Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
Static, how does it work? If you buy a PC gun that creates a charge that on the move or has a path to ground. Using the DT method there is not direct path to ground, might work in you bare feet but I always wear sneakers. I thinking static may not have anything to do with it unless it has a way to get to ground to create magnetism in the bullets. Could the static charge jump from bullet to bullet.
It is based on the static (triboelectric differential) of the lead and the #5 plastic container (or similar). The higher the differential, the greater the potential charge. I have found black BB's help to distribute the charge. It has nothing to do with earth ground. You can have a static charge between two objects totally separate from a charge to ground. That would be a second potential that does us no good in coating boolits. What you wear or stand in/on does not effect the charge going on in the container, although it could minimize it with higher humidifies.

Check this out for the differentials: http://www.school-for-champions.com/...m#.VVDK0dhMvmE

Note that lead is a positive creator and plastics are negative.....the greater the differential the better. An "earth ground" is not needed at all. What your create in the bowl is a "floating ground" between the lead and the plastic.

As has been stated many times on here by many people, this is a process that is kinda like magic. There is no industrial use or documented procedure for rolling things around in plastic containers to coat them. The powder is engineered to be applied with a coronal discharge electronic spray gun. We, over the past months, have been extremely fortunate to discover numerous ways of using the properties of that powder to coat lead. Most powders will work to varying degrees. Matte colors kill static in the BBDT process due to the matting agent and generally are very unsuccessful in dry tumbling, but work great in the high potential constant voltage output ESPC guns. I use HF matte black all the time for 100% perfect coatings.

I have personally observed that humidity has a great deal to do with the potential created. The drier the better! ESPC electronics create much higher potentials and constant outputs that humidity will not cause nearly the problems as you see in your plastic bowls.

To those that are successful with BBDT..........good job. Get out there and coat those bad boys.

To those that are having difficulties getting it to work..........keep trying, it is possible to make it work. You need to play around with the MANY variables involved to find what works for you. And next time it may not work the same way. That is the "magic".

banger