Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gun I Wish Ruger Made

Boolit Master
    Picky picky rintinglen. Actually I like the idea too. Couldn't a smith chop it down without too much trouble? I wouldn't be adverse to having it done to mine.

Boolit Bub

I'd like to see a 5 shot SBH in 454, 475 LB or 480 Ruger. Id also like to see a BH in 25-20, and a twin cylinder in 32-20 & 327... Now in the sp-101 underlug & non ul, a 4" 22 mag.
    LCRX 4" 22 mag, also 327!

Still Thinking...?

BloodGroove4570

Boolit Master

I would like a model 77-327 to go with my model 77-357.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master

I would like to see the Mk-II in .22 TCM, but a bit stronger so that the cartridge could be experimented with by handloaders (i.e. heavier bullets at 55K psi).

Boolit Master
    How's about a 20 Ga Red Label frame with 20ga over 3030 combo barrels, pretty wood please, and 28s would be just right.Or make it a 28 ga over 45Colt on the sweet little 28ga frame. Now THAT would make me happy
    They might sell a dozen, but it sure would be special.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    How's about a 20 Ga Red Label frame with 20ga over 3030 combo barrels, pretty wood please, and 28s would be just right.Or make it a 28 ga over 45Colt on the sweet little 28ga frame. Now THAT would make me happy
    If the price was reasonable for what we would be getting, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I wouldn't even be picky on either 20ga or 12ga or if the rifle barrel was .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, or .30-30. Might even consider it if it was a .223, but would prefer a rimmed case. .45-70 maybe?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would be very happy if revolver makers quit putting full underlugs on short barrel revolvers.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I would be very happy if revolver makers quit putting full underlugs on short barrel revolvers.
    I'm with you on that one.

Moderator Emeritus

The biggest thing I'd like to see, now that I have Flat Tops in .357 & .44 Spec., are grips that hav increased girth at the top. If they made 3 different sizes of grips, with increasing girth at the top, we could fit the gun to our hands, rather than trying to do it backwards, which never really works out quite as well. Just got a SuperB SS that has been cut to 4 5/8" and has stag grips with just EXACTLY the right girth at the top, and I may leave my 7.5" in the safe from now on. Ironically, it's a gun I did an action job on years ago. Didn't even remember doing the work, and only found out when I went back later and was told who owned it. Funny how stuff happens sometimes, isn't it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    I'm with you on that one.
    At least offer a half lug barrel for those of us that want a 4" barrel that doesn't weigh as much as a 6"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodGroove4570 View Post
    Id also like to see a BH in 25-20, and a twin cylinder in 32-20 & 327.
    BloodGroove4570
    Be still my beating heart! If these ever happened (highly unlikely, IMO. :/) I would be sending some folks at Ruger flowers every month!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I guess I'm an oddball but I like full underlu

Banned
    I like the full underlug option but wish there were more half lug options available. That extra muzzle-forward weight is welcomed with magnum loads but not as desirable when lighter loads are the norm. I think there's a demand for both barrel contours.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I never shoot any sort of magnums out of handguns so a full lug is just dead weight for me. My short lug Service Six and no lug S&W 10-5 have no problems with a 158 grain slug at 850 fps. My Taurus 82 does have a full lug, fortunately it isn't terribly thick and is nicely contoured to the lines of the gun. The lug on the S&W L and N frames is the most butt-ugly thing on a handgun ever, right up there with the GP-100 Hogue grips. It looks like they just took a piece of 7/16" bar stock and welded it to the bottom of the barrel.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    This thread has mostly been about revolvers, but this does sound a very practical project. I believe people have built considerably more powerful double rifles from the Red Label. There are situations in hunting where a totally silent second shot without body movement is better than a dozen to follow.

But with Ruger's expertise in investment casting, why not a Martini rifle? It be made with thicker sides and narrower inside to accommodate the .45-70 head size, and the use of a square wire mainspring, with a smaller tunnel to accommodate it, would strengthen the breechblock.

While I would love to see Ruger make a Martini, I doubt they will deliberately compete with their own No. 1 rifle.

Also, the thread title says "guns," not "revolvers." I also entered a suggestion for a single shot, albeit a pistol. Any style of single shot hunting pistol would get my attention.

Take care, Tom

Moderator Emeritus

Full underlug length and extra weight are really for those who fire mainly on the range. Those who tote them in the woods and over hill and dale like the lighter ones. And the thing is, that after you get used to the recoil and muzzle blast of the magnums, the lighter guns can really be brought back on target a mite quicker than the heavy ones. Remember, recoil impetus is according to momentum (mass x vel.), and the mass of your recoiling gun goes up with its weight, so it's harder to stop and bring back to bear. This seems counterintuitive to many, but it's real WHEN you get used to the gun FULLY. I found this out by experience down in the lower 40, and it surprised me, and only afterward did I find the explanation, so if you doubt it, go try it and see for yourself. Just an FWIW.

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in more calibers; reintroduce it in .45 LC and something they have yet to produce it in like the .357 Mag. Don't get me wrong....I like the .41 or .44, but give us some more options on an already great platform.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Grand Master
    BloodGroove4570

Find one of the Buckeye special runs of BH's in 32-20/32mag and have the mag cyl rechambered to 327.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Full underlug length and extra weight are really for those who fire mainly on the range. Those who tote them in the woods and over hill and dale like the lighter ones. .
    I know many will agree with the above, but some of us actually like a bit of weight in our weapons, and an extra ounce or two in a handgun isn't an issue to us. I mean, if I was to fully take your belief and run with it, I would have to sell off my carry and hunting handguns and go buy a bunch of aluminum, or scandium, or whatever the current lightest offering is to hunt with and carry. But instead, I carry a 5" 1911, a 4" Security Six, or a 4 5/8" (original) Vaquero as my main carry handguns, and a 2 1/4" SP101 as my back-up, and that is my all day, every day, all year long carry choices. I don't mean this as an argument, but just think if anything, we need more choices, both light and heavy, and not to get our options limited by anyone trying to pidgeon-hole anyone who likes something other than their lightweight or heavyweight or whatever other type of gun as a range shooter or whatever else only. I mean, if we all wanted the smallest lightest thing available, then not one of us would need anything other than a Ruger LCP in .380 or the Keltec that is basically the same thing with a different name stamped on the side. I'm glad we have options.