RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ML postal match

Boolit Master
    I have had a talk with Jr to try and get this going without confusion.
    His rules are,
    #1 any iron sighted rifle, cap, flint, inline, or whatever as long as it is shooting a patched round ball.
    #2 5 shots for group off hand at 50 yards
    #3 5 shots for group rest at 100 yards
    Now I have proposed to him and he has agreed and as long as it is OK with everyone else,
    #1 there will be a $5.00 entry fee payable to 45nut to benefit the site.
    #2 The Bull Shop will offer as a prize 1lb of speed green or NASA lube (your choice) for the best group in each class.
    #3 The Bull Shop will offer a $20.00 gift certificate for Bull Shop products, the winner to be drawn by Ken ( if he is willing) from the list of entrant's
    #4 cut off is may 15 to post mark targets, it would be nice if you include the load, cal, rifle type and pertinant info with your target
    That sound reasonable?
    BIC/BS
    Last edited by Bullshop; 03-20-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I'll certainly help with the drawing and send a CB bumper sticker to the Steenking Pistol class winner.
    Lett'er Rip!
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Just some thoughts, and I'm sure some others may chime in, to say I'm full of crap. This refers to patched round ball rifles.
    100 yards will eliminate some of the potential shooters. If they have a squirrel rifle in .32-.36, the accuracy will be falling off after around 60 yards, if that. .40-.45 will generally shoot up to around 80 yards well. 90 yards seems about the end of best .50 work. After that, you get into rifles that carry a bit better.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Waksupi
    You are no doubt correct about the range limits on the differant calibers. I have no clue being relatively new to ML. I am however trying hard to catch up now having aquired about 7 in the last year or so.
    One of these is a TC hawken with a GM 32 cal barrel. I took this very new to me rifle out last week and at 50 yards was absolutely amazed at the accuracy. So encouraged by that I tried at 100 yards and was well pleased with the results. It was a reasonably calm day but not without some wind. Not knowing what I am up against I would shoot the 32 and have fun. I also shot a 58 cal rifle that seems to be something of a frankenstein made up from parts of others. It did very well also and I had great fun. Not knowing what to expect for accuracy I was looking for something acceptable to hunt with for game that may be hunted with each caliber.
    For the big caliber I was happy to be able to hit my paper plate target at 100 yards. The gun bettered that by 100% so I was happy. For the small gun at 50 yards it would be capable of making head shots on rabbits at 50 yards. At 100 it seemed to do about as well as the big gun but there were a couple unexplainable wild shots that were out of the group by about a foot, weird.
    I guess in my ignorance I am going at this with a winning dont matter attitude and that just being there is enough fun that it dont matter. Still being a hunter I am always looking for at least acceptable accuracy for that or I would loose interest fast. The fact that I am a beginer and right off the bat have gotten acceptable accuracy for hunting tells me that the ML is capable of far greater accuracy than I had thought and that they will hold my interest as I progress from my idea of good to your idea of good.
    I know its going to be lots of fun along the way.
    As for Jr's match no matter what the outcome this site will benifit and that will make us all winners.
    God bless
    BIC/BS

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The match is a great idea, just pointing out some of the eccentricities of the smaller calibers. It sounds like you met some of the gremlins, with those flyers way out of the group! Wind is not our friend!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    50 yards is my practical limit, due to this and that.. but sure, let's doit toit. Joyous Easter, guys!

Moose

Boolit Master

Is there a pistol class? $5 per class? I'd sure like a chance to put the Lyman 54 up against a 25 yard target. It would generate more cash for the site and would also give me more cleaning time - always a plus.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

What is the address we are sending targets to? I got my offhand shot, and embarrassing as it is, I will send it along.
    I did bench my old Beckwith before I started in. I got a group a group of about an inchat fifty yards. Then I moved on out to the hundred yard range. The group opened up to around a foot, so I won't even bother sending that one. I'm pretty sure that one wasn't all operator error, just the .43 cal. ball loosing stability at that range.
    I then shot the fifty yard off hand. I managed to jerk the trigger well enough to get about a five inch group. Sure wish I could still see, and didn't shake like Hillary at an NRA convention.
    I did make a sight adjustment. I had fine sights on this old Pennsylvania flint rifle, and I took a round file to the rear sight, and opened things out as far as I could. It now works like half an aperture sight, and is MUCH better for older eyes. Still doesn't do anything for mirage, but definitely an improvement.

Boolit Master
    Now that is perty!
    Targets go to,
    The Bull Shop
    HC 62 box 5640
    Delta Junction Alaska 99737
    Pistal class??? I guess if ya get a few others ta shoot it I will put up a prize. We dont have a ML pistal right now but we do have a good reason to get one.
    If we keep adding more clases I will have to come up with some bee's wax.
    He is risen! God bless
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe I missed it somewhere. What targets do we use?

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jackley View Post
    Maybe I missed it somewhere. What targets do we use?

Jerry

It ain't my party, but we generally shoot for group size. Most likely, whatever you can see best!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Waksupi

And might I add thats a fine looking shooting iron you have there.
    Jerry

Boolit Master
    Well for me the broad side of a barn might work. I will just keep shooting until I have 5 on it. Good thing I wont have to ship it though.
    If you can hit something smaller that will fit into an envelope go for it.
    fishawk, you got over 7 weeks so its too early to make excuses. I am saving mine up.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Now that is perty!
    Targets go to,
    The Bull Shop
    HC 62 box 5640
    Delta Junction Alaska 99737
    Pistal class??? I guess if ya get a few others ta shoot it I will put up a prize. We dont have a ML pistal right now but we do have a good reason to get one.
    If we keep adding more clases I will have to come up with some bee's wax.
    He is risen! God bless
    BIC/BS
    I have a Lyman plains pistol 50 cal and I'll go in @ 25 yards. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

any target you want
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jim4065 View Post
    Is there a pistol class? $5 per class? I'd sure like a chance to put the Lyman 54 up against a 25 yard target. It would generate more cash for the site and would also give me more cleaning time - always a plus.
    I think $5.00 for person.
    Will have to ask dad.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    now THAT is a purdy rifled gun Waksupi!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I did make a sight adjustment. I had fine sights on this old Pennsylvania flint rifle, and I took a round file to the rear sight, and opened things out as far as I could. It now works like half an aperture sight, and is MUCH better for older eyes. Still doesn't do anything for mirage, but definitely an improvement.
    Any chance you could post a picture of that rear sight? I've got the same problem with the 32.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Quote Originally Posted by jim4065 View Post
    Any chance you could post a picture of that rear sight? I've got the same problem with the 32.
    Jim, sorry, my camera is at work. Pretty simple deal, though. Just file away a large semicircle in the sight. My front sight was sighted so it was basicaly even with the top to start with, so the sides you leave on the rear, give you a centering and elevation reference.

I think I want in on this....a few questions.... from what I've read it sounds like my Flintlock will be competing at 100yrds with someones TC oncore?? this will be a tough one

For the pistol can a cap and ball be used or just a traditional ML?

I realise this is "honor" system so is it the first target that I shoot or the best target out of 50 that I shoot?

This sound fun....let me know

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast