Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: In need of paper patched 38-55 for Model 94

In need of paper patched 38-55 for Model 94

I just picked up a Model 94 Legacy and want to try some paper patched boolits before I bite the boolit and buy a sizer to seat the paper. I got away from casting about 10 years ago and have no equipment at all left from my casting days. Buffalo Arms sells swaged lead 245 gr fp boolits for patching but I have no way of seating the patch. The bore is .377 near as I can tell. I was wondering if I paid up front for somebody to buy the boolits from Buffalo Arms and then paid to install the patch if one of you experienced patchers could fix me up or if somebody has a suitable boolit in the 245-265 gr range with a flat point I could buy 50 or so. I want to hunt hogs and deer with this rifle so want to shoot at 1800 fps. Thanks for any help in finding some patched boolits. Tom

Boolit Buddy
    I am not sure what you mean by not having a way to seat the patch. Get some suitable paper and wrap the Buffalo Arms bullets. They should come out near perfect for your rifle, probably without a need for final sizing.

Practice makes perfect.

In watching a video on paper patching they ran the dried bullet through a sizer die. Is this not necessary? Dumb but happy Tom

Boolit Buddy
    If the unsized patched bullet will fit into a fired, unsized casing with just a bit of resistance, you should be good to go. The size of the bullet should fit the throat of the barrel and you very well might not have to do a final sizing. You can also play with different paper thicknesses to eliminate the need for final sizing. Matching the patched bullet to your rifle will take some experimenting and you will just need to to take the plunge and start trying things. There is lots of good advice available here and now that we have a better idea of what you are trying to do, I am sure others will pitch in with further advice.

I have nothing but time so I think I will order a box and a template and give it a whirl. I had Mathews book but can't seem to find it after being away from casting for several years. I am trying to get 1800 fps out of a soft lead boolit for my Model 94 to hunt with. I am waiting for my rear sight to get back from Marble as it had so much play it was useless to try to work up a load. Keep the thoughts coming and many thanks. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bulseyetom View Post
    In watching a video on paper patching they ran the dried bullet through a sizer die. Is this not necessary? Dumb but happy Tom
    Size your patched boolits to .001-002" over groove diameter as you would a cast boolit. You may also like to grease your patched boolits. A luber/sizer can be utilized.

Here is some helpful reading:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-works-for-me
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...paper-patching

I hope this helps,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.