Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would this capacitor be used for??

Boolit Master

What would this capacitor be used for??

I stopped at a yard sale today and they had 5 of these in a box. I asked the lady what the capacitors were for and she said I was one up on her because she didn't even know what they were. My curiosity was piqued so I bought one for a dollar and bring it before the all knowing cast boolit board to find out it's use. Where would a fellow use this thing??
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

A time machine or teleporter I would think.

Boolit Master
    A starter for a brushless electric motor, perhaps? The voltage quoted is probably a maximum, rather than intended.

Jules Verne, in his "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" of 1869, portrayed not only a fast and manoeuvrable electric submarine, but an underwater rifle with a Leyden cell to electrocute the quarry. Nice work for the time, but I doubt if any Leyden cell could deliver a voltage you could feel. As rifling twist must be proportional to the square root of the medium through which the bullet passes, it would have had to be thirty times faster than in air.

Homeland Security, though, have been working on a sort of capacitor-powered taser to be shot from a shotgun, which is said to be capable of immobilizing someone for 20 seconds, at 20 metres. I don't know whether they have got it reliably up to specification yet.

Boolit Master

Given the size; I would guess for a large electric motor (water well perhaps); or in a RADAR or high wattage HF Transmitter.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    You are most likly correct. Or it could be a military UPS. Since it has a Military part number no telling.

http://www.armyproperty.com/product/52414/12-712417-00/

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    A starter for a brushless electric motor, perhaps? The voltage quoted is probably a maximum, rather than intended.

Jules Verne, in his "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" of 1869, portrayed not only a fast and manoeuvrable electric submarine, but an underwater rifle with a Leyden cell to electrocute the quarry. Nice work for the time, but I doubt if any Leyden cell could deliver a voltage you could feel. As rifling twist must be proportional to the square root of the medium through which the bullet passes, it would have had to be thirty times faster than in air.

Homeland Security, though, have been working on a sort of capacitor-powered taser to be shot from a shotgun, which is said to be capable of immobilizing someone for 20 seconds, at 20 metres. I don't know whether they have got it reliably up to specification yet.

Boolit Master
    For a dollar each, I would have bought all 5 and made a coil gun.

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    All 5 would also make a dandy phase shift motor starter for a rotary phase converter.

Boolit Man
    The corona treaters at my work, a print shop, use 12 capacitors that are larger than that, 2 farads each IIRC.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

They're clearly flux capacitor parts.

Since we're guessing here, I'll SWAG they're for HVAC, possibly a chiller. Did I win?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned

I'd have to charge one up and hand it to my buddy
    then I'd know if it's good for something or not.

Boolit Buddy
    My first thought too. It would be good for hooking to a doorknob as a first line of defense home security.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

DC buss capacitor for some form of AC motor variable frequency drive (VFD), or inverter welder. Seems about right size, voltage and value. Most of the older inverter welders used lower voltage bus caps. The newer stuff utilizes a boost circuit and runs bus voltage as high as 950vdc. I use to be an authorized Miller and Lincoln welder repair mechanic. Have a pile of similar at home as spares for an XMT304.

Any form of inverter could utilize such a cap for bus voltage.

Boolit Master

I'd have to charge one up and hand it to my buddy
    then I'd know if it's good for something or not.
    We did that in the electrical class when I went to A&P school, you learned to be careful picking up a capacitor.
    Thanks to all who took the time to reply, I appreciate your input. Brassmagnet PM'd me and asked if the cap had screw terminals and a button as those were used in charging systems for navigational aids. It appears that is what I have. Again, thanks to all.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned
    Don't charge it up and then shock yourself because it could be the last shock you would ever get. A couple of them in a power supply for a tube hi fi amp would be dandy as it would yeald a 900 VDC rating at half the capacitor rating when wired in series . So 900VDC/900MFD

Boolit Master

Don't charge it up and then shock yourself because it could be the last shock you would ever get.
    No worry there. My first thought when I saw these was they could possibly kill you.

Boolit Buddy
    Is it possible that the original owner was into audiophile sound. We use such caps in the high voltage power supplies of tube (some would say valve) audio amplifiers.
    Long story short, increased capacitance results in stronger bass response.
    Purists will claim to hear the difference in different types: plastic, mica, oil in paper.
    And yes, they can put you in a world of hurt at the speed of light.

Boolit Master
    Start capacitor for a central A/C or heat pump compressor.

Boolit Buddy
    This could be for a ham radio amplifier power supply. I built one using caps just like that four in series with a high value resistor across each to be sure the voltage is divided equally. The VFD for a motor is a good possibility.

Ed C

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by turmech View Post
    Start capacitor for a central A/C or heat pump compressor.
    You do not use DC caps on AC motors. If a starter cap, it will be rated in MFD @ xxx VAC not VDC.

Probably mil stuff. Most 400+ VDC filter circuits do NOT use that high an MFD. Most are 200MFD or so.

VFD's are 3 phase AC power normally 220/440 VAC.....NOT DC. VFD is short for Variable Frequency Drive. Frequency varies to adjust speed of a 3 phase AC motor.

I have 2 VSD's (Variable Speed Drive) that are 90 VDC motors and use much smaller caps than that huge MFD rating.

Should have bought all of them! Fun to play around with at that high voltage and MFD!! You can scare the CARP out of someone charging it and then shorting it out near them!! B_A_N_G!!!!!!

I was a very bad child!

banger

Boolit Master
    1800 microfarads is a darned big capacitor. Be careful with thing---they may have come from a portable electric chair.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.