Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder coating instead of "regular" lubing?

Boolit Master

I would really like someone with a Ransom rest or similar to try some accuracy tests. I've made a couple I wouldn't mind really testing. There seems to be as much difference in coatings and accuracy as there is in different lubes. Just like I know there are harder lubes I wouldn't use in a .38 special of a softer alloy I'm thinking coatings have or are something similar but just different enough that it's taking some new thinking and testing. New mold designs may be needed as well. Think about all the efforts that went into solid copper projectiles. This isn't that different.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Pardomn my ignorance but what is that contraption and where did you get it. Looks like the right thing for the job!
    It is a NuWave oven. EBay has lots of generics. Set bullets on the tray, set hood over tray, set timer for 20 minutes. I now use boards cut for the hood to set on, set up bullets while the first batch bakes.
    Thanks, Joe
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Bub
    I've been powder coating for .300 Blackout for several months, and am starting to get decent accuracy. Unfortunately, I've got a cheap upper that won't shoot anything I've tried better than 2moa. With powder-coated bullets, I'm getting 3-4MOA. My most recent experiment, putting gas checks on after powder coating, instead of before, looks like it might be a consistent 3MOA. Certainly good enough for plinking ammo.

Boolit Master

Come to think of it, I'm remembering all the complaints against plated when that was a new thing suddenly getting big on the market. It's not as accurate as blah blah blah, you can shave off the plating during seating, it costs more than regular lead bullets, and on and on, and on. And yet there is a good enough market for plated that there are several big names in the business and plenty of shooters that shoot nothing else. Heck, Federal has even been using them in their cheaper line.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Sure is harder to make shoot accurately
    Maybe ( for long range BR shooters)? An advantage I've seen is NO first shot flyer from lube due to extreme temperature. 30F to 100F.
    Spud - it depends on the twist unless you're talking subs.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Maybe ( for long range BR shooters)? An advantage I've seen is NO first shot flyer from lube due to extreme temperature. 30F to 100F.
    Spud - it depends on the twist unless you're talking subs.
    Popper, I'm shooting supers--155gr. Lee, PC with GC added after. I can't recall the twist, but I think its 1:10. Or whatever the twist is supposed to be to allow shooting subs. Just haven't started the sub process, yet.

I'm pretty pleased with 3-4MOA, since I don't get much better with jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master

I saw no difference in accuracy between PC and BLL using the same setup at 25 yards.
    What in tarnation is BLL? Oh! You forced me to do a search, Bens Liquid Lube! Another variation on a theme, some way to modify grease! If using an acronym, provide a key in your text!

Since I have adopted PC,(powder Coating), I haven't used my Lyman 450 lubricator. Either one of them.

Any change in components will certainly affect how the load shoots. With that in mind, how can anybody expect a coated boolit to shoot the same as one that was lubed with grease? You WILL have to do a new load workup.

As for witch process is faster, depends on how you do it. PC boolits are ready to load as soon as they cool off. Tumble lubed requires at least a day to dry before you can load. Lubers like the Lyman are slow because you have to handle each boolit. A star is quicker, but you still have to handle each one. All of the above smoke like heck when being fired.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Most BOs are 1:7 or 1:8. I tried pushing a 142gr PB @ 1700 in the 1:7 and got same results as you. Heat treating didn't help much. Changed to 1:10. Saving my pennies for a 1:12 7.62x40WT so I can shoot the 170gr GC.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    These are my thoughts as well.
    Sure is pretty. Sure is harder to make shoot accurately.
    "accuracy"...........is in the mind of the beholder.

My ESPC'd boolits shoot very well..........just as well as FMJ with equivalent power load.

No leading.......no Cu fouling.......no smoke (I shoot indoors a lot), no sticky boolits here in the desert heat. All in all, PC is perfect for my needs. Not everybody's....mine.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I do both. I have a couple of pistols which i could not get to stop leading until PC. Now would a better sized boolit have also cured my problem, likely yes but custom moulds are not in my budjet at this time. PC offer's me a way to make a boolit a little small into workable. I have all Lee moulds as 20.00 fits better in my budget and the ability to make one mould work for more than one firearm is a god send for me. I still lube (pan lube) but only for rifles and only the ones I have proper fitting boolits. I do find lube to be a bit more accurate but also find PC to be "good enough" for me to plink or hunt with.
    Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12