Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official 45-70 Lyman 310 Thread

Official 45-70 Lyman 310 Thread

Does anyone own one of the 310 tools for 45-70?

Does it work and work well?

Can you use cast bullets?

What vendors are they available from?

Aftermarket dies or parts available?

I feel this would be a great pack tool for month long hunting trips. i.e. 2 months in the Alaskan Wilderness

TIA,
    Duke

Last edited by Just Duke; 03-17-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    DUKE:

Yes;

Yes;

Yes;

Lyman: Handles (Large) Stock #7000058, $52.70; Die Set, #7020120, $59.95; Carrying Pouch, #7000059, $9.95. Or, slightly cheaper from Randy Davis' "The 310 Shop", <www.the310shop.com>, as well as from Midway, Midsouth, etc., etc.

The 310 Shop has assorted 310 dies and adapters in many other calibers, including a bullet sizing die that can be used with the 310 tool @ $15.00.

The 310 is the most compact of the current crop of non-bench-mounted tools, though slightly slower than some; it'd be a fine choice for your purposes. Fun, too!

floodgate

Thanks for the fast response sir.
    Which of the above is a forum supporter? I like to use vendor affiliates.

Boolit Master
    Floodgate has given a pretty good summation for the 310 tool.

I load for 3 rifle with mine, 45-70, 405 WCF, and 22 WCF.

A great tool that has few limitations, I use it at the range to test loads.

The only "problem" I see is that you can not keep up with progressive presses.

Not a big deal unless you are shooting a handgun.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

DUKE:

None of the listed sellers of 310 tools is a supporter of this site, as far as I know. Randy has looked in from time to time, and I have bought, sold and swapped parts with him for a couple of years. Check them all out and make your own choice.

floodgate

I just talked with Randy at the 310 shop he seems like a nice enough fellow.
    Looks like I am going to get the handles at $55.00 new and the dies runs $55.00 with $6.00 shipping.
    Does anyone have a good pic ofthe 45-70 dies and Handles?

DUKE:

Glad you went with Randy; I'm sure you will be satisfied with his 310 stuff. I don't have a photo of the 310 set handy just now - and you'll probably have yours in hand before I "get around to it" - but here's one for you to check out: the old Ideal No. 5 tong tool made primarily in .45-70 from around 1890 up to WW I:

If you spot one of these, complete, for anything under $200, either grab it yourself, or let me know ASAP!

Good luck, and enjoy your new 310 tool.

Doug
    Last edited by floodgate; 03-18-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I got the best accuracy from both of my Handi 45-70 barrels with Lee whack-it Loaders. I bought one for each barrel. In fact one barrel has two of its own due to my shooting two different bullets in that barrel.

In Remembrance
    WOW!! Doug, is that what the 45-70 tong tools are bringing? ! have 26+ tong tools, a couple are duplicates, and the most expensive one was $79.00 with the de-cap pin. Bought my 310 set in 45-70 several years ago and think the complete set cost around $50. I wonder if my wife knows how much these items will be worth in a few years? Guess I'll start an inventory list for those too! I HAD a tong set in the orange box for 50-70 and foolishly sold it to a buddy. MAN!! When I see what those are bringing now.... Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

mazo:

That's just for the No. 5, a very specialized tool. Others would be the No. 2 for the S&W .32-44 and .38-44 No. 3 break-open target revolvers, the No. 7 for the M-H .44 XL shotshells, and the No. 8 for loading the HB bullets for the .32 & .38 Colt "inside-lubed" pistol cartridges. The No. 1's (small pistol ctgs.), No. 3's, ("The Rifle Crank's Friend"), No. 4's (short rifle & pistol) and No. 6's (large rifles), and No. 10's (rimless rifle and pistol) are in the $75-150 range, depending on condition and completeness - rare or specialty calibers and versions considerably higher. There apparently never was a No. 9. The "310" evolved from the No. 3 and No. 10, by addition of the separate priming die. A few of the steel-handled 310's can be pricey, too, especially those with the oversize dies for 8mm Lebel, .348 and the .50-70. PM or e-mail me if you want to go deeper into these, or look at the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Ass'n. site at <www.antiquereloadingtools.org>.

Doug Elliott
    Last edited by floodgate; 03-18-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    310 tools are on page 344 of the Midway catalog. .45-70 dies are $56.99 and large handles are $51.99. This is a set of .30-06 that I use alot. If you click on the picture it will enlarge and you can see the price tag (upside down) which is $10.00. Of course, that was with a set of steel handles. I probably should mention that I bought this at a gun show in Columbus, Nebraska in 1978. I remember the year because they were celebrating their centennial that year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0143.jpg  

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    FWIW, I use my 45-70 tool to load 45-60. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't believe they are so high. I have picked up many a set for $20 or so, handles usually for $15. Even picked up a steel handle that was nickle plated and marked 250-3000, but no dies.

Boolit Grand Master

I much prefer the Lee Hand Press. It can full length size with its compound leverage, it uses standard dies and it can be had from F&M Reloading for $21.99. It weighs a mere 1.5 lbs.

This is a good piece of gear. It is VERY useful for "on the range" reloading.

I also have an original Lee Turret press that can be housed in it's own wooden box for carrying and/or storage that can be used as a mounting stand for the press. I have often worked up loads at the range with MUCH faster results than loading "five of this and five of that" at the home shop for transport to the range.

Dale53

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    I got the best accuracy from both of my Handi 45-70 barrels with Lee whack-it Loaders. I bought one for each barrel. In fact one barrel has two of its own due to my shooting two different bullets in that barrel.
    Agreed. I'm not even going to try loading .45-70 on anything bt my Lee Loader. (I don't keep 2 loaders, but I do make a "LockNutSet Dummy for each of my different boolits...)

Really, I can totally see where pistol cartridges are/can be a pain on a LL, but for Bigguns like the .4570, and Shotties I really can't see anything else being more "user friendly" or safe...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Wow! I didn't know they brought that kind of money. Why are they worth so much? My uncle left me several of them, some Ideal, some Lyman. Calibers include 45/70, 38 Special/357 Mag, 22 Hornet, 22 K-Hornet.
    Racer X

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    Wow! I didn't know they brought that kind of money. Why are they worth so much? My uncle left me several of them, some Ideal, some Lyman. Calibers include 45/70, 38 Special/357 Mag, 22 Hornet, 22 K-Hornet.
    Would the 45-70 be on the market?

Boolit Grand Master

Here is my Pac kit, I currently have one in 30-30, 38-55 and 7.65 Mauser along with assorted dies for other calibers. The old flask is handy as it drops just the right charge of Unique for my small game load for the 30-30. I have had one of these kits in 45-70, but since I only used that for target and Buff hunting I didn't use it much. In the late 60's early 70's i used a 310 to load all my 45-70 for my trapdoor. Lubed the sas cast bullets in a pan and squeezed them into the case over 70 grains of Dupont FFg in old military cases F/A 89-92.
    Last edited by KCSO; 04-07-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    KCSO

Nice set up for the 310.

Guess I know what one of my next projects will be, currently using a shoebox to hold my stuff!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

310 tools are great

I have a 310 tool for my 45-70, 300 sav, 45 LC, 300 win mag. When I would go out hunting for long stays I would take them with me. Another great thing about them is once you work up a pet load it is easy enough to make a powder dipper and keep it in the box with the dies. Then there is no need for a bench mounted powder measure. I can also sit and watch TV and load shells.
    The 310 tool is likely the most versatile reloading set up ever made. I wish I could get my hands on an older one for the 45-70 and 45 LC that has the bullet mold built in to the tool, so you can cast your own boolits with the same tool you reload your ammo with. The few I have seen out there are all very old and not in that great of shape.

best wishes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast