Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updates from people PC'ing Desert Eagle 50ae

Updates from people PC'ing Desert Eagle 50ae

My powder coating 45acp and 7.62x39 has been a success for almost 2 years now. I'm considering trying to PC 50ae for a Desert Eagle. I know Ebnerglocken has been doing it, not sure about others. Does anyone have some long term test results and load recipes they'd like to share?

Boolit Bub
    Interested as well. What mold are you all using?

Boolit Master
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/246...ProductFinding

Use your barrel for a chamber gauge, just going off of OAL will leave you with a round sticking in the chamber. The powder coating leaves material on the ogive of the bullet that will stick unless you seat deeper than a non coated bullet. I've had good luck with ww296 and HF red mixed with a little white leaving me with a nice barbie pink slug. Start low as you're seated deep and work your way up to good function and accuracy. I can't see any reason you can't shoot cast in a DE as long as you're aware to keep naked lead off of it.

Ebner

Boolit Buddy
    I've used it in a DE in .440 Cor-Bon ( 50 AE necked down to .44 ). 240 gr. lyman. Haven't seen any issue yet with HF PC.

Wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Man

Previously known as the Constitution state
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
    I've used it in a DE in .440 Cor-Bon ( 50 AE necked down to .44 ). 240 gr. lyman. Haven't seen any issue yet with HF PC.

Wp
    Interesting, that has me thinking about a P/C Lee C430-310-RF in my DE .44, had not even thought of it till this thread.

Thoughts ?

I use a mold from Accurate Molds. Its the 502325g I believe.Been using john deere green pc and use H110.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm looking for a good bullet for powder coat for my DE XIX 44 Mag - Right now only mold I have is the LEE 6 cav 240gr RN. I'm thinking a 240 SWC might be a much better choice.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks ebner. I'll look at getting one of those molds!!!

Ebner, do you worry about pc'ing the base of the bullet? I see on the DE forum people theorize vaporized lead from the base is the cause of clogged gas ports.

Vendor Sponsor

If I can jump in here.. Yes PC the base and you will have no issues with plugged gas ports from lead
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by ProfGAB101 View Post
    I'm looking for a good bullet for powder coat for my DE XIX 44 Mag - Right now only mold I have is the LEE 6 cav 240gr RN. I'm thinking a 240 SWC might be a much better choice.
    Have you tried the round-nose 240gr RN PC'd yet, that was going to be my first choice, sort of a .44mag FMJ .

As far as lead in the gas ports, I think that has more to do with lead shaving off on/in the gas port,
    Vaporized lead ? how many time have we seen factory FMJ's with the lead base exposed, sort of blows the vaporized lead theory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40165grcoppercoatsBULLETSsmall-150x150.jpg 
Views:	950 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	137646

Softening of the perimeter of the base due lack of proper bullet to bore sealing, flame cutting, would likely cause gas port lead shaving to be more extreme, therefore the need for gas checks to remedy the issue.
    Gets back to proper sizing, lubing, pc-ing and such.
    Last edited by CT-shooter777; 04-23-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    If I can jump in here.. Yes PC the base and you will have no issues with plugged gas ports from lead
    Pc-ing the base may act like a temporary gas check. a bullet proof vest so to speak.

Boolit Master
    Before I started bb tumbling bullets to PC I was using the harbor freight ESPC gun and did not coat the bases. This created no problem in clogging the gas port, all fouling that I had cleaned had been carbon. If there was any lead there it was in trace amounts and with any routine cleaning this shouldn't be a problem. If you're shooting enough between cleanings for this to be an issue IMHO you're not cleaning your gun often enough.

Obviously since I'm bb tumbling now lead issues are no issue at all but it wasn't for any other reason than tumbling is much easier and quicker. At the end of the day I'm not buying into the theory of lead "burning" off at the base, becoming vaporized, and somehow condensing in your gas port, in fact I find it a bit hard to consume. There is not enough heat there for enough duration to do this in my opinion. From my experience lead fouling comes from the bearing surface of a bullet, not the base. The bearing surface should be totally covered from whatever process you're using if done correctly. I'm curious to hear opposing views.

Ebner

Boolit Bub
    Hello all. New guy to this forum trying to learn more. Looks like a great forum with a ton of info.

Have a DE in .50 AE and want to shoot cast, but are you guys always resizing after powder coating or not? I've seen some guys mention doing that.

Jon

Boolit Master

You usually need to resize after powder because you gain a couple thousandths. However ,most of us do not size before powder. Suppisingly the powder coat is so tough that you can size several thousanths without damaging the coating, and it even serves as lube for push through sizing.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Bub
    So, just to be clear, as an ignorant new guy trying to wrap my head around all of this, you should NOT take a commercially made hard cast bullet, powder coat it, and shoot it, as it would be over dimension, likely causing a dangerous over-pressure condition, correct? You wouldn't do this because you couldn't resize a commercially made cast bullet down to the correct dimension once powder coated, without proper dies.

Boolit Master

Sure you can resize a commercial bullet after coating (or any other time for that matter) and yes, if you take a .452 bullet, powder coat it to .455 and stoke up a max pressure load for a gun with a .451 barrel, you might cause a dangerous pressure spike.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Bub
    So with the polygonal rifling in a DE in .50AE, I guess the question would be how to determine what to resize to and (sorry to be bother) I could use some help figuring out what resizing die would be a good choice. I'm looking at using the Cast Performance 370g WFNGC bullet: http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/inde...&ref=CP500370A and hope to push it to 1300-1350+ with a stout charge of H110. I'm getting nearly 1575fps from a 300g XTP with H110 and would like to alternate these bullets/loads in the magazine for when in bear country.

Edit: Is this what I need? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411...t-501-diameter
    Last edited by jmden; 10-10-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Have also considered using the 350g Beartooth Bullet they say is good in the DE, but is doesn't have a gas check. But maybe that's not an issue if I PC...

Quote Originally Posted by jmden View Post
    Hello all. New guy to this forum trying to learn more. Looks like a great forum with a ton of info.

Have a DE in .50 AE and want to shoot cast, but are you guys always resizing after powder coating or not? I've seen some guys mention doing that.

Jon
    I resize after PC'ing regardless of the caliber. Don't know if it's always needed.