Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 99 shakedown

Savage 99 shakedown

I loaded a bunch of 300 Savage Cartridges and took my 1952 99 to the range. I put a Marble tang sight on it and wanted to see if I could hit anything with my vintage 1952 eyes.

It took too many rounds to get on paper because I couldn't bore sight. But I did get some groups with Lee 173 grain flat points and Lee 155 AK pointies sized to .311 and pushed by Tite Wad. But the best group was with SR4759. Now, I've got to develop some loads and shoot some meaningful groups. The bummer is I'm down to my last pound of 4759 and I haven't seen any in a year.

any recommended substitute? 3031?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	141787
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    I hear 4759 has been discontinued. I haven't tried it, but a lot of folks use 5744 for cast loads. I use 4227 for most of my cast bullet loads.

Thanks. I'll see if I can locate them. Why would they discontinue a powder that, seems at least, to be popular?

they discontinued sr-7625 as well. both 4759 and 7625 were good castboolit powders. both were old style "bulk" powders and are probably considered obsolete by the "professionals" running the company.

sr-7625 was one of the best performing castboolit powders for my 7.65 Argentines. i now use 700X, but it doesn't burn as clean.

Do these bullets which you are using protrude below the case neck when seated? I have a .300 Sav 99 that is giving similar groups and worse. On occasion, it spits a tight cluster but, on average, it does what yours does. Recovered bullets exhibit severe damage to the bullet shank where said bullet extends below the neck. I do not have a 150-165 grain mould to try. With jacketed ammo, the gun is reasonably accurate; 2" @ 100 yards.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post

It took too many rounds to get on paper because I couldn't bore sight.

I would suggest using a small dental mirror to boresight rifles with an obstructed view of the bore from the rear.

They are available in various sizes, as small as 1/4", so a rifle with a small EJ port can easily be accessed.

Just remember, when using a mirror, the sight adjustments will be in the opposite direction than they would with a direct view of the bore.

Boolit Bub

Savage 99 shakedown

First, I think those groups are pretty darn good! Remember, I'm using peep sight and standard front bead and geezer eyes--not a scope. I'd love consistent 2"-3" groups!

The boolits do extend a bit beyond the neck--but I've never noticed that to be a problem in the .300 savage. I'll measure them. I have a rem. 722 in .300S that shoots the Lee 185 grain ".303" boolit great and seats way beyond the neck. Of course I,m not pushing it much beyond 1500 fps, if that.

As for using a dental mirror, then reversing the adjustments-- my head hurts already. Haha.

My local shop has 3031 and 4227 in stock, I'll try them. 4227 appears closest to 4759.

Boolit Master
    Ranch Dog recently designed a (bore riding) cast for Night Owl Enterprises. Mold was made exclusively for the 300 Savage. __ NOE # TLC310-165-RF. You might want to check it out being a tumble lube G/C boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    Savage 99 3031 powder @ 50 yards. The 4 left of the group were scope adjustments the ones in the square were the group. I loaded extra mid range loads 28 grains in that area to sight in on. Ended up being the most accurate load. Lee 170 rnfp 12 Bhn PC'd. I have a thread with my trials and troubles loading for the .300 savage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433975903249.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	141834

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Ranch Dog recently designed a (bore riding) cast for Night Owl Enterprises. Mold was made exclusively for the 300 Savage. __ NOE # TLC310-165-RF. You might want to check it out being a tumble lube G/C boolit.

I recently got one of these and have not cast with it yet. Hope to soon.

Both my .300 Savage rifles shoot pretty well with cast seated below the case neck. My 99 is easier to work with than my 1920, but both shot the ranchdog 165 grain bullet pretty well and the 31141 original Ideal. The NOE clone of it with a bigger nose diameter presented real problems feeding through the bolt action and also in the 99 to a lesser extent but I used it to deer hunt and killed a nice doe with it a couple of years ago. I don't think the short neck is as big a problem as general wisdom says it is.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    I've been drooling over it. I might get some samples to check it out before I buy. But the old Lee 170 gr. flat point seems to do well and I was pleasantly surprised by the 155 gr. SKS Lee mold, but at .311 it has to be seated pretty deep to chamber. It also hangs up coming out of the magazine more than the flat-point, surprisingly.

