MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 444454647484950515253545556575859606162 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1228

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Master
    VERY nice Buck...and I like that it is tapered...how about a picture of the whole carbine...

One of the last barrels that the TCCA made was a 16.5" .41 Magnum or .414 SuperMag barrel. I opted for the .41 Magnum as if I need that much more power from a .41 I'll use a .405 Winchester...

Great shooting little gun....

Bob

Here is the whole carbine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41mag contender.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	291790
    Years ago I trimmed down the
    forend to a classic look.

Boolit Master
    VERY nice...

My two barrels, the .41 16.5" and a TC Custom Shop 18" .22 LR, are both bull barrels. Can't complain as they do balance nicely...

Boolit Man
    I am hesitant to post this, since I was not able to use my 210 powder coated cast bullets. I was having a little trouble with bullet jump and need to go back to the bench and set my crimp die better. Anyway I took a couple of does last week early with my 41 sp. The gun started life as an old 3 screw 357. I had a smith install a heavy barrel and open up the cylinder. works great. I did not have any front sight placed on it since I knew I wanted to use a red dot. This gun was for hunting.... I had sighted in for the Barnes 180gr. I used the old book of mine and loaded it with 17grs of enforcer. The book says 1500fps but it states with a 10" barrel. MY barrel is 5.5 and math tells me that I am probably doing 1300 to 1350fps. My new Douglas barrel is fast. I had loaded some of the Sierras 170gr to 1600fps with VT N105 that powder i not for everything but with the 41sp it gives higher velocities an less pressure. Why are you kidding me?? Of course I tried our old favorites of Unique and H110 and 2400. Unique worked wonders with the cast. I had to go with what I had and go hunting when I had the chance.
    I set up at a friends small ranch, and shortly here comes a doe. when she turned broadside, I went for the double shoulder shot. I KNEW that the 210 cast was POI higher than the Barnes. Dang if I did not allow enough for that. I shot over her. She turned and was facing me slightly turned to my right. I rotated the cylinder to get a Barnes in there and spined her with my second shot. bang flop.
    Knowing that deer use the trail she was on, I got out of the tree stand and drug her towards my stand. This way, something else would not be alarmed. As I was on the top rung, the feeder went off. I barely got seated and saw another doe trotting towards the feeder. Put my ear muffs back on and waited. Well she took 5 or so minutes eating on the far side of the feeder. No shot. Then finally she comes around to expose herself to me. she turned and was facing to my left (opposite than the last doe ) and when she lowered her head to clear for me a spine shot I took it. Another bang flop. The bullet exited since she was facing more to my left making it almost a 45 degree angle. That's 2 in a row shot offhand.
    I did recover the Barnes from the first doe. It had opened up like a fan blade and the necks on both of the deer where destroyed. I may not get a chance to sight in the cast but I am still going to get them crimped better and chase something. I now have a much better idea about the elevation even if I don't get it sighted. I hope to get out towards the end of the week.
    41Sp will work just fine with the right loads such as bullet and powder combo's. I KNOW FOR SURE the 210 cast HP will perform well for me.

Boolit Master
    Great story, great shooting and great performance.....

Boolit Buddy

Darn I am happy someone brought this post up again! As a new member I havn't gotten though the score of pages available here/ Sometimes thought I was the only person that liked the lowly 41 Mag. Had a T/C, a S&W 58 but still have a pair of Blackhawks GW

Boolit Master
    ...welcome aboard!!!

What Blackhawks do you have and what do you shoot out of them...

Boolit Man
    Got my adjustment made on the 210 cast and I am ready to hunt again. stay tuned.

Boolit Buddy

My Rugers are 30 years old and seem very happy with 8.5 gr Unique under 210 SWC GW

Boolit Master
    ...what barrel lengths?

Boolit Man
    I will try to post these pics. Unfortunately I had to take a Pic of a Pic off my phone. couldn't download from phone.
    [URL=https://www.imagevenue.com/ME1482YS]both deer maybe you can zoom to see entry on bottom deer. Bullet did not exit and was recovered.
    [URL=https://www.imagevenue.com/ME1482Y2] exit wound on second deer
    [URL=https://www.imagevenue.com/ME1482XZ] entry on second deer

Boolit Master

Not showing for me

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    ...no, me either.

Boolit Man
    let's try this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME1482YS_o.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	293503 both deer 1st was at bottom of photo

Name:	ME1482XZ_b.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	293506 entry on second deer

Name:	ME1482Y2_o.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	293505 exit wound on 2nd deer.
    going after another one tomorrow.....
    Will be using the 210 HP cast that has been powder coated

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    ...what barrel lengths?
    4 5/8 and 6 1/2 GW

Boolit Master
    ..I have the same pair...made in the late 70s I believe...

There is a REAL nice 6.5" BH on GunBroker right now. It is a 1974/5 with the pre-warning rollmarks, stainless Super Blackhawk gripframe and SBH hammer... If I didn't like my 6.5 so much I'd sell it and buy this one...

Boolit Master
    CT...those are some fine eaten deer you got there...hope you get one with the cast boolit...

Boolit Man
    Ok I finally happened. Finally got to get back in the field and Finally got a deer with the 41sp shooting a cast bullet. It got dark on me quick and unfortunately 99% of the pics with my camera did not turn out. I was having problems with the flash. All 100% of the pics with my phone were near black. I caught a doe standing broadside and did my usual double shoulder shot. Wondered why she just walked a ways,,, I knew she had been hit. Later trying to do a necropsy, I never found the bullet, as it did not exit. Getting back to the shot situation, I knew I did not want a tracking job in the dark and knew of the possibility, of her crossing the fence, that was a couple hundred yds. away. So, I decided to spine or do a head or neck shot. She was turned toward me a little and so the spine shot took the nod. In the one and only pic that turned out, you will see the exit wound. It came out the stomach on the opposite side. Of course she dropped right there. and I could and did now, relax. I would still like to find that bullet that did not exit. But a 3 hour drive at these gas prices is quite a deterrent. Who knows a coyote might eat it and it give it lead poison. LOL it would in California I'm pretty sure. Or just cancer?
    The bullet is a 210 cast HP that was powder coated. The load of W231 seemed to be the most accurate, so that is what I went with. FYI: I do like using 4227 also.
    I am one of those people that nearly has to know ALL the results, and answers. I am still want to know what the results were with that first shot. I will take another pic (NOW in the daylight of the shoulder. ) you are going to see the hole, were it entered. The shoulder was not as bloodshot as with a J-bullet. But I am wondering if it expanded or what? Looking at the vitals last night it appeared that none were hit. She did not jump like most animals do with a shoulder shot. Hmmmm. Just don't know, and I will say that one deer will not be the determining factor. Each animal reacts differently. Just glad things came together, even if I had to go about the round about way.
    Last edited by cherokeetracker; 01-05-2022 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added info

Boolit Man
    Edit to add: The exit wound is about the size of a Nickle, not quite as big as a quarter. So knowing the bullet hit bone, I still think it expanded some to create this wound channel and exit size.

Boolit Master
    ...great story...

How much 231 did you use...

Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 444454647484950515253545556575859606162 LastLast