MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: I knew it but had to shoot them anyhow (Leading)

Boolit Buddy

I knew it but had to shoot them anyhow (Leading)

I've been shooting my .452 cast boolits through my .45 Colt cylinder with -O- leading, lots of them. I had 12- 45acp rnds I loaded up with the same boolits, sitting on the bench here and decided to shoot them up, knowing full well what was gonna happen. Yup, you guessed it.... I hope. I loaded these, seated them with the seat and crimp die with the crimp backed off. Then I run them through the FCD. That was my mistake. The bullets were re-sized down when they were pushed through the carbide sizing ring on the FCD. Lesson learned. The first 2 shots were in the 10x at 20 yrds and the rest started stringing. Considerable leading with just 12 rnds. I pulled the cylinder out and sure enough there was the proof. The barrel is soaking in Nitro Solvent as I write this. From now on the FCD will be used for jacketed boolits only. Go ahead with the "I told you so's".

Boolit Buddy
    You can knock the carbide ring out of the fcd's. Then use just the crimp feature, I done it to mine, works great.

Boolit Master
    If you shoot properly sized, well lubed boolits, the leading will come right out. It often only takes a cylinder or so. LBT suggested this to me, and it works. Beats soaking and scrubbing.