RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Lee Classic Cast Turret Press Primer Feed Fail

Boolit Man

Lee Classic Cast Turret Press Primer Feed Fail

I can't get the primer feed to work with or without the advertised "satisfying clicK".

Can anybody give pointers how they get theirs to work?

I either get no feed or the primer falls off the cup when I pull the arm back.

Boolit Mold
    Make sure you're using all the correct parts. You know, the large primer feeder with the large primer inserter, etc. Sometimes the safety primer needs to be shimmed up. I hope this helps.

Boolit Master

I have used that press for a few years now and really like it. Like a lot of Lee products (which I use and like) need some tweaking to run good. If you have followed the instructions perfectly, you probably need to start making small adjustments tighten things up and try then repeat until it works. Also realize depending on how you press the primer arm to the primer cup you could be twisting the primer arm. Patience is the key.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If a person has never set up reloading equipment in the past or has a good feel with hand tools then you will encounter problems with the Lee primer set up.
    A lot comes from the piece that attaches to the press that holds the primer holder and dispenser. It has only one way to set it before you tighten it down to the press. If you position it wrong then the dispenser will not be in the correct position to put the primer in the cup.
    I have found that if you raise the ram as far to the top as possible then start lowering it very slowly while pushing the dispenser to the cup, you will find the correct position to release the primer. If you try to put it in the cup at the full up position, it will drop to the floor more times than it stays in the cup.
    It's very simple when you do this slow so that you can see that exact moment that it all lines up. Once you have found the sweet spot, you may then speed up your operation. Good Priming David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Its just finding out where it needs to be. I hated the Safety Prime! Now its one of my most reliable priming systems.
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I use the ball of my thumb pressing hard (hard, straight and sharp) and let the press operation move the priming assembly out of the way. Shimming and adjusting the angle of the priming arm may be required.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

If you have the primer set in a straight line to the priming cup on the ram (as in the instructions) more often than not the problem lies in height.....if you find you have to lower the ram a bit to get a primer to feed into the "cup" then all you have to do is place a washer UNDER the attaching point (I don't remember what the arm is called)...If I recall correctly (been a long while since I had one) the instructions say to place the silver washer on the bottom and the black washer on top.....try placing both on the bottom of the attaching arm.....see if that will help....the one I had worked quite well....

Boolit Master
    I either get no feed or the primer falls off the cup when I pull the arm back.
    Let the down stroke of the ram take care of realeasing(?) the the primer arm / cup. One issue I had with mine was shirt sleeve bumping / drawin the primer tray and a few times dislodged the whole assembly hich fell to the floor. I used my propane torch a vice and a heavy soft hammer and increased the offset bend and now no more issues.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

I've been using that press for years, and I hate that primer thing. Took it off right away, boxed it up, haven't touched it since. Useless plastic trash to me.

IMO, there's much better ways to prime my brass. I prefer to batch prime anyway, not prime cases as I'm loading them. If I don't use a hand primer, then I just use the priming arm in the press. Put in a primer, stuff it in the case, repeat until I have a bucketful.

These are all primed and ready to load, whenever I get around to it.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    There's them that can get it adjusted and them that can't. Blaming it on the mechanism for one's failure to get the primer system adjusted is limiting oneself. Takes patience, but once adjusted, it's worth it. Not that hard to do. The posts above have given all the information on how to adjust it.

I had that exact same problem and it was terribly frustrating. I did find out what the problem was and found the cure.
    I took the mechanism that does the placing of the primer apart. It is actually quite simple and straight forward.
    There is a bar inside with a notch in it that fits the primer and moves it to the priming seater/cup.
    In my case there was a little bit of excess flashing on the seam inside the notch leftover from the molding process. I took my sharp knife(you could use an exacto if you have one) and carefully cleaned out the excess flash so the primer drops into the notch cleanly and no longer binds against the inside of the mechanism. That binding will cause the primer to lift out of the cup when you release thumb pressure on the button instead of letting the primer fall into the cup cleanly.
    I now get the "satisfying click" and very seldom get a dropped primer.
    I hope this helps.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't care about the click. I do care about setting the primer in the cup. The Safety Prime drove me nuts for a few months. Had it boxed up and ready to sell to the "next sucker" a few times. But I stuck w/ it and wouldn't be w/out it now.

What I found is that the arm has be aligned properly. There is some side to side play so it doesn't have to be exact. I tried every size washer to shim it up to no avail. Now after sizing I bring the ram down slightly and then set the primer. The magic touch for me was literally the touch. When operating it w/ my thumb it would still hang up every now and then. I found that if I use my index finger and push only the top part it sets a primer every time. Trying to explain feel is tough and all I can say is once you do it you will know what I'm talking about.

I would have been the "sucker" had I gotten rid of the safety prime. The only real flaw mine has it that it won't feed the last two or three primers. But w/ no column weight on them I understand why. I just set the last few in the cup by hand. The safety prime work extremely well once you get it set up properly for you.

Boolit Buddy
    My experience was the same as tazman. I had to debur the excess flashing from the molding process. I used fingernail clippers and an emery board to clean things up. Works good now.

Boolit Master
    Happen to find a very nice upgrade for the Lee Classic Turret.

http://inlinefabrication.com/collect...verse-rotation

It really does increase the output .
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 05-20-2015 at 12:25 PM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Case Stuffer View Post
    Happen to find a very nice upgrade for the Lee Classic Turret.

http://inlinefabrication.com/collect...verse-rotation

It really does increase the output .
    I use the reverse rotation kit as well. 200 to 250 an hour with setup time and re-filling the primer tray Is very doable.