Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: MiHec 502 385 HP GC results

Boolit Master

MiHec 502 385 HP GC results

Please post any data you might have on this one from previous runs. I am going to run through some quickload data later this week to see where starting loads should be for this one. NOE has posted the dimensions on his store front that I can use to enter in the program before the mold gets here to get some preliminary numbers. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...vitk4uebfshkg5

Boolit Master
    It is here! Just assembling, and cleaning getting it ready to cast tonight. Another thing of beauty! Enjoy, it wont look all shiny for long.

Boolit Master
    Cast 10 pounds of penta pins, and small hollow point. Looks like this will work. I need to see where the case mouth will end up. Now for some data, and some shooting! I need to order some RL-7, so my first loads will be H110/W296. I probably will not try Lil gun at all for this one.

Boolit Master
    I will run it up to a max of 35 grains with W296. Most likely I will not be able to go above 34 without showing flattened primers with this fast of powder. With my alloy I get a little under 380 grains naked, and probably right around 380 dressed with lube, and gas check, or powder coat. This data i posted is for a boolit loaded to the crimp groove, but I can load out to a COAL of 2.130" and still have a little jump to the lands so I am pulling the data until I have some closer figures.
    Cartridge : .50 Beowulf
    Bullet : File:\mihec 502385
    Useable Case Capaci: 48.540 grain H2O = 3.152 cm³
    Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.020 inch = 51.31 mm
    Barrel Length : 16.3 inch = 412.8 mm
    Powder : Winchester 296

Reloader 7 and reloader 10x can be ran at the higher pressures without problem because the initial pressure spike is slower. The fast powders like H110, lil gun need to be kept down below 20K PSI or around that mark. Most load data for the fast powders are actually about 16-18K, while the loads for reloader 7 are upwards of 32K. The Beowulf is rated at 33K PSI, but you will not get there with fast powders before pressure signs such as flattened primers appear. This has been the gist of what I have found from personal experience, and working with Quickload entering all of the load data that I could find. Remember, the Beowulf has a alkalies heal, and it is the bolt. Run the Beowulf hard, and you will break a bolt. All caveats apply, and use this data at your own risk.
    Last edited by xacex; 06-07-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Awesome work! I look forward to trying this out!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Awesome work! I look forward to trying this out!
    I am excited too. I think I will try both powder coated, and 45/45/10 since I have them both here. I am not a fan of lube anymore, but I am curious about accuracy as well. If I find something that works reasonable with PC, I will try the load with lube to see if groups get any better. I will be happy with a 3" group at 100 yards. I have never been very good at shooting this particular rifle, and that is about as good as it gets for me. Lots of recoil is not my friend. I tried a led sled with two bags of lead, but it still would bounce all over from shot to shot. My next move is strapping the led sled to the bench with tie downs lol.

Edit: Almost ready to go.
    Last edited by xacex; 06-08-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ok, went out and shot 3, 5 shot groups at 100 yards with this boolit with 35, 36, and 37 grains of W296. 36, and 37 grains showed no signs of pressure, and were pretty tight for not having a cross to line up my reticles. Both were approximately 1.5 inches, and I was not trying to hard with bags or anything other than a front rest. This is by far the most accurate cast boolit I have used in this gun. I had family here so I did not work on producing the best group, but just tried to see if there would be a difference on an average day, or out in the field. Very happy with this one. I will do some more work with 36 and 37 grain including running it over a chronograph to see how close quickload got.
    Last edited by xacex; 06-16-2015 at 01:28 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

I still have some of this molds!

I have 3cav HP molds or 4 cav solid ones.
    If you want one, send me PM
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Xacex have you done any testing with RL7 as of yet?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Xacex have you done any testing with RL7 as of yet?
    Not yet. This was my first chance to get out and try anything. I have not ordered RL-7 as of yet, but I believe if the design shoots this well with W296 it should do fantastic with RL-7. Looking through the data it appears RL-7 will be the best performer out of all the powder I put into QL.

Boolit Master
    Just ordered 5 pounds of reloader-7. I should be able to do some loads with it in a couple of weeks. I am curious how it will work.

Update: I did some work with quickload, and have several groups loaded ready for trials with the Reloader-7. Hopefully I will have a chance to shoot them this week and see if there is a shining star. I noticed Alexander arms did some data for 400 grain hawk bullets, and when put into quickload were over 33K psi by quite a bit. I know the developer of the 502 Thunder Sabre and talked to her at length last time I was over at the farm. It turns out besides breaking bolts these 50's will also collapse so bad it will lock the action completely disabling the gun. This was done during pressure testing at a well known powder manufacturing facility. I wont say what pressure that happened at, but there does appear to be a good buffer over the 33k max listed for the Beowulf. It was nice to get some good feedback on where I can go with pressures. There seems to be a window that will collapse brass both ways if you are not within it. Under pressure will not grab the chamber wall, and over pressure will cause brass flow.
    Last edited by xacex; 07-07-2015 at 03:04 AM.

Boolit Master
    So far with reloader -7 45.8 grains shows the least vertical dispersion. Best so far at 1.125" vertical dispersion at 100 yards. My horizontal dispersion is not the best, but should just be a product of the shooter. Approximately 1740 fps at 31221 PSI according to quickload. These are powder coated sized to .501, and COAL is 2.180" using CCI 350 primers.

Anymore data on these?