RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Lee Loader Replacement Parts

Question Lee Loader Replacement Parts

In another thread I mentioned that I had purchased a well-used Lee Loader in 375 Winchester. I cleaned it up real well and set it up to use when I noticed that the primers did not fit the prime chamber. Further research determined that it was a prime chamber for a pistol set and not a rifle set. Also found that I could order a new one from Lee and did so. When it arrived I unscrewed the bullet seater from the old prime chamber and proceeded to try to install it in the new one when I realized that while the prime chamber was common to all rifle kits, the bullet seaters are caliber specific. Also the rifle bullet seaters are pressed into the rifle prime chambers while the pistol bullet seaters screw into the pistol prime chambers. I will not disclose how long I tried to screw in the pistol bullet seater to the rifle prime chamber as my wife will start laughing at me again!
    So, here is my issue. While Lee does sell replacement parts, when it comes to bullet seaters, they only have parts for kits that are currently made. I need a 375 caliber bullet seater and they have a 303 British seater at .312 and a .4675 seater for the 45-70. Any thoughts on how to proceed? How hard would it be for someone to make a .375 bullet seater?

Thomas
    "Just let it go."
    Don "Big Daddy" Davis 2003

Boolit Master
    >>>How hard would it be for someone to make a .375 bullet seater?<<<

It is fall down dead easy to make the entire tool on a lathe.

The seater might take 15 minutes but it would not be blued. A good machinist would actually make one better than Lee's seaters.
    EDG

Problem I have I don't have a specimen to show to a machinist.
    Anybody out there have a Lee Loader in 375 Winchester that would be willing to measure the bullet seater?

Thomas
    "Just let it go."

Boolit Master
    If you find a machinist that reloads I am sure he can take a look at any Lee seater and make a new stem for your tool.
    I have 45-70 and .35 Rem tools. I even had a .375 H&H tool made by Mequon once. They all have a about the same conical hole in the stem.
    The diameter should be about .001 smaller than the bore of the die. The length has to be cut so it will work with the range of bullet lengths that you want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by 264 Win Mag View Post
    Problem I have I don't have a specimen to show to a machinist.
    Anybody out there have a Lee Loader in 375 Winchester that would be willing to measure the bullet seater?

Thomas
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    They all have a about the same conical hole in the stem.
    I was wondering that since this was for a tube fed levergun would it not be fine if the bullet seater was just flat on the end?

Thomas
    "Just let it go."

Boolit Master
    It needs a cone otherwise the bullet has wedge itself straight as it is pushed down the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by 264 Win Mag View Post
    I was wondering that since this was for a tube fed levergun would it not be fine if the bullet seater was just flat on the end?

Thomas
    EDG

Got it, thanks. Now I have to remember if any of my acquaintances are machinists.

Thomas
    "Just let it go."