Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Trimmer Preferences

Case Trimmer Preferences

I am growing very tired of trimming brass. I have a Forster Classic that works great, either manually or with an electric screwdriver adapter.
    Don't get me wrong....I do not mind case prep. Resize, swage, trim, mike about every 20th one, clean the primer pocket, chamfer and debur....voila! Prepped case.
    You get to inspect literally every case that gets done. Nothing wrong with that. But I am sitting down to do 1000 308's for the summer shooting. There has to be a better way after the first 200.
    I do one step at a time. Take all 1000 and size. Then swage the 1000.....then trim the 1000....then chamfer and debur the 1000....then clean the primer pocket of the 1000. THEN I'm done and they are ready to load.
    I can't justify spending $400 on a Dillon or a Giraud. I'd love to but I just can't justify that expense, particularly since I can do exactly the same thing.....only a boatload slower.
    I just installed my spare cutter shaft and boy did that make a difference. I sent the old one back for sharpening.
    Any middle ground here? Can I improve output without spending $400+?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Yup, I have a Gracey for sale for $250. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-Case-Trimmer

Boolit Master

don't think you can get faster for the money: $70 fits any variable speed drill and cranks them out. Caliber specific but that sounds like that's what you want.
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod45315.aspx
    http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

Boolit Grand Master

The forester set up for a drill press works pretty well ( depends on stop for drill press) slower than gracey but faster than hand trimmer. I have a similar one I made from an rcbs collet and the holder. Works great for trimming also if you ever need to neck turn some cases. Mine stays right by my bench top drill press. For short runs I use a redding lathe type by hand.

Boolit Buddy
    Went thru a Lyman hand crank, then put on a drill. Next I got the RCBS motorized trimmer, great but slow. Now I think I'm at the top with a Forster base mounted on a mini mill. I've tried the RCBS 3 way cutter/deburr head and the plane cutter followed by the Lyman chamfer/deburrer head. Both work equally well the cutter only does have to be followed by the deburr but being retired I got plenty of time ( or so I hope).
    Last edited by kfarm; 05-26-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    You have an excellent trimmer. Just don't try to eat the elephant at one meal. Do 50 or 100 at a time.

Better yet set your calipers to the maximum allowable lenght and trim only the cases that are too long.

I shoot mostly bolt guns and single shots. I measure the chambers my rifles and allow the brass to grow until it is .005 shorter than the chamber.
    I then trim it. There is nothing faster than not trimming your brass when unnecessary.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You have an excellent trimmer. Just don't try to eat the elephant at one meal. Do 50 or 100 at a time. There is nothing faster than not trimming your brass when unnecessary.
    I do just that....50 or 100 at a time. I can take a break during the day (my office is in my house) and run out to the reloading shed and sit for 10 minutes here and there and do some.
    I am doing mostly once fired CAVIM 90 and 91 308 milsurp brass at this point, with a few others mixed in like commercial and LC brass. I do find that the CAVIM (once fired) brass needs more trimming than the others, but precious few need no trimming.
    Maybe I am just getting tired of trimming at this point. I have a perfectly good method albeit a tad slow.
    Thanks for the offer ALTHEATING. That is what got me to start thinking about this.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I don't trim by the thousands but do trim several hundred as a batch repeatedly during the shooting season (leveraction brass). I have the same Forster trimmer as you have set up to run with a Milwaulkee screw shooter. This driver turns pretty fast and trimming a case is a matter of seconds; probably 15 or so cases a minute, perhaps faster but I have never timed it. Any system you use still requires you to handle the brass and place it in or on the trimmer and secure the case in some manner.

A real time saver is the Forster cutter that trims and chamfers in one step. It is only available for .308 neck size but it is slick and like you, most of my trimming is for .308 necks.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

In Remembrance
    I just use the old lathe type RCBS trimmer, but with a custom 3-way trimmer. The trimmer does everything all at once, and I use a 2100RPM drill. When I get in the groove......doing 1K takes me just over an hour to do. After that I put them in batches of 250pcs in the stainless media and dry.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Tell me more

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I have the same Forster trimmer as you have set up to run with a Milwaulkee screw shooter. This driver turns pretty fast and trimming a case is a matter of seconds; probably 15 or so cases a minute, perhaps faster but I have never timed it.
    Tell me more about this "Milwaukee Screw Shooter" thingie.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Tell me more about this "Milwaukee Screw Shooter" thingie.
    Its a drill like tool that installs screws in drywall or sheetmetal. A good one like a Milwaukee will put you about half way towards the cost of a Giraud, unless you already own one.

