WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .30 Rimfire

Boolit Master
    The breach seating thing did not work, no bang. Back to making more cases. Two more reloads with my only homemade case worked but I did not get chrono readings, just ERR 2.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Mold
    1st post here. Thx for having me.

I'll play....here's a pic of my "new to me" Sharps 4 barrel I acquired this past week on a reallllllly good price.
    Took it to a local guy who might know...and he think's it's .30 Rimfire as .22 LR goes all the way into the chamber.

Anyone successfully reloading .30 Rimfire here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharps Rimfire.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	321573

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikeforces View Post

I'll play....here's a pic of my "new to me" Sharps 4 barrel I acquired this past week on a reallllllly good price.
    Took it to a local guy who might know...and he think's it's .30 Rimfire as .22 LR goes all the way into the chamber.

Reloading .30 rimfire will be expensive but making ammo that would work can be done less expensively. You need to make some cases that use .22 blanks as the primer/powder charge.

.30 rimfire is one of the rarer obsolete cartridges so getting a supply of fired brass to reload is difficult and very expensive. I made a couple rounds out of .25 rimfire but it is not cheap either but at least not so expensive that I would not fire them. My single shot pistol will sometimes fire 6mm blanks.

Search for .32 rimfire ammo here and see how they do it.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

I have video of how to convert centerfire case to reloadable rimfire. You'll need to first make centerfire brass to fit your chamber. If you are serious and want to pursue this, let me know. I'll post a link to the videos.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikeforces View Post

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ire-cartridge/ Might give you a tad bit more info. You can make anything you can imagine if you have a few tools. One of the 7x mini-lathes would let you do cases, molds, and sizing dies. Checkout the threads here on the .32 Colt (long and short) and .32RF cartridges for some examples of what can be done.

Boolit Master

Here is a 2-part video on how I convert .22 Hornet brass to reloadable .25 Stevens rimfire. The same basic process can be used to make many different obsolete rimfire cartridges. I've made .25, .32. .38, .41 and .50 rimfires.

Part 1 is on forming .25 Stevens from .22 Hornet brass. You might want to skip part 1 if you are only interested in the rimfire conversion part.

https://youtu.be/y_9G-FqDdKk?si=2TuotsevdX8_zVIq

Part 2 is where I show step by step how to convert centerfire cases to reloadable rimfire.

https://youtu.be/GsEV8MwXDu8?si=MNzViE5MytVT1uZ1

I just make these for my guns. I do not make them to sell. I made the videos to show others how it can be done.

Boolit Master
    I made 50 for a friend with a Sharps pepper box. I used 22 hornet for my base cartridge. Making it as I had for 41 or 32 RF with a broad notch at the rim. This was a mistake on a few levels.
    #1) the rim is too thick to allow closure of the pistol and thinning from the case side was necessary.
    #2) the notch needs to be aligned with the firing pin(s) and that took some figgerin!

I ended up making the recessed areas of the case head in several sections to allow for variability in chambering the rounds. This still took some placement on the shooter's part to know where the firing pin would line up in each chamber.
    I have the measurements for this somewhere.......
    I'm quite certain Steve will be acquiring one here shortly and elaborate on the measurements of the case and expounding on a far better method than I have explained.
    The pistol was a joy to shoot and was remarkably accurate at card table distance!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I do not have a Sharps 4 barrel pistol....yet 😉 But I do have a Remington 4 barrel ring trigger pistol in .32 rimfire. Both use a rotating firing pin. When using reloadable rimfire brass, correct alignment of the acorn blank primer is a little tricky. Each one must be positioned with the acorn oriented towards the centerline of the 4 barrels. Here is a short video of me shooting the ring trigger pistol.

https://youtu.be/_25YxdWTUCM?si=rft1xWVRZTCvd4DD

Boolit Master

Well what do you know - I just acquired a .30 rimfire Marlin "OK" derringer of the 1863-1870 period! My wife and I were strolling an antique mall this weekend and found this little gem at an amazingly good price. Only after I got home did I determine it was a .30 rimfire. I dug out that single reloadable round I made last year. It chambered perfectly. Now to make more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240205_074224_copy_684x352.jpg   20240204_192307_copy_567x436.jpg   20240204_192414_copy_567x280.jpg  

Boolit Master

Does anybody have a few Lee 7mm, 130gr soup can bullets I could buy? These seem like the best starting point to make .30 rimfire bullets. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Great find!!!
    Curious - how does the 0.284" bullet help you with this?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

COTW lists .30 rimfire short bullet diameter as .286". Those .284" would likely drop out of the mold a little larger. I would the cut them down and make a heel on the lathe. Similar to what I showed last year in this discussion.

Boolit Master

I got 5 reloadable .30 rimfire cartridges made and took them to the range. Here is a video of the fun!
    https://youtu.be/rS3aClX8vG0?si=ojjhnQy80XC9Vueg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12