WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel guilty, what should I do?

Boolit Buddy

I feel guilty, what should I do?

Hope this is the right place for this post. If not, please feel free to move it.

I have a co-worker that has brought me back 5 buckets of coww, all lead. He said that his uncle has owned a tire shop for 20 plus years and has been saving only the lead weights to start casting boolits for himself. He never did get into casting and has recently got in trouble with the law prohibiting him from owning a firearm. So he's giving them all away.

According to my co-worker, his uncle is going to give me all of his wheel weights. He's talking about at least 30 buckets worth. I have offered everything from cash to beer and both my co-worker and his uncle have refused any type of payment. I have offered my co-worker free boolits (as components not loaded ammo) and he swears he'll never run lead through a gun again.

Long story short, I have been raised in the believe that you should always pay for what you have received. So, this blessing has left me feeling guilty. Does anyone have any ideas or words that could ease my mind?

Perma-Banned
    payin' it forward comes to mind.

Melt them down, sell off the clips, pass that bit back to them if not in cash, then in commercial bullets to your friend. Pass some on to someone else who is in need of lead. If they just won't take anything, pass on to someone else when you can.

Boolit Grand Master

SOme want to be helpfull and to some they are getting rid of unuseable material. I have bought gift certificate cards at nice resteraunts for friends for thier help. I also listen to them and when they talk an intrest or need help them if I can. Listen and pay attention at some point a need or want will be mentioned and you can step up to repay the favors.

Boolit Master
    in my younger days I would shovel the snow for the old woman across the street and clean out the others driveways with my snow blower without pay. now my neighbor comes down and cleans out my driveway and will take nothing for it. so if you do a good dead it comes back to you years later. so maybe you are getting payback.

Boolit Master

+1 on what country gent said.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Getting rid of thirty buckets may be a blessing to them, and they feel overjoyed to be rid of them. The gift certificate is a nice idea.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I have already offered gift cards, they refused.

I like the idea of paying it forward. I may have to do that if it's as much as my co-worker says it is. For now I have to replenish my stock as I have been down to less than 50 lbs of roofing lead for more than 2 months now.

Boolit Master

Are you near Goshen?
    And do you have a smelter?

Oh and will the foundations of your garage handle all that weight?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You (or a hired somebody) could cut his grass or shovel his snow (or whatever you have there) for several times.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

This was one of the hardest lessons I ever learned in my life. Sometimes.....someone just wants to do something nice for you, and the best thing you can do, for them, is to simply and graciously accept their generosity. You strike me as a man of great character, so I have to assume you too have given some gifts in your time...... When on the giving end, did you expect anything in return??? I didn't think so!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    Trails4u, I didn't think of it that way, honestly I would be insulted if the tables were turned.

Plate plinker, I have recently moved across the Ohio to Louisville. At least for a spell, I can't stand being able to spit out my window and it land on the neighbors house. (Literally, I accidentally did it when we first moved here)

Boolit Master

Bummer on being in Louisville. I understand the housing is tight you sure do see it when you pass through on the interstate. Best of luck.

...raised in the believe that you should always pay for what you have received.
    Accept it for what it is... a gift... and pay it forward to someone else sometime.
    Sooner or later it all comes around.

And who knows? Maybe he's paying forward himself....

Boolit Master
    I believe I know where my next sets of tires, and rotations would be coming from since he owns a tire shop.

Just saying.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

I fully agree with Trials4u. It is a great blessing to you to receive this gift, but don't rob your friend of his blessing of giving. It is also a great thing to pass on blessings when you can. Just think what kind of place this world would be if we all looked for ways to help each other without expecting anything in return? This forum is a great place to start.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Moderator Emeritus

My neighbor has been helping me with heavy lifting stuff because of the neck surgery. She won't take anything but I have had her over for BBQ twice!

Boolit Master
    Help a kid and tell both party's what you did. Talk to their parents first and take them to the local "Hunter Safety Course". Tell the parent it for safety, first in this day and age....

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana shooter View Post
    I have already offered gift cards, they refused.

I like the idea of paying it forward.
    Not every gift received has to be the cause of guilt, nor does it have to be paid forward to assuage the perceived guilt. Just accept it. Enjoy it. Share it at your leisure. Make memories. Life is good.

It really is that simple.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Not every gift received has to be the cause of guilt, nor does it have to be paid forward to assuage the perceived guilt. Just accept it. Enjoy it. Share it at your leisure. Make memories. Life is good.

It really is that simple.
    No gift should be the cause of guilt. The guy gave you something you can use, that by the way cost him nothing. Take it in the spirit it was given and drive on. I've been humbled by unexpected gifts but never guilt ridden.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell