RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Spotting Scope Advise

Spotting Scope Advise

Hi all. First I hope everyone has a good Memorial Day weekend. I'm thinking of getting a spotting scopebut since on a budget I was looking at some at Wally World but not sure what power I would need. I need one that will let me see hits at 500ydson a normal size target. Here are some that I'm looking at. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks.

Simmons Blazer 20-60X60 Spotting Scope
    Barska 20-60 x 60 WP Colorado Angled Spotting Scope
    Celestron 20-60x 60mm 45-Degree UpClose Spotting Scope
    Tasco World Class 20-60X60 Spotting Scope
    Celestron 15-45x 50mm 45-Degree UpClose Spotting Scope

Boolit Grand Master

I have a kowa 8?mm spotting scope a 77mm kowa Both 27X or so. I have used these at 600+ yds. I also have a set of 25X100mm celstron binocuars for spotting. I shot NRA High power rifle for 20+ years and the number of days bullet holes showed up past 300 yds ( 22 cal up to 30 cal) were very few. The way shots were actually spotted in slow fire were with operating pits. From 500-1000 yds targets were pulled for each shot and shots marked with a scoring disc white on black and or black on white. These discs were 1 1/2" for out to 600 yds the 5 1/2" for farther. At a match half your time was under the targets "pulling" for other 2 relays. In slow fire targets are pulled every shot and marked /pasted. A good pit crew can have target down spotting disc in old hole pasted and scored in 8-10 seconds. A spotting scope on paper targets with any range is going to be hard to see holes in due to light and mirage.

Boolit Master
    My inexpensive Konus Konuspot 20-60x100mm Spotting Scope (Opticsplanet) has served me well but I never shoot at 500 yards though.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

I have a celestron 90mm but it won't do 500 or 1000 yards for that I have a Wireless TV system - and works with rubber ducky antenna at 400-500 yards so no separate Yagie antenna needed like 1000 yards.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I did use one of the armies unertal 60X X100mm team scopes a couple times for team matches. It did show 30 cal holes at 600 yds but to 2 to move around was big awkward and heavy. The tripods to hold them are heavy surveyors type also heavy and awkward. A friend has a set of binoculars off of a ww 2 era battleship that also did a great job again very heavy ( the bodies were cast iron or brass) big and aukward to move around the binoculars actually took a dolly to move around. The tripod was even heavier than the unertals. These were meant for spotting the big guns naval hits at extremely long ranges. There is equipment that is capable but its really not user friendly. Both these optics are hard to find older equipment that may need rebuilt or repaired. It is also very expensive. LAst unertal team scope I heard sell went for close to $1500.00. The battle ship binoculars can go thru the roof depending on the ship they came off of and its history. Imagine a set documented from the missouri at an auction. or the arizona. Several at the local club are playing with security cameras and I pads getting good results Here the camera is under the target and sends the picture to an I pad notebook or laptap. Works good for them but also one low round at long range and the camera may be gone.

Boolit Mold
    Hello Folks.

I am a new member, and I would like to say that an outfit in California called BARSKA, have some very fine and not too pricey spotting scopes and also rifle optics.

I have bought a 125 power, adjustable from 80, and the only bellyache I have about it is it can't be hand held!
    Of course an old fart like me shakes a bit..lol

I used it to look at the Blood Moon last fall, and was very impressed.

Their web is: shop barska . com

Have fun!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've found that the lesser scopes work pretty good with the midday sun. Cloudy or early/late day they just don't show it. Further, I have the biggest problem with the tripods these things come with. Just a little shake and you can't see beans. I have a 15 x 60 scope (of a lesser quality) and the high power settings just won't do it as far a clarity on distant targets. I have managed to improve my lot with a homemade base/tripod made from welded aluminum. Takes out the slight vibrations and extends the useful range of the scope. The heavier and more ridged the better.