Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: AR Carry Handle Question

Boolit Buddy

AR Carry Handle Question

I was trolling the bargain bin at one of the gun shops on my way to work the other day and found a Cardinal Forge marked carry handle for $25.

Needless to say, it came home with me. Then it dawned on me, is it commercial or mil spec height? Well, with the elevation knob in the default position, it looks like it's commercial spec.

The odd part is I can get two full revolutions out of the elevation knob. Does that mean it can be used with rifles that have either flavor of front sight post height? After one full revolution, it looks about .040" higher.

I've been too busy to try to zero it. There needs to be an extra day in between Saturday and Sunday.

Why can't everything be standard across the board on AR rifles? I can understand some minor dimensional changes inside the receiver to prevent illegal full auto conversions. Making two different specifications for stuff as trivial as sights and butt stocks? Give me a break.

In Remembrance

Will most likely work with either the commercial or mil spec front sight. I bought one and so did a buddy and we have different front sights. The handle zeroed just fine with both. Hope this helps.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

I didn't realize there was a commercial/mil spec variation in the rear. Or differences in the front post as it is adjustable.

i do know the rear mil spec (and most common) flip aperture peep holes are not in the same plane or height when you flip them. It isn't just to flip back and forth to a smaller hole. It also relates to the higher yardage and trajectories.
    you can buy "same plane" apertures that are the same hole height if you just want to switch peep hole size without changing zero. Some like that for day/night shooting or rapid close combat.
    Last edited by cheese1566; 04-13-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    Not all detachable carry handles are created equal. Some are taller than others. Also, a barrel intended for installation on a flattop upper will have an 'F' marked front sight tower, which is .040" taller than a standard front sight tower. You can compensate by using an extra-tall front sight post if needed. I used to know which carry handles were taller than others, but I've lost my notes on the subject. IIRC, Armalite and Bushmaster uppers needed to be used with their proprietary carry handles, but I'm old and have CRS.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.