Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: Which Would you pick the Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rossi .454 Casull

98 48.76%
  • Rossi 45 Colt

103 51.24%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull

Boolit Buddy
    It's true you cannot load the 45 Colt to 454 performance except in the strongest of firearms such as the 5 shot Linebaughs. However, when run in the 30,000 psi range the 45 Colt is certainly no slouch. I have both a Rossi 45 Colt, 20" round barrel, and a Ruger Redhawk 4" 45 Colt. I run the same load in both, a 300 grain WFN from an Accurate Molds block over 23 grains of H110, It runs 1175 out of the Ruger and 1600 from the Rossi. Both guns like the load and cast from 50/50 WW/lino I've no doubt, though I've never had to try, they'll penetrate from one end of a bear to the other. The Rossi is so much easier to pack than my Marlin 1895, especially when I'm making multiple trips packing meat. On another note the only handgun that ever hurt me, and I'm no stranger to big bore handguns, was a Freedom Arms 454. One cylinder full and I was flinching so bad I had to go back to a 22 and work my way up to big bores and heavy loads over the course of 6 months. I find the 454 recoil to be fast, sharp and objectionable. I'll stick with my 45 Colt.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

I'd go with the 454 because you can shoot both cartridges. However, it doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun with full power 454 loads. I have the Rossi carbine in 44mag, and that curved butt plate leaves a nice mark with factory type loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    There seems to be quite a price differential on several sales sites between the .454 and the .45 Rossi's. Same for the ammo. If I had no use for a .454, I wouldn't spend the extra money for something I didn't need. Put the additional cash into something you can actually use, like more .45 ammo.
    '

I picked up my M92 in .454 Casull because it fell into my lap.
    My local FFL knew I have a penchant for the big boomers, so as soon as it came in the shop he called me.
    I got it used, but in 95%+ condition, and I only paid $300 for it.

That was 2 years ago.
    It has since taken 4 whitetail. Two with .454 Casull, and two with very hot loaded .45Colt.
    I also have a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull. It has an 8-3/8" ported barrel with a full lug.
    There's enough weight there to mitigate the recoil left after the porting does it's job.

I like the .454 Casull, and I would do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelund79 View Post
    I'd go with the 454 because you can shoot both cartridges. However, it doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun with full power 454 loads. I have the Rossi carbine in 44mag, and that curved butt plate leaves a nice mark with factory type loads.
    I had my gunsmith cut the butt square and add a recoil pad and the gun became shooter. Someone on this site suggested I [put the curve butt plate pn my bicep as opposed to my shoulder. The bruise went from my shoulder to my bicep. That is the only gun I ever shot that was instantly painful.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

I've had 92 clone 454's. The first I took hog hunting with a couple of friends after seeing what it did the went into a bidding war to buy it. So I only owned it for 6 months. Found another one and I won't give this one up. It is more accurate than the .45's I've seen. I can load it to 45 black powder levels and below, I can also load it to the top end with 395 grain cast and Lil' gun. I always use 454 cases for 45 level loads and 454 loads. My vote is 454.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Grand Master
    As of my vote, it's a tie. I only bought a .454 rifle because I already owned 3 revolvers in that caliber.

I've done extended sessions (50 rounds) of shooting with full tilt 330 grain gas checked loads. Yeah, the shoulder gets a little tender, but nothing like it does with the same number of rounds through my 45/70 guide gun.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I have to state I have not shot either however is there any truth to the idea that shooting shorter brass such as 38 special in 357 or 45colt in 454 creates a "blast ring" in front of the shorter cartridge that can cause problems with chambering the longer cartridge?
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master
    I have a Freedom Arms 454 , bought the 454 Rossi . I intend to shoot both 45 Colt AND 454 Casull in the Rossi. yes the chamber needs to be clean to shoot 454 . I use an old 460 case with a saw tooth edge to ream the chamber clean in the field . I put up my loads in longer brass to cut down cleaning chores . All that said my 94 winchester is for 45 Colt , but is blue , I will shoot it little and carry my stainless Rossi and use it most . The Rossi is replaceable .

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I also have two Rossi's both in 45 Colt. If I need more caliber .45 power I get out the 45-70 and never have to wonder if my shoulder will stay attached and if the carbine will stay together.
    I did buy a BFR 454 so I could shoot some "stout" caliber 45 loads and not have to wonder about a Ruger or Dan Wesson flying apart.
    I think the old saying "use enough gun" relates not just to the case inserted but also into what it is inserted. The caliber .454 Rossi is a fine stout carbine made of good materials. But I think it is taken to the extreme of safety with max loads. Degradation of materials is ever present with every shot. Anyone know for sure when that fine line will get crossed? We all know the Winchester "Toggle " lock up had limitations. Mr. John Browning vastly improved the lock up. I wonder what his thoughts would be today upon viewing our quest for more power in light weight carbines.
    I used to drag race. Ever watch a 11-1 compression 327 piston exit the block through the head on a dark evening. Pretty but expensive. That engine never showed any signs of getting "over the limit" of material overload. It just let loose.
    Mike in Peru
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I am paranoid. I don't trust a 92 action for sustained fire with 454. 45 Colt is plenty. As has been stated in other threads, for heavy pistol bullets any velocity over 900 fps is simply to flatten the trajectory curve. 45 Colt loaded to its true potential is more than enough, plus I trust the 92 Rossi to hold Ruger type 45 Colt loads.

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    I am paranoid. I don't trust a 92 action for sustained fire with 454. 45 Colt is plenty. As has been stated in other threads, for heavy pistol bullets any velocity over 900 fps is simply to flatten the trajectory curve. 45 Colt loaded to its true potential is more than enough, plus I trust the 92 Rossi to hold Ruger type 45 Colt loads.
    The rossi will take full power loads in 454. 45 colt is plenty some times.

The idea that you never need more than 900 fps is funny. I'd much rather run 300 grs at about 1800fps when I walk around in bear country. My SS 454 rossi is my boat gun for fishing in alaska. I guess if all you run into is a coyote or small deer you don't need it. My choice is a rossi in 454 max loads that are reliable, 300+grs. BUT, I also load a bunch of 260 gr swc to 850fps for my son to shoot, they are fun and will do for a whitetail.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master
    I have the Puma 454, and yes heavy loads will get your attention. The rifle only weighs 5 lbs- fully loaded with 10 heavy loads its a little over 6.5 lbs. But it's a quick pointing carbine for fast shots when needed. There isn't anything I would feel under gunned for anywhere in the world with that rifle . Nothing! Also have a Win '94 in 45 LC. I broke it with Ruger only loads so I have to stay 1-1.5 grs below max Ruger only loads. Still plenty of punch with 300 gr at 1750 ish fps! But no where near the 1998 fps in 454 with the same bullet! Or the 2300 fps with 240 gr XTP's! If you want something stopped NOW get the 454 Casull.
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 05-02-2015 at 01:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    I bought the Puma in 454 because I found a used one in 100% condition for $370. Yeah, it does kick some shooting 317gr boolits at 1950 fps but it does come with a decent butt pad. I load a 260gr boolit at about 1200 fps for the wife. She likes it a lot. Gunnut pretty much covered why I like it.

I have a Rossi 45 Colt and its chamber is big too. I put a rear site from a Contender on and a taller front site to match. So it has easy windage and elevation adjustments.

The strangest shot for me on a whitetail was with this rifle and a 300 grain 1600 fps RNFP load. He was going right but must've veered left at the shot. It hit the right shoulder socket and went out through a jugular at the base of his neck. With out any damage in its rib cage it took off favouring that limb. He bled out and ran less than 150 yards. He is a 11 pointer on my wall now and I often wonder how lucky I was and how thin the line can be for "pass/fail".
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

454 my choice and load it down if recoil is too much ..
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Buddy
    I have a rossi in 454 and a ruger super redhawk in the same caliber. like the others here mentioned, if you are recoil shy, just load the 454 down. I shoot a 300 grain cast over aa#9 at about 1600 fps in the rifle. good load, accurate, and recoil is tolerable. I shoot the same load out of the pistol and it's a handful, but still not too bad.

Boolit Master
    .454 without a doubt Loud down or up.

Boolit Master
    No question a +P 45 Colt. Cheaper and more available brass and bullets. It is suitable for any game for with a pistol caliber lever action carbine is appropriate. The Casull really doesn't significantly increase effective range and at close range any game in North America won't notice the difference. Sometimes enough is enough. OTOH some people's egos occasionally need massaging.

Boolit Master
    For bullet caster trim the .45 Colt back a little and take advantage of the extra length to use a long ogive bullet. A little increase in ogive length will yield about as much energy increase at longer ranges as the .454 and will do it at less recoil.

Boolit Mold
    I to have a Puma in .454 and it super accurate and shoots either cartridge with amazing consistency...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast