WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pacific Pistol Powder Measure

Boolit Master

Pacific Pistol Powder Measure

I have been looking at purchasing an old Pacific Pistol Powder Measure that screws into the top of a normal press thread, and has a slide bar with small bushings in it. Well, these bushings look similar to those used in the shotgun presses, but much smaller and are not available anymore from Hornady. Could someone that has one of these old pistol powder measures give me the dimensions of these bushings so I can see what it would take to make them on my mini-lathe before I purchase one? I just need the outside diameter and height of a typical bushing, hoping that they are at least cut from a standard size rod like 1/2" or 3/4" diameter.

A photo would be a great help. I have a old Pacific pistol measure that uses 1/2" dia FMYB (free machining yellow brass) for the bushings. I think they are 1/2" long also. You might have to polish the OD down a couple of thousandths before it will slip into the charge bar. Be sure to leave sharp edges after deburring the edges of the part, so that it will cut the powder easier. Not sure if this is the measure that you have though.

Boolit Grand Master

If it is the one with the alumunium slide bar they are 1/2"x1/2" al Ole Joe remembered. I cut by hand and drill as needed.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Ok, thanks guys. I suspected as much that they wouldn't be too hard to make new ones. The one I am looking at for a couple of bucks only has one with it and would be pretty worthless to me unless I can make a bunch more easily for the powders I can get. Do they work pretty well? And do they have a rubber washer on top of the slide bar like the shotgun presses do?

Is this it, shown at the bottom of the page. From my new "Pacific Reloading Tools 76" catalog, pgs 14 and 15.

Boolit Master

I bought one of the Pacific Pistol Powder Measures new and have used it for years. I wish Hornady still made them, they are very consistent.

Ken

1/2"x 1/2" as above.

I once used nylon bushings I found in the assortment boxes in the screw aisle of the hardware store. They are marked as 1/2" nylon spacers and have a 1/8" or 3/16" hole in them already.

I now cut a bunch of blanks from some scrap 1/2" alum round stock. I made a length jig to get them pretty uniform while cutting on the lathe. That's about as far as I got in the project and set it aside in the bench.

i used one I had before quite a bit on my progressive for pistol using win231. Worked good and consistent. I made a different end to the slide bar from basic stock and attached a small spring to return the bar slide. Easy push button action then. I upgraded my press and got a automated powder measure and I sold the old one. Regretted it!

I bought another, made blank bushings, and never used it. Don't figure?!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I bought mine off eBay, the alumunium slide was broken. I contacted Buckshot, gave him the dimensions, full details, and he made me a steel one. Got it in the mail, about three passes with a file, and it fits perfectly. Buckshot is good! I bought a brass 1/2" rod about two feet long, cut off 1/2" pieces, and drilled some out to what I needed with my wood lathe. Somewhere here I have pics of the process. It is my favorite and most used Pistol Powder Measure.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have one . Best measure I ever owned. If you need measurment's let me know .

Very consistent. Nice tool

Boolit Buddy

I have four (4) of those Pacific Pistol Powder Measures and 20 or so of the bushings... Haven't used them in over 20 years, just setting in a box on a shelf.. They are accurate measures.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Quote Originally Posted by starreloader View Post
    I have four (4) of those Pacific Pistol Powder Measures and 20 or so of the bushings... Haven't used them in over 20 years, just setting in a box on a shelf.. They are accurate measures.
    I think you should donate them to me. At least one and all the bushings.

By the way, thank you for your service.

Boolit Master

Been a year or two back but Hornady was still making the bushings at that time. Be worth checking out.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    Is this it, shown at the bottom of the page. From my new "Pacific Reloading Tools 76" catalog, pgs 14 and 15.

That's the one I am looking for, the "Pistol Powder Measure". I have two of the "Deluxe Powder Measures" that I bought back around the early 80's.

Boolit Master

Seems like I remember buying a bushing from Hornady just a couple years ago - are you SURE they don't make 'em any more? I use mine OFTEN - can't be beat. Set up a hundred cases in the block and go to town...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I use mine also. I have a bunch of bushings that I made and a few of store bought ones. I also have several unfinished blanks.

Banned
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Bushing-sizes

Lots of good information in this older thread
    Ken

Boolit Master
    I lucked out and bought that measure used off the net with all the bushings.

I have yet to set it though, shame on me!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

When this thread started I had been using my Pacific powder measure for 7-8 years, still use it occasionally. I bought most of my inserts/bushings from various vendors, made by Hornady. I purchased used ones (ebay, forum members, etc.) and customized several.
    My Anchor is holding fast!