Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The ZLUG Thread

Boolit Master

LB, no disappointment here, that's why I'm waiting for your hands on inspection. No risk in the cylinder bore as it was an easy push through out of the barrel I shot.

Hog,

I have a rifled barrel 12ga handi that I will volunteer as a guinea pig for testing your Zlugs. I have a remote trigger operator (30'
    of parachute cord) and a milsurp flak jacket.

BB

Boolit Master
    Hmm. Anyone try a Lyman 525 with Zn yet. I would much rather use Zn vs all the lead I have been using. Maybe make a plug so it is a solid base to bring the weight up? I have Zn, and a mold but I need some ideas to try.

Is the consensus right now for zinc shotgun slugs that they will work out of smoothbore, just unsure about rifled barrels?

I read the thread, but I didn't see any paper patch or the crushable sabot wads (like accordian ribs all the way around the wad, er, skirt, whatever...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master

Well, they will shoot out of smootbore but accuracy is untested. Longbow will certainly try some as will I next week.

Boolit Master

BB,
    You've got a deal! PM me your addy. I need all the quality input I can get and you're a likely suspect.

Boolit Grand Master

Without drag stabilization there won't be any accuracy out of a smoothbore... well, anymore than a few feet from the muzzle anyway.

However, with the addition of an attached wad there is a possibility of some accuracy anyway.

I won't likely bother shooting naked Zlugs out of my smoothbore just to go "BANG". I will attach a wad of some description then give that a go. Then there will be a "BANG" and some potential accuracy. I will also use some end grain wood or other stopping material to check penetration as well. I'm betting a Zlug will shine in the penetration department.

Longbow

I'm excited to hear results about doing this! I am interested in finding out what wad is used and the effect, and will be following closely!

Keep up the awesome work guys!

Boolit Master

Just talked to Tom Armbruster @ ballistic research. He's intriqued by this project too. I will load 3 each of 2 or 3 different charges and he shoots them. Rocket science on his end but not mine! He will be shooting them out of a Hastings barrel too. He can make recommendations based on the results. I will get these off next week some time. Man this is moving along! Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement.

The Zlugs have arrived! Range report soon. I was preparing my shoulder for this project by shooting 650g boolits with my 50-90 this morning.

BB

Boolit Master

Hey BB, the point of this whole exercise is to produce a full bore slug that does not dislocate shoulder! 50/90????? Sheesh, hurts to think about it. I'm getting a package to Ballistic Research this week with 3 each of 4 loads: For the Zlugs loads of 34, 37, and 40 grns. of Steel in 3" Winnie Hulls, a Fed. 209a primer, an x12x gas seal and 3 hard cards, roll crimp. Also a zinc .600 2-ball load that weighs about 15/16 oz w/ 42 gr Steel that oughtta be pretty snappy.

Progress, loaded 10 Zlugs tonight. Load #1, 35g blue dot, (1) x12x gas seal, (4) .125" nitro cards, fed 209a, win 2.75" AA hull, roll crimp. Load #2 is one nitro card, 60g sr4759 other items same as load #1.

I engraved a slug in my rifled barrel with a ball peen and half inch dowel rod. Very light engraving and it only took very light strokes to tap the zlug down the bore. Me thinks my barrel is a tad on the overbore side. FWIW, it was harder to drive one of turbo's fullbore slugs down my barrel than the zlug.

My scales said the Zlugs weighed 1 1/16 ounce, or just over 30 grams for our friends on the other side of the "pond".

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 06-09-2015 at 06:26 AM. Reason: added gas seal info

Boolit Grand Master

I still haven't received my Zlugs yet so have at 'er BB, you are in the lead and have a rifled gun so more interest for more folks.

It will be interesting to see how they do but if engraving was that easy I doubt pressure will be an issue. Even if the Zlugs are a bit undersize for your barrel I am betting they are hard enough that they center up and do okay... as long as you have a good gas seal ~ I don't see mention of a gas seal. I found I got significant leakage in loads using nitro card wads and no plastic gas seal not long ago.

Longbow

Boolit Man
    Hogtamer,
    I have found that X12X gas seals are usually destroyed at firing leaking gas in the slug area, even with slow burning powders. Actually the only gas seals I found that work satisfactory are those cut from a standard lead shot wad (overpowder cup only).

LB,

I edited my post to include the gas seal I used.

I am not too concerned with pressure in this particular shotgun as the bore is a bit large and I am using starter charges (for a 600g fullbore slug) of powder. I have decided to pass on testing Unique, too fast a burnrate.

BB

Boolit Master

This is reminding me of the first time I launched my big wooden boat I built 15 yrs ago. Anxious a bit, hoping for good results. Nothing to do but point it in the right direction and give 'er the gas! LB, I thought the postman would have wandered your way yesterday, package went out on the 1st.

I fired two 12ga Zlugs this morning in my fully rifled H&R. Both the gun and I are alive and well. Both Zlugs went through about 8 inches of OSB and then dug a furrow in my barn floor, a mix of limestone screenings, gravel, dirt and sawdust. I found one zlug and I am sure I could reload it. I am still looking for the other slug. I will make a range trip shortly with the chrony and some targets.

BB

Boolit Master

BB, you da man! And that was a starter load?!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAnky-QJwII

Fired Zlug, 60g SR4759.

BB

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast