Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Replacing a leather knife handle

Boolit Buddy

Replacing a leather knife handle

I don't know if this belongs here or in the Special Projects section. Do we have any members who have replaced a leather handle on a knife. I just picked up a PAL RH 36 on Evilbay for about $15 and I'm waiting on delivery. From the pictures the blade looks to be in good shape for its age. The pummel and hilt are still on the handle, but the leather handle has rotted away. There is some pitting on the tang where it was covered with the leather. What I need to know is a source for the leather disks and a little guidance on the assembly and shaping of the new handle.

Boolit Master
    I don't have experience with your specific model knife, however it's a fairly common knife handle style. Somebody may know a shortcut, but I'm going to be honest with you the only way I know of to do it right is to remove the pommel of the knife and stack the leather disks. On a PAL RH 36 there should be a pin holding the pommel on. Once this is removed you start adding the disks. I always found that keeping the disks stacked in the same direction worked best for me. IE Smooth side touches grain side if using something like heavy saddle skirting, which is what I have used. You will need to clamp the blade in a vise for the last few because you want them under compression when you put the pommel back on the tang. Before you reattach the pommel make certain you have compressed them a few times and you are going to have enough so that it is good and tight. I have seen various treatments done to the leather at this point but honestly a good hide glue put onto each side of each disk worked best for me. It is important to get the pommel on and re-pinned BEFORE the hide glue dries. Once they are on and dry they can be sanded into shape. I have seen others use files, rasps, and even grinders for coarse material removal, but you can EASILY remove too much and have to start all over. I don't know of a current source for the leather disks/washers, but check out this youtube video on how to make your own.

Oh and don't forget you can add other "spacer" materials to your stacks to make the a customized look for your knife.

Good luck, post pics when you can!

Thanks

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    I replaced the fake stag handle on a knife I had found, using leather disks. I seem to recall purchasing the leather at a local Tandy's store that closed a long time ago. I basically did what GoodOlBoy described. The only difference was that the knife had no pommel, and I had to make one, and a special nut to fasten everything together.

Search " Round Stacked Leather Fixed Blade Knife Handle Repair Discs Washers " Several sources

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the information gentlemen.

After a little searching I ended up using usaknifemaker.com. I was able to pick up the leather discs and some colored spacers. When I get everything together I'll post some pics.