Springfield0612, do you have a link to your Sav. 300 thread? Pretty group, btw.

Boolit Master
    The boolit lately that I've been toying with is NOE-311-169-RD. Quite similar in appearance to Lyman's 311291 just fat'er. Seems to work well in my long barrel 99 (rifle) with 4895. Haven't got around to shooting it thru my 99 carbine yet. BTW: Haven't taken the new RD bore rider mold out of the box yet for a try. Sooner or later I get to it though.

Boolit Buddy
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=216576 here's the thread. Here's the wife's groups shooting the Lee 155 sks round. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433984740703.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	141845
    Sorry about the sideways pic taptalk only posts pictures this way I went and edited the photo and turned it and it still posts sideways. Whatevs!
    Last edited by Springfield0612; 06-10-2015 at 10:16 PM.

Banned

I use a sliver of broken mirror to bore sight, works fine.
    I got 16# of 4759 recently from Midsouth so I have a good 21# on hand.
    3031 and 4895 should work. I never got 4227 to shoot like I want with most any gun except the .357 Max.

Boolit Master

I've always wanted an old Model 99, especially one in 30/30, but I can never seem to find the right one at the right price. I'll keep looking as I'm sure that it's out there somewhere. At any rate, looks like you've got a nice summer project ahead of you for the summer with the 99.

On the bore sight question, I use these GI mirrors. When I was young, they were all over the place and cost about a buck. I haven't seen one in a while though; so if you find one, grab it. They are a great tool for inspecting the throat and bore of your rifle. I used to have a brass one dating to WWI, but it's been long lost.

The long one is for the 1903 and the short one was issued for the M1 rifle. As you can imagine, they are the cat's meow for bore sighting rifles like the Model 99.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-12-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Is 3031 position sensitive in light loadings? I.e. Do I need a filler?

ha! I had one of those M1 gizmos when I was a kid. Got it out of a big bucket at an army-navy store.

Boolit Buddy
    See if this helps your wife, Springfield. GREAT group, by the way. I don't blame her for the big smile.
    yooper

Follow up. I sent some Lee SKS 155 grain, .310" tumble-lubed down range. Some pushed by 3031 (I found a pound) and some with 4759. A 28 gr. of 3031 load had some kick, but I found it was the sweet spot. Giving me 1" groups at 50 yards and 3" at 100 yards. The 4759 did about the same, but at a lower velocity and less recoil.

I think my eyes and a tang sight are the limiting factor and 3 inches at 100 might be the best I can hope for. This Savage 99 .300S can out shoot my peepers, but I won't scope it.

positives: I can likely work up a hunting load with the 3031 and my Lee 175 Flat points. And the barrel showed no leading with the 3031 pushing 20 some rounds at what must have been a zippy velocity. I was worried the paste wax-and-alox tumble lube wouldn't cut it.

thanks for the tip on 3031.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I seem to always be late for the party. Your reported load of C.E. Harris' 155 gr - 28gr 3031 should get you around 1725-1750 foot seconds from a 20" barrel. Use the Flat Nosed Lee bullet with this load and you should be able to harvest sizable game.
    I too have been bit by the 99 bug. I have an 1899, 25-3000 and I gave my 99, .308 Win. to my brother's son-in-law. I miss the .308 bad. The 300 Savage is a jewel.
    Another powder to try is Alliant ReLoder 7. I have had universally good success with that powder in every application I have attempted, both with cast and jacketed. California has just ruled out lead bullets for hunting so they have taken all the fun out of it for me.

Banned

Savage 99s and cast work very well in the field, .300 Savage using the NOE clone of the 311041 and a .308 using the Ranchdog 165 grainer. Both used the same charge of IMR 4895.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.300 Savage 99EG Doe.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	143393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buck 28NOV12 pic 3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	143394