MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

View Poll Results: Which Would you pick the Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rossi .454 Casull

98 48.76%
  • Rossi 45 Colt

103 51.24%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull

Boolit Grand Master

Can't you shoot both from the 454? That would make this a no brainer I would think
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Mine is a Puma model 92, and you can read more about it here:

https://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm
    Thank you, now to find one like he did for $400!!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    There are a couple of advantages the .454 carbine gives you over the .45 Colt version.

You get a mag tube that has a very secure, threaded connection into the receiver. No more experiences of the mag tube popping out under recoil, as many of the .44 mag Rossi owners here have already attested to. Sure, lots of folks will say that they don't load their .45 Colt ammo that hot, but personally I'll take a stronger rifle any day of the week.

With the .454, the mag can also be loaded like a tube mag .22. The inner sleeve can be pulled out, and you can just drop shells in, then slide the inner sleeve back in and resecure it. This can be pretty handy when doing a lot of shooting. My thumb can get a little tired shoving shells through the loading gate after a while. Yes, I know the loading gate spring pressure can be lightened a little which can help some. I've done that on my .44 mag and .357 mag Rossi 92s, but I wish those two also had the ability to load the mag like the .454.

I certainly wouldn't have any problems at all with a .45 Colt model 92, but given the choice I'll take the .454 every time.

Boolit Master

454 all week and twice on Sunday!!!

WHY NOT!!! It shoots 45 Colts but the 45 Colt ONLY SHOOTS 45 Colt!!!

As a hand loader it affords BUKU more options!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    .45 Colt... if I need more gun, I've already got a .45-70!
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Buddy
    It's odd that every time someone mentions they want to shoot 38's out of their 357's, it usually brings multiple warnings about "carbon rings" developing that could cause higher pressure when going back to the 357 length cases, or erosion in front of the 38 cases, yada yada....same thing with the 44 mag/44 special.
    I've never heard anyone mention this with the 454/45 Colt combination....
    Personally, I think all the warnings on the 357/38 and 44 mag/special are mostly urban legend/old wives tales, but that's just my experience. I just find it odd that nobody sees a need to "warn" anybody about this with the casull....

Boolit Buddy

I bought a nice 5" Model 29 classic from an elderly gent who wasn't able to shoot anymore. It turned out that he had always used .44 Special in this gun and it wouldn't even chamber a magnum cartridge when I tried. I spent several days of alternately soaking with Kroil and brushing to get the carbon ring out. I have no idea how many rounds of .44 special it took to do that but I know for a fact it's not an old wives tale. Freedom Arms warns not to shoot .45 Colt in their .454's.

Boolit Grand Master

With proper cleaning it's a non-issue. Without proper cleaning it can become a very real issue.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

My vote is for the 454, it gives you more options and a solid rifle

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567