Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Listen up Newbies - No Kaboom reloading the Geezer way

Moderator Emeritus

Well, I tend to load rather sizable batches of ammo, unless working up loads. When working up loads, I'll have prepped cases ahead of time - sized, primed and expanded. Then I'll load 5 or 6 at a time of various loads. These charges are generally weighed, usually by using Lee's dippers to get close, and tiny spoons to adjust the charge to get it right. I'll charge all cases, and the FINAL move is just to visually inspect cases for the right and uniform powder level height. If it's consistent, I'll then seat the bullets.

Normally, for larger batches, which are more usual, I size, expand and prime them in lots, usually of about 200-300 or so. Then I set my powder measure for the charge I want, and operate it with 3 knocks against the stops on the downstroke and again on the upstroke. I learned to do this long ago by testing the drops with a scale, and found it provides the best consistency of any method I could think of to try, especially with bulky or large grained powders. I even do it with ball, but that's just habit more than anything else. The knocks on the upstroke is to ensure that static doesn't let some grains stick inside the measure, and it knocks them loose - again contributing to consistency. After the tray of cases is charged, I inspect them in good light for the right and consistently uniform height in the cases. Any that vary are recharged and rechecked, then corked with bullets.

However, NO procedure is in itself any real insurance. It simply takes presence of mind and attention to detail to prevent kabooms, and I should know, due to my one single mistake that COULD have cost me big time. As the old timers used to say, "Once burnt, a lesson learnt." There really IS wisdom in that. I just hope you newbies don't have to learn that the way I did once. It really ain't much fun!

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I'm a new born geezer. Ever since I first read this thread, I've been thinking about my routine. I had been starting with a batch of 50 in the tray, primers up. I then charge the case, set it back into the tray and move to the next. When the tray was all charged, I'd look them all over with a light then start seating boolits, then go through and crimp them all. Well, I just finished a batch of 50 with my new routine. Started with 50 cases in the tray primer up. I weigh the charge, charge the case and look in it. Then insert the boolit and seat it. When all 50 were done i changed the seating die to the fcd and crimped them all. I'm not sure but I think it was just as quick if not quicker. I have 2 single stage presses side by side and it worked great. Now I'm off to smelt some cowws.

I will admit to an early squib and reformed. I was, and still are, using many dippers, although I have two nice droppers, but no progressive press. I keep, ready-to-go, brass, in a tray, primer down. The cases all get filled and, with a magnifying light, above, they get a good look, or five. Next they get a bullet and get set. I keep other brass off the bench because I think I grabbed some others and went straight to press, making an empty case or two, wasn't paying attention. Now they all get set in the tray and no, one at a time, charging. I can do hundreds, an hour, but all are primed, trimmed, flared and sorted, already.

Something I've only recently started doing is checking my charges (rifle loading) with my electronic scales, taring the empty case just before charging it, then checking it with the powder in it. I've found some with a lot bigger variations than I'd ever expected, and had been missing all these years with just setting it up and occasionally spot checking. My RCBS powder measure does NOT throw more precise charges than Lee dippers with consistent technique. The scary thing I've seen happen on several occasions with the RCBS is powder bridging the dump tube, throwing a light charge into the case being charged, then that powder dumps into the next one. That happens with extruded powders and flake powders. I haven't seen it with ball powders. I've noticed myself getting distracted in the process, and as an earlier poster said, it's easy to miss the charging stage and load a boolit into and empty case if you're not vigilant. Weighing the charged cases helps. Sometimes I find I've missed the taring stage. It's humbling to realize you can and do screw things up. It's vital to be alert, check and double check to be safe.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Grand Master

Ricochet!
    My goodness, man. It is good to see you back. Is that a
    real beard or part of a Santa costume?

I have not yet seen the bridging phenomenon, but I am now
    using an RCBS electronic scale with feeder that seems to
    largely eliminate the problem when loading modest quantities
    of hunting and match rifle ammo.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    i started 40 years ago as a newby reloading for dear old dad and myself.

took a 30 year hiatus from loading ...and am back ...and i too am kaboom -less

pay attention!

Boolit Bub
    I've been reloading for more than 25 years. I use single stage, turret and progressive presses and learned along the way and am still learning some of it from the great people on this forum, well more than some. The best thing that could have happened was the beginning I and my two best friends had a reloading mentor all those years ago in my one friends father. He taught the art of hand loading including bullet casting to the three of us and I consider myself very fortunate to have received this education a good many people starting out today in our hobby don't have that luxury.

Boolit Grand Master

Good post, several good points. I use an RCBS ChargeMaster for most rifle rounds so I seat a boolit/bullet while the machine is weighing the next charge. I allow no distractions in the loading room, if I become distracted by something outside of the room I either ignore it or leave the room to deal with it. When I return I check everything before proceeding. Most of my mistakes have been related to distractions so I work very hard to keep them in check.
    I'd rather not beat the single stage vs progressive horse here, this thread is about setting up a safe process and keeping it safe. Same concept actually applies to progressives, just works differently.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Been reloading since 1968. No kabooms but ever vigilant. I really don't care about the routine of others. Mine varies depending on type of ammo.

But basically it's: One complete step at a time for all cartridges- not multiple steps for each cartridge. All fired cartridges to be reloaded are held in loading block- neck up for all steps. I don't use any variety of progressive press or multiple function dies.

Inside neck brush all with mica/graphite mix. Roll lube all using pad. Resize and decap all. Clean all with solvent on rag. Clean all primer pockets. Trim all. Chamfer all mouths inside and outside. Neck expand all if for cast loads. Prime all. Fill powder measure. Charge all- either by powder measure or trickle and scale. Inspect all powder charges by looking directly into case. Pour powder that's in measure (and trickler) back into powder can from whence it came. Seat all bullets. Crimp all if load calls for crimp. Transfer all cartridges to range box. Record load data into load log book (each has a unique number). Place load number in range box with loaded ammo.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 05-27-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have been loading since 1960 without a single incident. I use, mostly, the same technique with one major exception. I do not put the cases in the block upside down. My powder measure extends far enough from the edge of the bench that I can charge while the mouth up case is still in the block. I move the block under the measure and fill the cases in place. If the measure hangs up or 'burps' I immediately dump the powder back in to the measure and recharge the case. When I have finished charging all the cases I give a block a few gentle taps to uniformly settle the powder. That way I can visually inspect the powder level in every case. If any seem abnormally high or low I can recharge that case. Only then do I begin seating the bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Relatively new reloader, several years now (compared to some of you, I'm still in reloading 3 corner pants!). I have however, made a lot of rounds on my single stage press and had no problems relating to powder, pressures or safety. Since I reload for myself and my boys, I've taken as many safety precautions as I can discover/find and they have served me very well so far. I found the original post informative, useful and well written and many good comments. I was glad to see that it is very close to my current process, but I will revisit mine again after reading this and the replies here. Always something new to learn and better/safer ways to do things. Good to revisit once in a while before I get too set in my ways.

One thing I want to add to my setup, is install a light on the press to shine down into the case as my last line of defense before seating the bullet. I check after the powder drop and then again before seating a bullet. I currently use a flashlight and my geezer glasses and it is rather cumbersome.

H1

Boolit Buddy
    I too use a very similar drill and am using a rockchucker to reload with .Problem is I had a big kaboom a couple of years ago Somewhwere on the forum are the details from back then .It was diagnosed as an S.E.E. by several competent gunsmiths . Even with care stuff happens

Quote Originally Posted by PULSARNC View Post
    I too use a very similar drill and am using a rockchucker to reload with .Problem is I had a big kaboom a couple of years ago Somewhwere on the forum are the details from back then .It was diagnosed as an S.E.E. by several competent gunsmiths . Even with care stuff happens
    How can a gunsmith look at the physical remains of a destroyed firearm and tell it was a SEE vs. another type of over pressure load?

I really don't like to argue, but I need to say that I don't believe that stuff happens absent human negligence.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Not trying to say I was not in some way at fault
    Entirely possible I got distracted and screwed up

Boolit Buddy
    Could easily been a double charge not trying to say i am perfect and don't make mistakes one gunsmith works with Wolfe Publishing ,which publishes Rifle and Handloader and the other is a several times state benchrest shooting champ and several time Army Combat Marksman winner with about 50 years exsperiance Did I xcrew up yes quite possible I did just will never know .What I have done is reboot procedure to try to ensure it will never happen again

Quote Originally Posted by PULSARNC View Post
    Could easily been a double charge not trying to say i am perfect and don't make mistakes one gunsmith works with Wolfe Publishing ,which publishes Rifle and Handloader and the other is a several times state benchrest shooting champ and several time Army Combat Marksman winner with about 50 years exsperiance Did I xcrew up yes quite possible I did just will never know .What I have done is reboot procedure to try to ensure it will never happen again
    It is indeed possible for anybody, no matter how long they have been reloading to make a mistake. That is why we need multiple and redundant safety checks and the purpose of my original post. If there is enough redundancy in our safety checks, our screw up will be caught BEFORE the trigger is pulled.

If is not difficult for anybody familiar with firearms to determine if a Kaboom was caused by a barrel obstruction vs. an over pressure load. The gun dismantles in different ways. But I don't think it is possible to determine if the over pressure was a SEE (which is unlikely) vs. too much or the wrong kind of power or deep seating or multiple bullets seated. To split those hairs, we have to rely on what the shooter tells us, and most often they tell us there is "no way" they over loaded a round.

One of my abiding concerns about reloading today are the folks that say, as you did, that even with utmost care guns can blow up. Guns can blow up but the odds are very very great, that when they do, human negligence was the cause.

You say, that you will never know if you screwed up or not. When a fellow looks down at a destroyed firearm in his hand, he can safely assume that whoever loaded the round screwed up. The odds of it blowing up because of non-human negligence reasons is minuscule.

I really an not trying to pick on you or give you a hard time. But, you showed up here and joined in the thread. My goal is to impress on newer reloaders, just how dangerous this can be and that their reloading procedures should respect and reflect the danger involved. My gut tell me that many do not.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    No problem I chimed in to share my story the odds are I did screw up in some way believe me I have studied it closely I shared to show that even the most careful of us ,which I thought I was can screwup

I suspect that cellphones & reloading are not a good combination
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Should be a sticky to be read by new loaders....IMHO
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Moderator Emeritus

I second the motion, Slow Elk. Can we get a vote?