I was in the same position as you, trying to process thousands of cases for competition and Prairie Dog shooting. Finally just bit the bullet and bought a Giraud. I can do about 14 or 15 a minute at a sustained rate. A Gracie should do as well, but caliber changes take a little longer.

I use a WFT, drill motor, harbor freight foot switch and a vise. Put the drill motor in the vise and lock the trigger on and use the foot pedal to power the drill. VERY EASY and you can go through a case every 6 seconds if you are trying to make a worlds record. I did about 200 223 in maybe 20 minutes and that was not pushing it.

I have changed to the electric screwdriver attachment on the Forster. Not the quickest but probably the least amount of energy required to trim. I can always change back to the hand crank to vary the routine.
    Someday when I have some money to burn, the Dillon or Giraud is in the works.....hey....my birthday is coming up.....maybe I can get the kids and significant other to take up a collection......
    Right now, 20 to 50 at a time seems to be a tolerable amount. After sizing, swaging and cleaning the primer pockets on the entire 1000, I can trim, chamfer and debur at my leisure.
    That ziploc gallon bag is filling with ready to load 308's....slowly but surely.

Boolit Master
    I started with a lyman hand crank. took the head off of it mounted to a block. now I clamp the block to the table of my mill and trim away. so much faster.

I finally got sick of trimming 308's. I was able to do 14 lbs of ready to load 308 brass. That should be somewhere around 600 plus the leftovers from the last round gives me about 700-750 to load. That should keep me happy for a while.
    I took everything apart and put it away. Now to set up the Star Sizer to size and lube about 1000 240gr swc 44's. Ready to load the mid range 44's. Then comes the 357 round nose (H&G #39) to use in the Rossi 92. Then I need some 38rn for plinking.
    Oh yes....then there are those 3000-4000 or 5000 223's that need to be processed. That takes care of my summer reloading schedule!

Boolit Grand Master

Do you have the three way cutter for the Foster? I have the 22 and 30 caliber ones and they speed up production a lot. Wish they made one in 35 caliber.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store...08&catid=19938

Boolit Master

The "World's Finest Trimmer" is now available as the "World's Finest Trimmer II" which has interchangeable bushings to trim most calibers; same price as the original with additional trim chambers running about $25. I bought one when I was trimming a LOT of .223. I also bought a Possum Hollow and the Lee setup. I didn't find a great deal of difference between the WFT and the Possum Hollow for moderate volumes of trimming but the WFT would make me happier if doing a large batch due to the bearing that isolates the case rotation from the housing; the WFT doesn't. The Possum Hollow spins the shoulder support The WFT is by far the fastest and easiest of them to use with the Possum Hollow a close second. I have a Forster as well but didn't care to try to process several thousand pieces with it. I would jump on the Gracey at $250 if I thought I would ever process that much brass at once again.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I started out with an old Hornady hand crank trimmer. I enjoy the reloading process. That is all but trimming. I have since graduated to the drill press mounted Foster and have not looked back. Once I have it set up and the length dialed in I can make hay. Funny thing about this I sort of enjoy doing it. Now that's saying something for me. I do need to come up with a faster way for the chamfer/inside neck reaming operation as I still do it with one of the hand operated ones and I still don't like doing it that way.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 CTS carbide trimmers. I use a drill or drill press, haven't determined which method I like better. Love the new dillon 1500 as it cuts 223 to blackout length BUT at $400, that's hefty.

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS 3 way cutter is great, however their old style trimmer would vary the length of a trimmed case "IF" the heads of the cases varied in diameter slightly or the collet handle was tightened differently each time. The case could be drawn inside the collet holder to different lengths and this resulted the trim length varying slightly. The Forester had a Brown & Sharp type collet and would'nt do that. I have no reason to change from the old style RCBS trimmer even though the length changes a thousand or so, i can live with that, I do use a Forester when I have to inside ream or outside neck turn but the RCBS trim/inside/outside debur in one step really appeals to me and saves a lot of time, especially when a power tool is used to turn the trimmer. OK, so I'm a little lazy but the trimming task looses a little of it's appeal after the first couple of thousand cases