MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 25 cal from rimfire cases?

Boolit Bub

25 cal from rimfire cases?

Can this be done? And what would the weigh?

Yes, you CAN make a .257 slug out of a rim fire case. Max weight would probably be about 60 grains. Much better idea is to use 22 Mag brass or 17HMR brass cut off at the shoulder. 100 grains is about max in 25 caliber. Don

Boolit Master

I make 6 mms from 22 mag, they run to about 106 grain with no lead exposed. I have read but not tested that making the jackets larger diameter but also shorter keep the bullets in the same weight range.
    Rimfire jackets will make bullets, but the manufacturing tolerances of rim fire brass do not make highly accurate bullets.
    I would have good confidence if hitting in the heart lung area of a deer at 200 yards, and very little confidence the jacket would hold together to penetrate to the opposite side unless jacket was bonded to the core.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    I have made heavy 22cal up to 100gr, 6mm up to 107gr, 6.5mm up to 126gr, 270 up to 140gr and 7mm up to 140gr from 22mag cases. I would guess that you should be able to get somewhere in the neighborhood of about 115-120gr in a 25cal. As for accuracy I have shot sub 1" groups at 100yards and about 2 1/2" groups at 200 yards from my XP-100 in 6TCU using a 6x pistol scope. The biggest thing with the rimfire jackets is pushing them too fast in a fast twist barrel. They will not make it to the target.

Bret

Boolit Master

My 6mm barrel is 1 in 8 twist.
    best 100 yard group about 1 3/4 with 2400 fps velocity. Like Bret says, at 2900 FPS, two of ten may hit the target at 100 yards.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Bub
    I was thinking using it in 25-20. Would it be possible to cast a core of harder lead? Or can you even do that...?

Banned

kind of.
    using a 'harder core' is subjective in swaging, antimony doesn't behave the same way when swaged as it does when cast.
    Tin is your enemy.

for the 25-20 you'll be looking at a 75 gr bullet.
    I think I'd work with the 22 mag case, pushing off the rim then trimming the case.
    core seating close to diameter, then point forming the rest of the way.

or the new 17 win case, which would need a draw down step and a pinch trim die.
    that should provide a little thicker case and you'd get quite close in shape and performance to the speer 75gr bullet.

Boolit Bub
    Wish I had some dies to play around with....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    for the 25-20 you'll be looking at a 75 gr bullet.
    I think I'd work with the 22 mag case, pushing off the rim then trimming the case.
    core seating close to diameter, then point forming the rest of the way.

or the new 17 win case, which would need a draw down step and a pinch trim die.
    that should provide a little thicker case and you'd get quite close in shape and performance to the speer 75gr bullet.
    For a lighter 25 cal bullet I would go with a 17HMR. I find more of these on the ground at the range than the 22 mag and you don't need the 22mags length if you are shooting a bullet lighter than 100gr. I can get a 100gr 6mm from a 17HMR with the neck trimmed off. I have a little adjustable jig i made up from a nut bolt an washer that I use in my harbor frieght mini chop saw to trim the 17HMR cases.

Bret