Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: throwing in .22lr towel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    The problem with using pellets is that they are only about 15 grains.
    yeah that's why I suggest casting 45gr boolits to push. 45gr is just about the heaviest 22lr, but should be perfect.

Boolit Master
    IF, anyone can find some, Aguila in Mexico makes a sub sonic .22 rf with a 60 gr bullet, BUT it really requires a faster twist than the usual 1/16 .22.
    I use it in my 1/9 Handi ,.223 with a chamber adapter, works well, but the ammo is very hard to find.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    +1 on that. I got a Savage 25, and a 40 grain NOE WFN mold last summer.
    Does that WFN feed through your bolt action? It's GREAT in my single shot, been working with a Stevens 322 now and it is crazy accurate at 25 yards with the light loads I mentioned using the 225438 but won't feed that WFN NOE design I like so much for squirrels.

Boolit Master

I do have the Lyman 225-415 and plan to light load in the .223 with it and see how quiet and accurate I can get it. That should shoot cheap and still be good for the kids.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The first time the Gun Salesman of the Century was elected, people went nuts buying Centerfire ammo and components, leaving the rimfire alone. So I stocked up on .22's, easily enough for a few decades of hunti g and occasional practice. Now the Centerfire components are mostly back, so I've ignored the .22's and am casting and reloading alot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Tired of going to gun shows and seeing the table full of 22's in assorted sizes and brands from multiple stores at scalper prices. Not tired of walking past since I have some in the ammo pantry, same as I walk past the massively overpriced "armor piercing" green tips. I do remember who the sellers are however. Let god forgive em. I'm going to hold a grudge.
    AGREED SIR! These are the same opportunistic creeps that would scalp bottled water and lifejackets. PIZZ on them!! I will just keep casting and reloading. My 22's can sit in the safe.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I shot BP for 50 years. About 8 years ago, I got interested in maybe shooting 22s again - hadn't done it since I was a kid when I could buy a brick for $5.00. I'd always wanted a Ruger 10/22 so bought one and bought one of Sarco's conversion kits to make it into a "M-1 style carbine". Then I had a chance to buy a Henry from a friend that had never shot it - always wanted one of those as well. I got started with the shooting - had fun - and then the "shortage" hit. I have several rifles that were my Dad's that I'd never part with but I'm seriously thinking about eventually selling most of my 22s - rifles and pistols. I have waited in line several times to buy 22 ammo - refuse to do it ever again. Why put up with the frustration when I can shoot my ML and 38s cheaper than buying 22 ammo?

Yea . ."hoarders" contributed to the situation but I also have to ask, after reading the post on CCI . . . if the market is out there, they can't produce enough and they know the potential is there to sell it . . . most businesses would be looking at expansion to meet the needs and make more $$.

I' amazed when I go into a gun store and see people buying 22s and then they can't find ammunition to go in them? Where are the gun manufacturers who make them, want to continue to make them and sell them? It seems to me that the industry needs to combine their efforts to get a sufficient supply of ammo out there so they can all sell their products.

But . . let's face it . . . I . . and everyone else started to have problems with "supply" about 8 years ago gee . . . what does that time frame correlate with?

For those that still love their 22s and are willing to go the extra mile to hunt and find the ammo . . I commend you for your patience. What I really feel bad about is that what was once an inexpensive way to teach youngsters to shoot and about gun safety has really had the brakes put on it. I cut my teeth on 22s the same as many other folks. I took a lot of squirrels and rabbits with an old 1915 Stevens Favorite when I was a kid - as my Dad had done when he was a kid with the same rifle - still have it and treasure it. I just wish that the same opportunity would be there for today's youngsters without "breaking the bank" and having to hunt and hunt to find the ammo. But . . . it is what it is . . .

Boolit Master
    Ammo Mfgrs. most likely Do NOT want to spend the Money on the Machines while the Current Regime is still in power as 'he' is still adamant 'he' want to Ban ALL Firearms in the USA. What other product could be made on the Machines to get back the Investment?

Just My Two Cents.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Buddy
    Hang in there! I've used a substitute caliber to hold off on the 22lr. It's pretty pathetic of people to buy it up and list on gunbroker, etc. For twice the price of Wal-Mart. Those type are no help in keeping the price low. I'm with ya bud!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    Does anyone know of a good kids rifle that shoots a reloadable 223? Hornet etc.?

I would suggest a CZ in 221 Fireball. "Friendlier" brass than the Hornet and will easily span from 22 Short to not far behind the 223. I'd be completely shocked if it isn't one of the more accurate firearms/cartridges in your collection.

The only wrinkle is finding shotgun/pistol powder (but that's true of any light load lately). With some H335 and a RCBS/NOE 22-055, it's a NICE CB cartridge.

Maybe that's a bad suggestion; if you don't get two rifles, you and your daughter will be fighting over it.

I wouldn't sell a 22LR firearm. I WOULD stock up up on anything available and reasonable: primers and rifle powders. 7.62. 55 gr 5.56, etc. You get the idea.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    A CZ American in 221 Fireball would be an excellent rifle. Rumor is that they will again be manufacturing them. I will believe it when I see it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    I've owned my .22 rifle and pistol for over 40 years
    Have had mine for 58 years. Hardly think I would part with them now!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    They now have scalping gun dealers who are in on the shortage problem. They are buying pallets of 22LR ammo as if they are for the counter sales and then put them on Gunbroker for the Screw you buddy prices. Greed turns people into very ugly persons.
    I'm 68 years old and received my first 22lr in 1957. I was only allowed to shoot it with my father present. In Louisiana you could go into your corner gas station and buy 50 round boxes for about a penny a round. We would shoot at least three boxes a week in those times. I hope all those with the huge stocks of 22lr to rob others with, all fall and break a arm. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I'm with you Cajun Shooter, except I hope they have problems more complicated than just a broken arm. Say maybe a softball size Prostate.
    S45

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I'm with you Cajun Shooter, except I hope they have problems more complicated than just a broken arm. Say maybe a softball size Prostate.
    I'm thinking recurring golf ball size kidney stones...

I just bought an upper for my AR15 in 9mm, that should be as cheap as 22lr, or cheaper and more fun to shoot to boot. I just have to make sure I use my shell catcher every time I shoot it. No big deal as I have plenty of empty 9mm brass.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master
    I have been stocking up for 30+years on primers, powder brass, lead, molds, 22 ammo and everything else for shooting including a 32cal muzzle stuffer. I have no reason to sell my 22lr guns as I have plenty of ammo. I even bought a 22 Cricket for the grand kids yesterday at Wal Mart for $104. I am confident the shortage will come to and end. Normally when there is a long term shortage of an item, some one will build more factories if there is any money to be made. I have managed to pick up about 3000 rds of 22lr in the last couple of years for about $25 per brick. That's more than I usually shoot so I'm still good. Anybody got 22lr guns for sale cheap.

Boolit Master

That $0.50 in 1957 is $4.25 in 2015 dollars. I have more than 40 .22's . They ain't going anywhere. You know what I hate about the shortage ? More people taking up casting, less lead to scrounge for me !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    That $0.50 in 1957 is $4.25 in 2015 dollars. I have more than 40 .22's . They ain't going anywhere. You know what I hate about the shortage ? More people taking up casting, less lead to scrounge for me !
    And combining that with the move from lead to zinc and steel in the wheel weights, it makes it even worse...

Boolit Grand Master

Honestly, I wouldn't give a care in the world if 22 blew away forever. Unfortunately, Arkansas state hunting regulation is written such that if you want to hunt squirrel with a rifle, it has to be a rimfire. There is absolutely no provision for low velocity center fire with cast bullets.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast