Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24243444546474849505152535455565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1219

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Master

RJM:
    6.0 grains of Unique in a .38 Special case runs 980 from a 2" and 1130 from a 4"...great bullet...
    Just guessing here, but I'd say you were using the lower crimping groove on 358156 (effectively get just about .357 internal case volume? That sounds like a great load, mid-level velocity (where I normally hang out), but with plenty of authority to it for a K or N frame Smith or any Ruger SA. What say you, Bob...best regards, Rod
    Rod

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot that bullet in a 38 spl case , crimped in the lower crimp groove over 5.5 grs of IMR 7625 for a real pleasant " shoot all day load that was very accurate so I would imagine that 6 grs of Unique would give same performance with maybe a slight increase in velocity . IMR 7625 is a slightly faster burn powder , according to the charts . But it is a single based powder . Too bad it was discontinued , along with SR 4756 in 2014 . I will have to say that before the " component chaos " I bought numerous lbs of Vectan powder as I read that it is " single based " . I'm really liking it . Vectan 7.5 reminds me of shooting SR 4756 . It's straight across from it on the burn charts . Vectan 6.5 is their " magnum powder " a very " friendly " powder as the recoil impulse is more of a push instead of muzzle flip . Vectan meters well in my LEE Perfect Powder Measure and a bottle is 1.1 lbs instead of just 1.0 . So a slight increase in volume for about the same price , depending on where you shop . Regards Paul

Boolit Master
    ..top crimp groove...standard .38 Special length...

SR-4756...what dream powder...turned Specials into Magnums...

We are beginning to drift again guys. I got nothing against the lowly .38 spcl or 357 but....
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I just tried 6 grs of AA#2 with the NOE 212-238(220HP) and it is fun. Not a guess or a care about the velocity but they work.
    The accuracy is better than I can hold with my 6.5" .FORTY ONE Blackhawk
    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 03-17-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Added some chrono results to my post #1010...see the italicized font for changes.

And thanks, RJM for the clarification on 38 Spl crimping with 358156.

Best Regards, Rod
    Rod

Boolit Master
    Was out yesterday burning up some odds and ends .41 Magnum loads.

One load was some 300 grain boolits that were just a little too big in diameter to fit in my 6" Model 83 but would "just" fit in a 4.75"...and you know it when you touch them off...stand the gun right up in your hand.... They were running 1260 from a 6" gun and were fine to shoot in the longer Mag-N-Ported barrel but with the unported round butt 4.75" it was a whole nother animal.

There was a 12" dead pine tree where I was shooting...the round ran right out the back side...

Boolit Man
    RJ,

Have you got any pictures of those heavy 300's? What make, style, etc?? Been kickin around the ultra heavy's for my own, just to see what they can do. Curious what yours is.

Boolit Master
    ...anyone looking for .41 Magnum or Special brass...Starline just finished a run and is in stock for immediate shipping. Friend of mine just got notice from an backorder he placed two months ago...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    RJ,

Have you got any pictures of those heavy 300's? What make, style, etc?? Been kickin around the ultra heavy's for my own, just to see what they can do. Curious what yours is.
    Will see if I can get a picture for you...

It was a Mountain Mold...who just went out of business.

I picked up the base gun for my 41 Special conversion. Starline brass has been backordered.

Boolit Master
    ...that's going to be a NICE one for sure... When is it being shipped off...new barrel or a rebore...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    I picked up the base gun for my 41 Special conversion. Starline brass has been backordered.

Looks good to me. Standing by for pics...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

NNNOOOOOO!!!!!!! Not a Flattop!! I bet it will be great!

I haven't talked to any gunsmiths yet... have been considering Andy Horvath for his Lil' Gun conversion, Jack Huntington, Dave Clements or Bobby Tyler.

I also haven't made up my mind whether I want to keep the Ruger barrel and go with a rebore to .41 or use the 6" S&W model 57 take-off barrel I picked up awhile back.

I ordered several Bisley hammers from Ronnie Wells but not sure when those will be available.

Going with a reblue and refinishing of the round butt gripframe, I'm pretty sure I want to get new grips made from the resin ivory you get here:

https://guitarpartsandmore.com/produ...rip-Panels-118

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    NNNOOOOOO!!!!!!! Not a Flattop!! I bet it will be great!
    Believe me, if this flat top was complete I wouldn't be sending it in to be converted.... serial #17xx puts it at early 1956 production. But it comes to me with no cylinder, ejector rod or ejector rod housing. A parts gun that is pretty complete and perfect for a 41 Spl conversion, at least in my mind.

I bought it from a guy who was considering fitting an OM 9mm cylinder to have a 9mm flat top... that was 4-5 years ago, so now I get a shot at it.

Boolit Master
    ...you got a lot of figuring to do...but it's going to be great when done....

I like that ivory...wonder what a smith would charge to fit a set to a gun...

I've thought about the same basic project but having the FA 97 4.25" round butt and a 5.5" square butt just could not justify it...they are already the perfect .41 Special...that and I have the USFA Flat Top Target and Uberti Cattlemen too...

I love your 41 Spl USFA and Uberti revolvers.

I picked up the 57 take-off barrel for the 41 Spl, but the flat top is such a sleek, svelte design and that fat, ribbed 57 barrel may look out of place in my mind.

I had a FA 97 w/4.25" barrel. It didn't really click with me... maybe a 97 with one of the RW gripframes would make a difference for me.

I have the resin ivory S-grade in the small and the large size flats/blocks for a regular plow handle grip, and a full size Bisley. It says in the description that the small size works with "Viquero-Bisley" but the outline drawing they show looks like a regular XR3-RED pretty much takes up the whole block.

Boolit Master
    Thanks...they are sweet shooters...

For whatever reason I like the 97 gripframe best of all...I think it is the "fatness" of the grips.

Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24243444546474849505152535455565758596061 LastLast