Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I'm getting a rws 48!!!

Boolit Master

I'm getting a rws 48!!!

Yup w all my reloading stuff stored away for the move and our situation not allowing reloading I decided to get a rws 48. Figured the 54 was a little pricey and a 52 is a fancy version of the 48 I made the decision. Without testing the gun for best pellets I read a lot of people like the jsb jumbo exacts in 15.89 gr haha that's .89 grains yes. I got 1 k of those pellets coming too. Anyone have one of these and like this rws48?

Boolit Master
    I have tried jsb heavies. They were too small! Undersized heads.

Boolit Man
    My 48 is the opposite, has a slightly undersized bore and only certain jsbs will load..i'd have to dig the tins out to see which ones..seems their are different head sizes available..mine is a .177.

Very accurate, love the cocking mechanism and the tank like build..although its a bit heavy for long hikes. RWS hit a home run with the design though, great rifle.

Boolit Master
    Ya, too many of the same rifle w too many diff quirks (machine manufacture, steel, etc) require too many diff things to satisfy the too many variances.

i haven't got the gun yet not shot it ha but I read the jsb are pretty awesome in it but I bought some lame crossman primeier pellets to try since I can get them from Wally World but I'm almost certain they won't do well enough for my likings...

i used those crossman pellets in my gamo and they didn't shoot as well as the crossman pellets you could buy in the small black plastic boxes about 20 years ago but they did ok.

figured I'd start w the jsb since it's a good brand that's recommended and shoot the crossman ones to break in and maybe try something diff.

ya about the gun being big and heavy it does appear stout for sure!

Boolit Man
    I bought an RWS around 40 years ago in .22 cal.-it shot best with RWS pellets but I don't remember which one. I gave it to a pair of nephews over 20 years ago and have been advised that it still shoots very well but it is in need of seals now, not bad for 40 years of service. I have seen some that shoot some better but an RWS is hard to beat for the money. If I remember correctly mine was a Model 48.

Boolit Buddy
    When I had my 48 (. 22) it shot best with the heavy pellets.
    It's a tank of a rifle.

If I had one as a kid there would not have been a living bird left in Ohio. I bagged crows at 45 yards easily.
    Last edited by cal50; 06-04-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Damn android spelling
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I am assuming from the weight of the pellets that it is a .22. Don't knock the cheap Crosman Primer HPs. My 54 shoots them as well as anything out there and better than most. I particularly like the price.

I also have a 460 that stacks the GAMO Hunter pellets, assuming I do my part which seems to be getting harder to do as the years go by.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Sure is a 22. I looked and figured years of 177 cal and crows I couldn't get any closer than 50 yards, shooting at em and only dropping one out of the tree if I purchased one, it would be a 22 or a 25. Figured the 22 gave me the energy that I would need w a better flight than the 25 in my distance range. I thought about a pcp style but I just thought about all the support equipment and I don't wana be tempted to fill my gun w company nitrogen so I got the 48

Boolit Buddy
    I sold my RWS 48 and went with an Air Arms TX200 in .177
    Its the kiss of death on crows and critters @ 50 yards.

My RWS did not group as tight as I wanted and the TX200 is a tack driver field rifle. The smaller pellets do not have the same "knock down" but the accuracy and penetration are way up there.

Boolit Buddy
    cal50,

What pellets in .177? I got a Marauder - and using the heavy Crosman 'domed'.

thanks

Geoff in Oregon

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunor View Post
    cal50,

What pellets in .177? I got a Marauder - and using the heavy Crosman 'domed'.

thanks

Geoff in Oregon

The Crosman premier / 7.9 grains shoot great from my rifle.

I got a 460 22cal and it is impressive. Don't worry about 22lr any more. Anything past 50yds gets the hornet
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>