RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W 25-13 45 Colt

Boolit Mold
    I must be old, I reload for my S&W 25-5 6" barrel, ( still have the original box and wax wrapping paper, warranty forms ). My 1977 Hornady Handbook/ manual page 363 shows a max load of 8.8 grs Unique for a 250gr hollow point. No cast bullets listed in that manual for the 45LC., at that time. A load that I used "1984 vintage " was Lyman #454424 255gr SWC with 10.0 grs Unique. This load was from an article Loads for the 45 Colt by John Wooters, 1984 G&A Handgun Annual page 45. ( I still have the magazine ). I have used the same Lyman #454424 with 18.5 grs of 2400 , and old Elmer Keith load, with no problems, and the Oregon Trail 255 gr SWC keith style boolit. 17 grs of 2400 gave about 850fps with the old Speer 250gr SWC. Last my more modern Lyman 47th Edition Handbook page 455, shows # 454424 255gr SWC and 10.2 grs of Unique for 1162 fps ( out of a 10" Thompson contender barrel ). My more modern civil liability manuals ( 2 ) show lower, safe loads for Unique Powder and separate loads levels for the 25.5 6" barrel, Contender 10" barrel and Ruger Blackhawk and original Ruger Vaquero. Don't tell anyone but I've used 18.5 grs 2400 in my original Vaquero and love it. Unique gives great accuracy with moderate loads.

Well, it came home today. Sorry no pics yet, my Grandsons are staying the night and they wanted to play with Pa.

An update to the thread. I took pics with my phone but it won't connect to my PC. It will charge but not show up as a drive. I'll see if I can get my wife's Iphone and try it again. I've got a caliber conversion coming from Dillon, and 200 Starline brass from JeffHolt (The MO should be there to you tomorrow, Jeff). I got a Saeco 250 Grain SWC 4 cav mold from Monge (which drops some very nice bullets), and a Desantis holster from Midway (which fits it like a glove and looks very nice also). I haven't gotten to shoot it yet and that is getting to me. I'm hoping to shoot it tomorrow and to load up some hand loads next week.

Boolit Master

One trick we have used on these type of phones is to email yourself the picture and then save it to your computer
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Been looking for a mountain gun for years, but alas, none around here... Glad you got yours.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

One trick we have used on these type of phones is to email yourself the picture and then save it to your computer
    Mike
    That's a good idea, I'll try that. Thanks for the tip, mike.

Been looking for a mountain gun for years, but alas, none around here... Glad you got yours.
    Snow, I happened onto this one, I went to my LGS looking for some 22 Mags for my FIL and saw it in the case. I fell in love with a 25-5 (I believe it was) about 35 years ago after I saw one at the local Montgomery Wards. It was a 6" and the bluing went on forever. This one is just as pretty (even with a lock)
    Last edited by RKJ; 05-08-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: quotation marks

In my 625 Mountain gun I did need to install a longer firing pin. I was getting light strikes in DA on CCI primers. Think I went with the Cylinder and Slide pin. My 627 was the same way. The MIM parts and the lock (easily removable) don't bother me but buying an expensive gun and having it not go bang every time was too much.
    -Jesse

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123