Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Which Would you pick the Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rossi .454 Casull

98 48.76%
  • Rossi 45 Colt

103 51.24%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull

+1

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia John View Post
    countryroads, I don't know where in WV you live or hunt but believe me there are things to hunt in WV larger than deer. They are big black and furry and a 454 casull or .45LC are nice to have on those occasions. My personal preference is the .45LC.
    Racist post...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Implied

Bearcove,
    What I said was that I have read that the 1892 action is strong enough to handle the pressures, I DID NOT say anyone should be doing it, and I know it is not something I ever have or will attempt. I also said that while I do use "Ruger-only" loads, at least for some things, that I got a .45-70 for times when I want more. Nowhere did I suggest anyone should be loading a .45 Colt to 60K-level pressure loads, so I hope you didn't get the idea that I was.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    The 1892 action is known to be strong enough to handle 60K CUP loads, based on what I have read. Now I don't know how extensive the testing was with those kinds of loads, or how many rounds were fired. I know my Rossi is good with "Ruger-only" .45 Colt loads with 270gr RCBS SAA boolits, but I have a .45-70 and use either a 330gr Gould HP or a RCBS 405gr that casts at 420 grs for when I think I may need more power. Now, I don't really think more than .45 Colt is needed, but it's nice to have options.
    Just to help clear things up, unless someone it trying to stir the pot and put words in my mouth, the only thing I IMPLIED was that if you need more than Ruger-only .45 Colt power levels out of your .45 Colt 1892 Rossi rifle, then you should follow my lead and get a .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    Just to help clear things up, unless someone it trying to stir the pot and put words in my mouth, the only thing I IMPLIED was that if you need more than Ruger-only .45 Colt power levels out of your .45 Colt 1892 Rossi rifle, then you should follow my lead and get a .45-70.
    Hmmm... Let's see... A .45 Colt has a 0.454" (lead) or 0.452" (jacketed) diameter (according to the wiki page) whereas a .45-70 has a 0.458" diameter. We're always saying that there is no substitute for "big", right? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Besides, with respect to recoil, the .45-70 in the lower end of the powder loadings always seemed like it had more of a "push" instead of a "kick".

I think it is fair to say those of us with Rossi lever guns can all agree the curved steel butt plate is down right hurtful when shooting 44Mag or 45 Colt at the high end of the manual loading's or the "Ruger Only" loads. As a seasoned poster from Australia advised me, "Bob the guns will never be of historical interest, put a recoil pad on that 44 Mag and save your shoulder". I paraphrase his advice. I did and it did.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I for one am all ways amazed that people WON"T take 2 screws out (carefully) with the proper screw driver head size, tag it to what its for and install a oversized, modern butt pad. The soft gel types, etc. are without a doubt much better. Then they load it to the max and try to find some one to shorten the barrel to make it louder..??? or sell it on Gun Broker.

Boolit Master
    I have Rossi 92s in both .44 Mag and .45 Colt, and load them like they were meant to be, and actually LIKE the fact that they have steel butt plates that are durable instead of some piece of plastic that will break or piece of rubber that will dry-rot and come apart in 10-20 years. I know 10-20 years is a lot of use, but I also regularly shoot mil-surps that all have steel butt plates and recoil more with full power loads than a .44 Mag or .45 Colt will, and they don't bother me any either. I also shoot .50 and .54 Lyman Great Plains Rifles, and if you take a look at those butt plates, the Rossi seems like it has almost no curve at all. I must just enjoy pain and didn't know it til this conversation.

Boolit Master

When I was a teenager, the deer rifle that I used was an Arisaka Type 99 (7.7x58 Arisaka) that my father had brought back from WW-II. It had a straight steel buttplate and I never noticed it as having a painful recoil. Using power factor as a measure of momentum and momentum as a measure of recoil, the Arisaka had a PF of 427 and the the .44 mag is less than that unless you get into the +P+ Buffalo Bore loadings.

I stumbled across an old single shot 12-gauge awhile back that had a rubber recoil pad on it. It had gotten so hard over the years that the underlying wood was probably softer than the rubber. I ended up sawing it off and I'll probably end up putting a steel buttplate on it one of these days.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with navyvet, I have 7 of the rossi Hartfords in 45lc and my load is a hot 44mag+p and I have never really noticed any shoulder pain. Have 3 454s and the biggest problem with them is just hanging on when they go boom. Only shoulder pain I have really experienced from shooting was a 375H&H ruger#1 shot prone, I don't recommend doing that, it hhhurts.

Boolit Master

At this stage in my life though, I have to wonder if I could differentiate the pain from shooting a hot load from the background pain chronic pain that I already experience. Typical case of "if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of my body when I was younger".

As far as 45 colt vs 454, 45 colt, dont need anything more. If you max them out you have the 454.

The 1892 design is inferior to both the 1894 Winchester design and the 1936 Marlin design

I would, and have both of those, and no Rossi 92s.

If I were to ever get an M92, it would be Lucas McCain's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rif.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	142151
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Banned

"The 1892 design is inferior to both the 1894 Winchester design and the 1936 Marlin design"

​How so?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    The 1892 design is inferior to both the 1894 Winchester design and the 1936 Marlin design

I posted this on the other thread on the Rossi 92 that stated the 92 is an inferior design "The Winchester 1892 is a scaled down 1886. I much prefer 92's and 86's over the Winchester 94's. Both the 86's and 92's are smoother and the 92 is claimed to be stronger design than the 94. Different yes. Inferior how so?"

I am still waiting for my education on why the 92 is an inferior design??????????????
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-15-2015 at 11:49 AM.

My nexr Rossi will be in 45Colt, a Ranch hand. I want to put a full buttstock on the gun. To me this combo would be the perfect pack gun.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    As far as 45 colt vs 454, 45 colt, dont need anything more. If you max them out you have the 454.

I would, and have both of those, and no Rossi 92s.

If I were to ever get an M92, it would be Lucas McCain's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rif.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	142151
    Please explain this, cause while both have advantages and disadvantages, they were never meant to do the same exact tasks. I could understand if you had said that one is better than the other for a specific task, or a specific caliber, but I would LOVE to hear the explanation on how one is just flat out all around superior to the other.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    My nexr Rossi will be in 45Colt, a Ranch hand. I want to put a full buttstock on the gun. To me this combo would be the perfect pack gun.

Take Care

Bob
    I could be mistaken, but I think that would be making an SBR out of the Ranch Hand handgun. If I'm correct, don't get caught with it without registering as an SBR and paying the Fed Tax (or don't get caught with it.)
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I think that would be making an SBR out of the Ranch Hand handgun. If I'm correct, don't get caught with it without registering as an SBR and paying the Fed Tax (or don't get caught with it.)
    He's a 51st Stater. The rules are a bit different up there.

The Ranch Hand is consider a rifle up here and the addition of a butt stock is entirely legal in Canada. Nobody said our gun rules make any sense but some times we benefit from the bureaucratic lunacy that abounds on both sides of the 49th.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Well I can now vote. I bought the Rossi in 454 and I love it. This one is as smooth out of the box as any rifle I have bought new. Clean and crisp trigger break and it points like a dream. I ran a several dozen rounds of mild up through hot loads through it. It didn't have single feed problem with 454 or 45LC.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast