RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here, Finally learned to cast

Boolit Mold

New here, Finally learned to cast

Been a Reloader for awhile, but finally cast my first boolits yesterday. I went and met a friend mine who casts a lot and has been doing it for 30+ years and he helped mentor me along the way.

I cast 9mm 120gr TC and some .357/.38 158gr boolits.

I can easily see me adding my moulds along the way, quickly.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions, I'll be sure to hit up the stickies first.

Casting can be addictive.

Welcome! I have been reloading for the past 35 years and casting for about the last 10. It is very rewarding, personally and financially. There is something about taking a dirty wheel weight and transforming it into a precision, shiny, accurate bullet that continues to amaze me.

Banned

I wish that I had a mentor when I started casting. HE saved you a lot of wondering, and answered your questions just by watching him do his work. Priceless!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I wish that I had a mentor when I started casting. HE saved you a lot of wondering, and answered your questions just by watching him do his work. Priceless!
    Yeah, I had a mentor when I first started reloading and looked for one to start casting. My other mentor called me while I was casting and told me he had a bunch of 1# our lead ingots for me, as well as a bunch of lead sheets that came off roofs.

It was great to have a mentor to show me casting. I had a ton of questions, even after reading my Lyman 49th and Lee manuals. I'll be buying the Lyman casting manual very soon.

Banned

Welcome! You are in the right place. Read all you can.

Don

Boolit Grand Master

Started reloading with the information from Guns magazine (thanks for posting the 1965 Guns, I remember reading it when I was 16 or so, whoever did it) and others, got a Lee Loader for 16ga and 30-30 and started, no mentor, no one else that I knew who reloaded.

Started casting and the guys on Shooters.com were my mentors. You are fortunate to have both a personal mentor and the internet to learn from. This site will provide all the information you need and more.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    I used to talk to Felix all the time when I was trying to decide if I wanted to start. I had planned to get him to mentor me but that of course was not meant to be.

Boolit Bub
    I am also new to the casting world and have found a wealth of information here as well as patient people to help along the way.

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome! I recommend setting up a regimen to strengthen your index finger. Once you start casting you NEED to shoot more. Testing needs to be done and all.

There are some good article here and the search box can be your friend. Ask away. The members here love to help.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I learned by my lonesome reading magazines and books of the day. No internet. Just lots of hands-on and common sense/wisdom. Not really that hard!

This site is a trove of valuable info and help. Just read some of the main stickies first. Most do not like taking time to answer simple questions already answered a dozen times before because someone was just too lazy to do their homework.

If you get stuck, ask! There are hundreds of man-years of experience here.

And have fun.

bangerjim

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I learned by my lonesome reading magazines and books of the day. No internet. Just lots of hands-on and common sense/wisdom. Not really that hard!

This site is a trove of valuable info and help. Just read some of the main stickies first. Most do not like taking time to answer simple questions already answered a dozen times before because someone was just too lazy to do their homework.

If you get stuck, ask! There are hundreds of man-years of experience here.

And have fun.

bangerjim
    Completely understand. I'm the same way. I actually enjoy doing the research on my own.

Welcome-this habit is addicting! Glad you found a mentor.
    Where are you located?
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    Welcome-this habit is addicting! Glad you found a mentor.
    Where are you located?
    PJ
    I'm out of Central Arkansas.

Yeah, I knew casting would be addicting since I'm so addicted to reloading for last several years. Neat to make my own boolits.

You should be in a good place to shoot all those new cast boolits. Good luck
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I had the greatest mentor (s) when I started casting: It was the knowledgeable folks here! Some are gone now...some have moved on; but You still will learn alot here!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

JW, I started casting about a month ago,very addicting.

You are lucky to have someone to help you.

This site is a wealth of knowledge and people willing to help.

Don't know what I would of done with out it.

Boolit Mold

New here, Finally learned to cast

Finally found a steady source of wheel weights. Scored 175#'s today from them. Getting roughly a 75-80% ratio of lead weights compared to steel/zinc.

Real pain to sort out though. Lol

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrowland77 View Post
    Finally found a steady source of wheel weights. Scored 175#'s today from them. Getting roughly a 75-80% ratio of lead weights compared to steel/zinc.

Real pain to sort out though. Lol

You are VERY lucky to find that ratio of lead. I quit with WW scrounging 2+ years ago when the ration hit <60% around here. Not worth my time.

Now I buy all my clean lead and alloys and mix what I want.

Have fun!

banger

Boolit Mold
    Finally got a cast iron pot today, ladle and spoon. Weekend looks right to do some rendering.

I'm enjoying this whole casting thing.

Boolit Mold
    Well, rendered down the 175#'s of wheel weights I bought for $90, and ended up with 132#'s of lead ingots. I'm pretty happy about that. Gives me right around 7700 120gr TC boolits for around .011 a piece.

Plus I have 16#'s of pure lead to make .454 round balls for my cap and ball revolver. I got the pure lead for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast