RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Which Would you pick the Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rossi .454 Casull

98 48.76%
  • Rossi 45 Colt

103 51.24%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull

Boolit Bub
    I have both, I first bought a stainless 16inch 454 for a short bush gun and my 24 inch 45 colt was bought for cowboy action. If I had to choose between the two I would pick a 20 inch 454 just because I could shoot 454 and 45 colt

Boolit Master
    Coming very late back to the thread, a couple of things:

Robert - sorry that I failed to note you are in British Columbia. Yes, your rules are different, some better, some worse. All governments are best at screwing things up.

On the issue of the relative strength of the 92 in .45 Colt vs. .454, and the ability of the R92 in .45 Colt to handle 50k PSI loads, I'll side with Paco Kelly: http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm
    In that article Paco states:

"And for Christmas 1998 my wife bought me a Rossi rifle model ‘92 in 45 Colt, with a 24 inch barrel. Which I have been running 50,000 psi pressures in ever since. Nary a problem except one....the loading tube kept cutting the retaining screw off at the muzzle from recoil generated by the heavy loads."

He goes on to state that he didn't believe the '92 design could stand up to 62k to 65k PSI loads, but he had put over 500 rounds of 60 to 65k and an additional 250 rounds of his heavy handloads through his .454 '92 with no problems.

Also in that article there is a short discussion of Browning's development of the '92 from the 1886 that is worth reading.

On the Leverguns.com (Paco's website) there is a forum posting of an OP asking for a Marlin .454.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...hp?f=1&t=12008

Steve (Nate Kiowa) Jones and Buck Elliot post some input on the .454 leverguns. I wish Elliot's old post of test data of his .454 testing of Winnie 94s and Marlin 336s was still around. The claim that something once on the web never disappears from the web isn't exactly true, at least in this case.

And after deciding that my 70+ year old shoulder didn't like that curved steel buttplate on the .45 Colt, I decided to try out the Boyd's replacement buttstock. It has far too much wood (MUCH better than not enough), but it is a simple remove the tang screw, switch the stocks and install the screw swap. Much better on the shoulder.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tradbear55 View Post
    Exactly why I would buy the 454 casull.
    ..............this
    NRA Benefactor

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win 94 45 colt Ranger 1-15-2016.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	180426
    This Winchester 94 Ranger 45 Colt with 250 gr XTP 24 gr H110 will push out the 16.25" barrel at 1536 fps ~ 22 kpsi, 3 moa
    The recoil is intolerable.
    Putting a large limbsaver grind to fit pad on it and not grinding, it is tolerable.

My BAR 338 Win Mag 250 gr 2600 fps, I can shoot all day.

Boolit Buddy
    45 Colt. Don't need the extra power (or noise). btw: just added one to the collection.

Boolit Master
    Anyone know if they are still making the 454? I don't see it on the Rossi website and haven't seen any at the gunshops lately.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Bub
    What prices are you finding for the R92 in your neck of the woods? Local shop has new for 450.00 and tax for a 20" barrel.

Banned

it's a personal thing, as with most firearms. i have no need for casull horsepower. anything larger or tougher than whitetail that needs killing is assigned to the .45-70, which is now a ppb virtual .45-90 and more than up to the task of handling any nor'merican critters.

the rossi 92 i just bought in 45colt has the 24" barrel, from grab-a-gun for $515 shipped. guess i paid too much.

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I would go with 454 as you can shoot either in it with good results.
    This - same as why I generally look at 44 mag or 357 mag - gives you options for both specials and magnums.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I wouldn't turn down a .45 Rossi just because I wanted the .454. Rossi's seem to be getting harder to find, at least certain models. Seems like some have been discontinued, like most w/octagonal barrels.

Boolit Master
    Well it seems it is all about knock down power with most here. Living in Oklahoma the 45 colt will knock down anything I
    come across, as wild pigs to black bear. I load my own shells, & it is much cheaper with 45 colt. I load my revolvers as my
    Rossi in 45colt. The 92 Rossi I load a little heaver than the pistols, but .005 cents a round is not bad.

JMOHOP Fly

I load both and the only difference is is a few grains of powder, have brass for both that is 20yrs old. Same molds for both with some of the heavies used mainly for the casull or PP 45 rifle stuff.

Same as my 35 cal stuff goes from 38sp plinkers to 35 Whelen.

Mild to wild.

If you are a homebody and never plan on leaving whitetail country that is different. I bought my first 35 whelen in Arkansas with dream of going elsewhere.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Buddy
    I came into possession of a Rossi in 45 Colt and am very happy with it. I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and can use many of the same bullet styles in the Rossi. I will keep my shots less than 75 yards where I hunt so I don't need the extra power or blast of a 454 Casull. I don't understand the reason for the small primer in the 454 either. It seems to work well for those that have them though.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    I came into possession of a Rossi in 45 Colt and am very happy with it. I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and can use many of the same bullet styles in the Rossi. I will keep my shots less than 75 yards where I hunt so I don't need the extra power or blast of a 454 Casull. I don't understand the reason for the small primer in the 454 either. It seems to work well for those that have them though.

It is a small rifle primer, not a pistol primer.
    Not sure why...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    It is a small rifle primer, not a pistol primer.
    Not sure why...
    I think it had something do with pressures. I believe the rifle primers can handle higher pressures than pistol primers. Seems like .454 is in the rifle pressure range.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Looking at the previous posts, I would buy a 454 and mostly shoot 45Colts through it, mainly because of the reported tighter chambers on the 454, but the odd sized bore is another annoying factor. I havee a mate tryng to get me to swap all sorts of things for a Rossi 454, but he has an unrealistic idea of it's value.

My 44Mag Rossi can rattle my teeth with sufficient zeal that I don't really see any need to upgrade, haha.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Looking at the previous posts, I would buy a 454 and mostly shoot 45Colts through it, mainly because of the reported tighter chambers on the 454, but the odd sized bore is another annoying factor. I havee a mate tryng to get me to swap all sorts of things for a Rossi 454, but he has an unrealistic idea of it's value.

My 44Mag Rossi can rattle my teeth with sufficient zeal that I don't really see any need to upgrade, haha.
    Everything I shoot through mine is sized .452, never any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post

Here I thought I was the only one who lost teeth with the 44 Mag. I put a Limbsaver on mine and it hurts quite a bit less. I now have a shoulder that has a torn rota tor cuff and an absence of cartilage so I am afraid for the next couple of years long guns and I are pretty much done. The curved butt plate is a killer!

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have also found that the 44Mag with a decent lead boolit at sane velocities is a bang flop kind of deal. I would only load to Gonzo levels if there was thins like bear around and if there was, I'd be packing a more powerful rifle anyway.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    My Puma .454 came with a recoil pad. I definitely would have not wanted it with a curved metal butt plate. I do not think the 44 ever came with the recoil pad though. I used it for cowboy shooting and shot 45 colts through it. I covered the recoil pad with a piece of faux leather so the other cowboy shooters wouldn't give me a hard time about it not being "authentic".

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast