WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TUG View Post
    I'd like to know more about the Uberti 1873 41 special, that's nice!
    ronnie
    I bought it from a gentleman in Colorado, he had this one and a 1866 converted to .41 Magnum for cowboy action shooting. It started out as a .44 Special and is chambered for .41 Magnum, so I can use magnum length cartridges if I want to. To feed reliably maximum C.O.L is 1.570.
    Other than the barrel change and maybe some extractor tweaking I don't know if anything else needed to be done for the conversion. The action has been slicked up with a light weight carrier and short stroke kit.

KO

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    ko41, very nice display of the .41 and I am envious. I have a single cavity 41028 mold and it too functions flawlessly through my Marlin FG. Mine, cast of Lyman #2 alloy end up right at 212 gr. Single cavity molds are slow for sure, but the boolits are VERY consistent. I like the looks of that Saeco 220 FP. May have to go in search of one. JW
    I haven't shot any of the SAECO 220 FP yet, but did try feeding them to the Marlins, with a C.O.L. of 1.667 they choked on them.

Does your 41028 look like my 212gr 41028?

KO

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. Sweet looking 41s! I've got a Marlin FG and a CCL.
    ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by ko41 View Post
    I bought it from a gentleman in Colorado, he had this one and a 1866 converted to .41 Magnum for cowboy action shooting. It started out as a .44 Special and is chambered for .41 Magnum, so I can use magnum length cartridges if I want to. To feed reliably maximum C.O.L is 1.570.
    Other than the barrel change and maybe some extractor tweaking I don't know if anything else needed to be done for the conversion. The action has been slicked up with a light weight carrier and short stroke kit.

KO

Boolit Master
    Commercially available .41 SPECIAL...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=497090914

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ko41 View Post
    I haven't shot any of the SAECO 220 FP yet, but did try feeding them to the Marlins, with a C.O.L. of 1.667 they choked on them.

Does your 41028 look like my 212gr 41028?

KO
    Looks exactly like it. I am thinking about asking Swede at NOE if he would build a 4 cavity mould. I would want to increase the lube groove capacity a bit is all I would want different. Marlins are picky on feeding, mine will feed the rcbs 210 swc decent, not good enough for a fight with a bear, but a with a chipmunk you could win the fight. JW

Boolit Buddy

great thread, thanks all. First revolver I ever bought was a 6.5" 41 Blackhawk back in 1981. I've been through 7 over the years and currently have a 41R Redhawk , 3 Screw 6.5 Blackhawk and a 657 PC Hunter. Ones that I foolishly let get away ( besides all of them) 41 VH8 DWA, that had the best trigger I've felt on any gun and 2 other Redhawks. The carbines are beautiful.

Boolit Bub
    Well it is not the gun, because I tried these loads in another 6" 657 and got the same results. So more work to do with these two boolits to get the most accuracy out of them.....or maybe that is all the operator is capable of nowadays.
    These 10 shot groups were shot from 30 yards off a rest.
    Both loads were 8.1gr Unique, Wolf primers, RP cases, boolits sized .410.

Cartridges in photo are SAECO 220gr on left, Lyman 212gr on right. I forgot to switch them when I switched the targets around for better composition

KO

Boolit Buddy
    Hello folks, since my last post I got some new stocks for my BH and I couldn't believe how much difference they made. I haven't been able to go out and shoot with them yet but they feel tremendously better than the OEM stocks. I also have another question for the more knowledgeable. I'm really thinking hard about getting into bullet casting, when I do it will be on a very tight budget. As much as I would like to get a mould that cast the Keith bullet for the .41 that will have to wait for a while.

I started looking at other moulds and the Lee 195gr SWC caught my attention but I know very little about this bullet. The mould is economical and fits within my budget, and the bullet looks to be a decent one for my needs. For those that use/have used this bullet how did/do you like it? I'm looking for a bullet that will be accurate with 8-8.5gr of Unique and at at full tilt magnum velocities as well. So I was wondering how ell this bullet stacks up against the rest.

Also are there any vendors out there that make this bullet other than Western Bullet? I would like to experiment first with before I 100% commit to it. The reason that I said other than Western Bullet is I have read some bad reviews about them.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Commercially available .41 SPECIAL...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=497090914

Ouch...nearly $2.00 per round for trimmed and down loaded .41 ammo.
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Master

tag for later input
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 336A View Post
    Hello folks, since my last post I got some new stocks for my BH and I couldn't believe how much difference they made. I haven't been able to go out and shoot with them yet but they feel tremendously better than the OEM stocks. I also have another question for the more knowledgeable. I'm really thinking hard about getting into bullet casting, when I do it will be on a very tight budget. As much as I would like to get a mould that cast the Keith bullet for the .41 that will have to wait for a while.

I started looking at other moulds and the Lee 195gr SWC caught my attention but I know very little about this bullet. The mould is economical and fits within my budget, and the bullet looks to be a decent one for my needs. For those that use/have used this bullet how did/do you like it? I'm looking for a bullet that will be accurate with 8-8.5gr of Unique and at at full tilt magnum velocities as well. So I was wondering how ell this bullet stacks up against the rest.

Also are there any vendors out there that make this bullet other than Western Bullet? I would like to experiment first with before I 100% commit to it. The reason that I said other than Western Bullet is I have read some bad reviews about them.
    I shot the Lee 195 years ago using apx 7 or 8 grs of Herco (I'm guessing it has been over 20 years ago) and also used a reduced load of apx 4-5.0 grs of Bullseye. Best I recall it performed satisfactorily as a mild to medium paper punching load. I never used it for max or near max loads preferring the now discontinued Lee 240 or jacketed for the hot loads.

I recall my dilemma same as yours when I first got into casting of trying to keep it on a budget. Very difficult to have one mold to cover all bases from mild to wild. Unfortunately Lee discontinued the lightweight 41 cal plinkers and the number of 41 cal molds available from all mold manufactures is constantly shrinking. My best guess the 195gr Lee is as good as any to get started with. Keep your eyes peeled for old, beat up looking Lee molds at gunshows. Not unusual to find them for 5 bucks or less if you can live with broken, missing and taped handles. Also watch the group buy area of this board. There is usually enough notice and time to start rat holing your nickels and dimes if you see something you want. My very best 41 mold came from a group buy off this board from Miha.

This is the guy I use when I'm unable to cast my own. Matt like most usually doesn't have a good selection of 41's. Try his 225 gr Keith if you want to run them hot. Let him know you will be running them hot and ask him to water drop them. He's slow but does good work at a good price.
    http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...f5b212c94b936b

Exclamation What Ever Happened to the .41 Magnum? (Gun Digest, 2013)

https://books.google.com/books?id=dL...num%22&f=false

What Ever Happened to the .41 Magnum?
    by Frank W. James

page 70 to page 77
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    I shot the Lee 195 years ago using apx 7 or 8 grs of Herco (I'm guessing it has been over 20 years ago) and also used a reduced load of apx 4-5.0 grs of Bullseye. Best I recall it performed satisfactorily as a mild to medium paper punching load. I never used it for max or near max loads preferring the now discontinued Lee 240 or jacketed for the hot loads.

I recall my dilemma same as yours when I first got into casting of trying to keep it on a budget. Very difficult to have one mold to cover all bases from mild to wild. Unfortunately Lee discontinued the lightweight 41 cal plinkers and the number of 41 cal molds available from all mold manufactures is constantly shrinking. My best guess the 195gr Lee is as good as any to get started with. Keep your eyes peeled for old, beat up looking Lee molds at gunshows. Not unusual to find them for 5 bucks or less if you can live with broken, missing and taped handles. Also watch the group buy area of this board. There is usually enough notice and time to start rat holing your nickels and dimes if you see something you want. My very best 41 mold came from a group buy off this board from Miha.

This is the guy I use when I'm unable to cast my own. Matt like most usually doesn't have a good selection of 41's. Try his 225 gr Keith if you want to run them hot. Let him know you will be running them hot and ask him to water drop them. He's slow but does good work at a good price.
    http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...f5b212c94b936b
    Thanks azredneck, since Montana Bullet Works is not making bullets for the time being I had Matt's Bullets in mind for my next batch of Keith bullets. I sure do wish Dry Creek was still in business though, I have some beautiful 230gr Keith bullets from him that he did a special run on a few years back. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before here but I just ran across what looks to be a good factory replacement for the old "Police Load".
    http://thehuntingshack.com/?page_id=86

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks azredneck, since Montana Bullet Works is not making bullets for the time being I had Matt's Bullets in mind for my next batch of Keith bullets. I sure do wish Dry Creek was still in business though, I have some beautiful 230gr Keith bullets from him that he did a special run on a few years back. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before here but I just ran across what looks to be a good factory replacement for the old "Police Load".
    http://thehuntingshack.com/?page_id=86
    Montana bullet works was bought out and should be up and running soon according to their site. Harles Dawson is casting with some of the dry creek molds. And as for molds, Miha had these in stock back in May. Then there is the buy on the NOE forum for a 41 mold.

ronnie

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks TUG, I was unaware that someone purchased MBW until reading your post. Thats great news as I really like the H&G #258 bullets I got from them, I was sad to hear the news the business was up for sale or closing for good. BTW who is Harles Dawson?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks TUG, I was unaware that someone purchased MBW until reading your post. Thats great news as I really like the H&G #258 bullets I got from them, I was sad to hear the news the business was up for sale or closing for good. BTW who is Harles Dawson?
    Sent you a PM
    ronnie

Boolit Master
    another load ...17.5 gr of AA#9 -- Saeco .411 230 gr K wwlpp mv 1324 from 6'' DWA-very accurate

Angry Lyman continues to cleanse .41 magnum ! (41P is no longer available)

I had to order a 32AP plug/stem for an M die. The 31R would have had the second step up too far (old 32-20, .313 boolits). Called up Lyman. Scored on the 32AP, it is still listed for the 32 Colt, I dimly remember. Then a swing and a miss! Uh, can I get a 41P? Crickets... .410 diameter for the .41 Rem Mag? Nope.

Snap. As I was only paying $6 for S&H, I decided to buy a 6 pack of A-Zoom .41 Mag Snap Caps for dry-firing.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Sad to see Lyman dump all their .41 molds... I have a couple that I still cast with....

How about some pics of some boolits that everyone is shooting.

Bob

Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast