going to die. At 72 I an=m probably one of them. Do have a supply of loaded ammo so perhaps my children can survive.

At 63 I don't plan on walking anywhere. My wife at 59 is in worse shape physically.

My house is Stucco, I figure my best bet is to make it look unlived in. Window's boarded up, doors nailed over, etc. Then hunker down in the basement till the silly season is over. After that if I had to move it would be by water. 10' Jon Boat, 15" alum Canoe and a pair of 9' Kayak's and a River less than a mile away.

Worst case scenario I figure there will be a bunch of bandit's on every major street crossing. They'll take what they want including your women, your guns, your food and your alcohol. Not many are smart enough to watch the river, especially if I travel at night and keep a good rifle handy.

Once out of the city I can go where I want to go, including my own piece of land some 40 miles away.

Thinking you will be able to bug out can be a big trap. Think about it.

In my situation it is bugging back. I already live so far back I get yesterday's daylight. Water, food, supplies and isolation are in good supply. Just getting back home from places like Atlanta, Miami, and Jacksonville FL to the Louisiana/Texas border is my goal. Most places I go I carry my BugBack Bag and firearm. Was just trying to lighten my load my getting ideas what other folks were doing. My message was misunderstood. So many people thinking they will survive in a city with all the flesh eaters out there. Good Luck! Look at third world countries. Movement is Survival! Enjoy! Thanks for all the comments.

Moderator Emeritus

Moved...

BTW,
    41 Mag revolver and a pocket full of CB loaded ammo
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Shelter in place with a small community of like minded individuals probably has the best chance of long term success so now is the time to get established.

Some thoughts for the OP.

.45 colt cartridge can be loaded hotter than commercial loads if you are using it in a modern gun, but it can always go back to black powder including homemade if you need to. The .45-70 is another possibility with the same characteristics.

Think about some modern versions of Old guns like single action revolvers which were originally kept working by blacksmiths and frontier handy men. The single action revolver could be fired even with broken internal parts by manually indexing the cylinder and/or fanning the hammer if necessary.

My favorite survival hand gun is the Ruger Old Army cap and ball with a conversion cylinder for .45 Colt. Can shoot cartridges or percussion caps as needed. Many modern semi autos become single shot stove pipers if they aren't fed just the right ammo.

The gun that will be still shooting when we are all gone is the flint lock and the favorite type was the smooth bore because it could be loaded with either ball or shot. Yes it had limitations but if you stayed within them it put meat on the table and defended many a homestead.

You can make a bullet mold for paper patched bullets with simple hand tools, no pesky lube grooves. Waksupi will be hard to contact for ordering lube grooves if SHTF.

Although only single shot, hard to identify the source of a single gun shot, Contender/Encore platform offers a wide choice of options as to caliber in either pistol or rifle. Broken down into it's components it is one of the most concealable firearms and reassembles with a screwdriver and Allen wrench.
    Contender Caliber list:
    http://www.bullberry.com/contender_b....html#calibers
    Encore Caliber list:
    http://www.bullberry.com/encore_barrels.html
    Even Tactical Stocks are available:
    http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/manufacturer/10
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Like the way you think Blacksmith and totally agree.

It is going to take Neighbors to survive long term.

Any fool can go hide in the mountains for a few weeks or months. But remember the Donner party? You don't want to be stuck in those mountains come winter.

We are spoiled currently.

Of our daily requirements of Food, Water, Air, Shelter, Water that is clean is going to be the hardest to come by long term. So you might want to plan your community around good sources of potable water.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on everything Blacksmith and Ghosthawk said.

Ruger Old Army with cartridge conversion cylinder, .45 cal. muzzleloading rifle and a .45 Colt Cowboy rifle.

Live the Gray Man, don't attract attention. Cultivate a good garden and dependable neighbors. Help each other.

Brigham Young said that it is cheaper to feed the Indians than to fight them. But don't let down your guard.

If you stand and fight you may not live to to shoot'em all, but if you do not appear to be a soft target they will likely look elsewhere.

If the worst comes, make them pay for every inch of ground in their blood.

Attachment 142376
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

+1 on 45 colt as a BP reloadable cartridge, to me it makes the most sense as an answer to the question in the original post. Bug out prepping is not my thing, personally if I was of a mind to leave my "walking away" kit would be a few thousand rounds of loaded ammo. Seems more space efficient, not to mention handy to have it all ready to shoot and all.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    38SPL and 45LC with BP! You can always whip up a batch of "Boom Powder"! And melt lead over a campfire if needed.

I plan to stay hunkered down, well armed, well watered, well fed!

To answer the original question, one of the antique hand reloading tools are great. The one I have for my '73 Winchester in .38-40, made by Ideal, will perform all functions needed to reload a cartridge. It also has a built in boolit mold in the front. They came in most early calibers, and are usually available on Ebay.

The trick is to keep some lead, powder and primers stashed away for the day you may need them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast