Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Another 1050 vs 650 thread

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    actually, with a little bit of modifications to the press, you can load up to 308 length ammo with the 1050.
    You are thinking about the no longer made RL 1050, the super 1050 will load 30-06 out of the box. Unless you do a rotary conversion that puts it pretty much back to RL stroke.

[quote]But it's like 1500$ more than a 650 here... jesus. It makes absolutely no logic.[/img]

If it's not for you, then just don't get one. I have seen folks blow $1500 or more gambling or other, to me, illogical things but I load on really nice equipment. They probably think it is foolish to spend that kind of money on a press and would rather spend the money on a few days of fun in Cancun. If everyone is happy then no one is "wrong"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    If it's not for you, then just don't get one. I have seen folks blow $1500 or more gambling or other, to me, illogical things but I load on really nice equipment. They probably think it is foolish to spend that kind of money on a press and would rather spend the money on a few days of fun in Cancun. If everyone is happy then no one is "wrong"
    I don't gamble, but my wife makes me spend all my money on furniture and baby items... and I bought a grand cherokee.. Oh well....
    Last edited by kryogen; 04-10-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Kryogen: on Money,,, Your money , Her money, and Our money. Do your best to keep them separate and you'll be much happier.

You have to be fair, but you also have to shut down destructive "Score Keeping" as it will end up with you paying alimony. #1 cause of Divorce is Money Problems.

Also never sell your dreams to pay for everyday expenses,,, figure out another way. If you do,,, you will find you have no dreams left and the diapers you bought are all FOS!

Seen it a thousand times.

A friend once had a really cool Jeep TJ with a Cummins Diesel in it. His wife actually liked driving it to and from work,,, they lived in Alberta so the vehicle was well suited to winter use.

After the second kid they had a bunch of Doctor Bills that she was uncomfortable with, so she made him sell the Jeep. He got $9500 off Ebay on a Jeep that was easily worth $25K, but she wanted a quick sale to pay off the bills.

$9500 didn't cover the bills so then he didn't have the Jeep and still had the bills. She left 2 months later and now he has a $1000 an month child support payment and the bills. Since she took the other car, he didn't have any way to get to work and lost his job.

He sold his dream to pay for "someone else's perceived comfort." He ended up with nothing but heartache.

He told me he could always build another one, and I told him he never would. After 10 years he hasn't built anything and only works to support her.

Never sell your dreams to pay bills. Find another way.

If she leaves, you will still at least have your dreams.

My .02 on Dreams, Toys, Money and Divorce.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-10-2015 at 05:14 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    My question is, is it really "more fun" or "better" to reload on the 1050 vs the 650? Whats so much better on it?

Please define what is better, clearly. Other than the swager and prime on the downstroke.
    Why is it worth 1500$ more.

One way I could save on a 1050 is by getting just one toolhead, never changing it but switching dies with rcbs lockrings.....
    I'll just be reloading 9mm and some 223 anyway, both small primer, would just need the caliber conversion kit.
    And I could just get an extra powder bar to be able to keep the same powder measure, and another powder die so I don't have to adjust it to switch.

Anyone does it?

Which extra parts do you need to switch calibers?

Powder bar, powder die, caliber conversion kit, that's all? Then use rcbs lock dies?
    So when you change from 223 to 9mm, just need to adjust swage rod and primer depth, then thats it?

I would rather get the 1050 to never regret it, but I don't want to go over the top with expenses....

Boolit Buddy
    Mr Buchanan. If she left two weeks later she was just being vindictive and had already made the decision. Also lack of vehicle in no reason to lose a good job. Get an apartment or rent a room near work. I know several drunks that have kept their job.

Also after driving jeep wranglers for many years in indiana they are really lousy winter vehicles and a diesel would make it worse. They are great for 12" of unplowed snow with 4wd but on roads that are mostly clear you can't engage 4wd or you will tear up your transfer case. So your tooling along and the short wheel base swaps ends so easy on blacks ice or a patch of packed wind blown snow. More weight in the front exaggerates this lack of stabability and make sub zero starts much more exciting like winning the lottery. But as long as you don't hit that telephone pole you have 4wd to get out of the ditch as that fwd minivan passes you like nothing's wrong with the road.

Boolit Master
    kryogen, where are you getting the $1500.00 price difference from? The Shooting Edge in Calgary has the best Dillon prices I have seen in Canada.

Firebrick: your experience and mine on Jeeps is two completely different things. A 4BT in a TJ is a well established conversion. It makes the Jeep into a tractor.

This Jeep had 35" Swampers on it and lockers in both axles, and driving it in snow is like driving a snowmobile. Driving on anything but clean paved roads in 4wd there is plenty of slippage to not hurt a transfer case. You don't engage the lockers as that will make it testy to keep going in your proposed direction, but you need two wheels pulling to keep you going strait.

He grew up and lived in Alberta and he knew how to cope with winter driving.

As far as his wife goes,,, Well,,, no money will make lots of women into bad things. it was two months not two weeks.

As far as not holding a job because of no vehicle, I didn't say it was an excuse, I merely stated what happened. The guy was not the brightest bulb in the box and me and several others warned him well in advance of what was coming and he still let it happen.

The overall jist of the post was to warn younger guys not to give up their toys to buy everyday stuff that ends up in the trash or the toilet. You can always find another way. Giving up your dreams never works.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Kryogen: The 1050 is a "Commercial Quality Machine." It is designed for continuous use for producing commercial quantities of ammunition.

That is why there is only a 1 year warrantee on the machine. You will never wear one out doing what you are going to do.

The Frame is Cast Iron instead of Cast Aluminum. It is just a heavier duty piece of machinery.

Either one of these machines will serve you well, and you'd be happy with either one.

Don't think to deep into the "Future Regret Syndrome." If you were dissatisfied with either machine you can resell and get 95-99% of your money back on either one. Dillon's Resale value is second to none and Resale Value is a prudent consideration when buying machinery of any kind as someday you will want to sell it.

May be a while, but it will happen.

Randy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    kryogen, where are you getting the $1500.00 price difference from? The Shooting Edge in Calgary has the best Dillon prices I have seen in Canada.
    ooh they are much less espensive than murray gardner, I'll ask them. But they seem to be out of stock on everything.

Ok, from dillon, the 1050 is 1739 and the full load 650 (casefeed, dies, strongmount, roller handle) is 944

That's still 795$ more for the 1050, and caliber changes are a pain and/or are twice as expensive.

You know what, at this point, I don't know what I want.
    If I went with the 1050, I would probably just get the 223 conversion kit, and use hornady lockrings to be able to install and remove dies without re-adjusting. I would keep the same toolhead and powder measure to save money. I would just get another powder die and powder bar I guess, so I don't have to deal with changing it.

What is your point of view on this?

Would you prefer a 1050 and to switch dies (lockring, once a year at most anyway for a 223 batch), the rest of the year would only be 9mm.
    Or, a 650 with separate toolheads, dies stay on the toolhead. At that price I would get the quick change kit anyway, for 223.

I reload range brass so 223 might be crimped, same for 9. With the 650 it would jam, I would have to remove case, swage, then re-install case. Most of my 223 brass is already swaged, but still a pain I guess? Mixed headstamp though, would it be an issue on the 1050?

I could just sell a gun to pay for the difference, I have probably 3k worth of pistols that I'll never shoot again... Maybe I should get the reloader that I want and get rid of the pistol hoarding...
    Last edited by kryogen; 04-11-2015 at 10:15 PM.

So when you change from 223 to 9mm, just need to adjust swage rod and primer depth, then thats it?
    If you run two tool heads, you need to swap the tool head, held inplace by one bolt and swap the shell plate held in place by one collar (with four button head socket head cap screws on Delrin, serve as a Locking device. Then the case feed plate and case feed adapter.

FWIW I don't convert a 1050 or 650 to another caliber for 1000 rounds but I also have a bunch of Dillons from SD's all the way to 1050's. There is no "best" just "better". The difference between the two are what you are going to do and how you want to do it.

For me, I would rather have two 650's (one for large primer and another for small, sharing the case collator between the two) before having a single 1050. That said a few of each wins.

Boolit Master
    yeah but I wont be loading any volume of large primer any time soon, so I'm just doing 9 and 223.
    308 gets done on my coax(low volume lr shooting), and I'll just stop shooting 45. It's kind of pointless anyway, to me.

So I'm just looking to do 9mm and 223. approx 1000 223 a year, and 10-12k 9mm a year.
    Because I use a lot of mixed range pickup, the swaging seems interesting....

Boolit Master
    Ok, im getting a 1050 screw that, I don't want a 650 I'll regret it from the moment I order it for the rest of my life. Sucks.

I would probably just switch dies with hornady lockrings if I'm only going to do one batch of 223 a year, makes sense? I would just need the caliber conversion kit and lockrings, right?
    The 1050 comes with just the appropriate powder bar, so I would need a powder die, and powder bar for 223, and that's all? switch the powder die, measure, install good powder bar, adjust primer depth and swage rod, done?

I just know you're gonna figure this out.

Randy

Boolit Master
    go 1050, I have never heard of a person switching from a 1050 to a 650 willingly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    ... The 1050 comes with just the appropriate powder bar, so I would need a powder die, and powder bar for 223, and that's all? switch the powder die, measure, install good powder bar, adjust primer depth and swage rod, done?
    You will use the small powder bar for 9mm. Most folks use the large powder bar for .223. You just "dwell" a bit on the down stroke to make sure all the powder trickles into the small neck...

Since your new 1050 will come with one large and one small powder bar, I think you'll be in good shape.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    go 1050, I have never heard of a person switching from a 1050 to a 650 willingly.
    Well... I did. Sort of. I sold my 650s and my 1050 and kept two 550s. I like them all, but I LOVE my 550s. Besides, I didn't really need the high volume anymore, so I sold them at a huge premium thanks to the "shortages."

Just throwing it out there... I once added up what I paid for my Dillon presses, dies, conversion kits, accessories, etc.. I then subtracted what I sold SOME of them for... My cost basis for my last two 550s and my two Square Deals is negative. I made money owning Dillon presses over the years.

What is right for me is not right for anyone else. If you want the 1050, then buy it. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed.

Boolit Master
    Yes Dillon`s really keep their value, all their products. The Star Boolit Sizer is the only other reloading tool that also does that, although I think Mihec`s moulds may be like that someday.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    Well... I did. Sort of. I sold my 650s and my 1050 and kept two 550s. I like them all, but I LOVE my 550s.
    What do you prefer on the 550 vs the 650? Less trouble to switch calibers and do just a few rounds?

It's clearly true that if someome reloads low volume of many calibers, the 1050 is not an option and the 650 could start getting expensive with all the kits, feeder plates, etc.
    And sometimes it's just bothersome to switch and fill a casefeeder for 30 rounds I guess.

For low volume rounds I use my loadmaster to flare, powder, bullet, crimp, hand feed the cases that were sized and primed on a single stage. I could use a 550 and prime on the same toolhead instead though. But I'm not buying another press again. That's why I just cut calibers that I'm shooting... 9, 223, target 308.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    What do you prefer on the 550 vs the 650? Less trouble to switch calibers and do just a few rounds?
    I bought the 550 over the 650 for one reason only - versatility. The 550 has kept me from buying a turret press. I prefer one pull of the handle to produce a round than three or four pulls. I load from .17-.50 cal and needed a press that would have the capability to grow with my barrel collection. The 550 is a truly simple machine. I load in batches from 100-1000 depending on the cartridge. I don't like three things about the 550. Die spacing is very cramped. I can use two of my favorite lock rings on two dies and the other two wear Dillon rings. I don't really like the dedicated powder measure station. I circumvent this by using a QM on any station I want. The last thing is I wish I had just one more die station to use for occasional projects. To fill this gap, I use a single stage using a LNL bushing for a crimp station or whatever the task needs to be done.
    Oh I almost forgot. Dillon doesn't make a powder funnel for the 500 Linebaugh. I think buckshot can fix this for me.

My needs are different.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    kryogen are you a man or a woman???
    I have read your posts and your decision making process is chaotic and unpredictable lime women have!
    First of all, do you have the money to afford 1050?
    If yes, there is no other press even close.
    If you do not have the money buy your self a 650 and dream about 1050 till last breath.

W.R.Buchanan signing your post about marriage!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast