Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forming .300 AAC from .223 / 5.56 brass

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyephil View Post
    Ok, guys, I'm taking a bit of a different approach. 1st, I'm making my first batch of 100 cases out of LC 556. I don't have a small chop saw and don't want to invest in one and buy a jig. I decided to just use a tubing cutter. Not as fast but easy to chuck a case in the drill and using a small tubing cutter goes ok.

Even though the cases are curled in some, they resize ok. Then on to my new Trim-it II. My cases are pretty long as I cut pretty far forward. I was having trouble holding the cases even with rubber gloves. I finally tried using some channel locks to hold the case and that worked well. Didn't have to hold hard enough to mess the case rim up.

So I'm about ready to load some rounds.

Works for small batches, but I wouldn't want to need to do 100's at a time that way.
    Alot of people use the tubing cutter and a cordless drill. Nothing wrong with that! It works and makes cases.

This is my process to produce consistent, high quality 300 AAC Blackout cases.
    Please Note: I only use LC or FC cases for consistency. I would never use a case that is headstamped as "223"! It goes against everything that I teach in classes about "checking cartridge headstamp" to make sure you are using the correct ammo.
    Also, I use a Little Crow Gunworks "World's Finest Trimmer" to make short work of precision trimming bulk lots of cases.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forming 300BLK case.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	144169

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300BLK case trim.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	144170
    Last edited by kdbarker; 07-11-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123