Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating Purchase of 45-70 - Recommend Best Rifle for the Round Please

Boolit Master
    1895 MARLIN or a RUGER single shot or a SHILOH SHARPS. I bought an 1895 in 1973(?) when they came out. It was stolen; replaced it with a RUGER #1 and #3. Got tired of the single shots and traded for an 1895 LTD-II. Traded for a COWBOY RIFLE. Bought a JM GUIDE GUN in December...bad weather and buying the house and getting settled in have kept me from taking it out to the local range. Next one will either be another JM GUIDE GUN or a SHILOH SHARPS with all the bells and whistles.

The SHILOH is pretty closely priced to some of the imports. Adding options is where it gets pricey. Adding the MVA long range tang sight and windgauge front was over $800. The period MVA scope is $1000+/-.

Browning 1886 SRC or Rifle.

Boolit Buddy

I have Marlin a 45-70 with Ballard rifiling. Great gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Hard to go wrong with an 1895, I have a Guide Gun (with muzzle brake) and would buy a rifle if funds are available when the right one comes along. Don't know about the Remlins but everyone I know that has a JM Guide Gun remarks about the accuracy. They truly are as accurate as most bolt guns, mine outshoots every levergun I own and a few of my bolt guns. Don't know why this little rifle is so accurate but it is the only rifle I own that goes on every big game hunting trip as a backup or primary rifle. When other rifles have mechanical issues or get finicky about loads that GG with a low-powered Leupold scope is rock solid and absolutely gets the job done.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Winchester 1886

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=475565101

I have a number of 45-70s and like them all

Ruger Lyman #1 Centenial (two of these )
    Ruger #1-B
    Rem Rolling Block
    P-14 Enfield
    Winchester 1886

It your gun for shooting or hunting or both??

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I'm partial to the Marlins. Got a ~'03 GuideGun. Had a '82 "rifle" w/microgroove barrel. Both were/are shooters. I've got a "Remlin" .338MX and its "keeper".
    Learn to discriminate an example of "barrel droop" and you'll be ok!

Boolit Buddy
    An good looking H&R 45/70 is for sale in the classifieds of rugerforum dot com if you are so inclined.
    luvtn

Boolit Grand Master
    I own 2 rifles in 45-70 caliber
    1 is a Remlin guide gun and in spite if all the disclaimers it is an accurate and fine specimen
    the other is a Ruger #1
    Honestly I prefer the Ruger but either will do
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I have a Remlin Marlin 95. It's a good rifle. I have heard rumors of quality control problems, but my rifle is fine.

Boolit Mold
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=475729678
    I can't stop looking at it, I'm mesmerized.

Boolit Master
    IF you decide on a MARLIN Guide Gun, the JM MARLINS come with ported or un-ported barrels. The porting allegedly helps with recoil, BUT will not endear you to the shooters next to you on the firing line at a gun range. IIRC, it is no longer a feature of the factory guns from Remington.

The newer guns are not drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver for the LYMAN or WILLIAMS peep sights. The new style WILLIAMS is mounted on top of the receiver, using the rear set of scope base holes. I've got one on my recently acquired Guide Gun.

Whatever you choose, casting and reloading give you a lot of flexibility. AND the price compared to factory loads is fantastic.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ashhoe View Post
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=475729678
    I can't stop looking at it, I'm mesmerized.

What do you think it will go for?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    If interested in BP and weight is not a problem, A C. Sharps or Shiloh..otherwise a Ruger #1....if a single shot is a problem a Marlin '95 is a natural.

Boolit Buddy
    I like any of the old style falling or rolling block single shots. They are very versatile as far as bullet selection goes and are good perfomers if you like to shoot black. I used a son in laws Rossi 45-70 and was not thrilled. Bullet choices are limited and accuracy was not very good at all.

Downside to the singles is, of course, one shot! Also, the weight. Mine runs right at 10# and is about all I want to carry.

Boolit Master
    I have a new Encore stainless barrel. Shot that tonight with some 355 grain WFN over Unique outstanding accuracy and a very fine gun.
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 04-20-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I retired last month and treated myself to one of the new Henry 45-70s. Lovin' it. Kinda heavy, but that helps with the recoil. Just worked up a new cast load that I will post about in the 'cast bullet' section of this forum. Can't say enough good things about the Henry. Good quality all around. Spring bear starts day after tomorrow here in Idaho and I'm taking the new gun - with cast bullet loads.

Boolit Master
    So far my favorite is the 1895 Marlin just because it works so well.I also have a 23" Contender ,W.W. Greener Martini , and a 1873 Springfield.I must admit the Springfield is a blast to shoot with black powder.
    I am still waiting for the time when I can add a Ruger #1, Shiloh Sharps , and a Siamese Mauser to the list!
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I have both the Marlin and a jap Winchester model 86 Light weight. If you can find a used Winchester 86 light weight they are very nice to carry. Very easy to cast for and have very good barrels on them. The Marlin would be my second choice. By the time you find a Ballrd rifled barrel your cost will be near the cost of the jap model 86.
    There is nothing wrong with the micro groove Marlins if you use a fat cast bullet. They will shoot fine. This is the cheapest one out there for a levergun.
    The bolt action Siamese Mausers are great . About $500 - $600. Easy to load for. Will hunt any critter on the planet. Easy to carry. Reliable Mauser unless bubba got his finges in thier. Gunbroker always has several for sale. A little harder to find but well worth the look if you want the vesitility and strength of a bolt action Mauser rifle.
    Then the double rifle. Very clasic and stronge enough to take whatever you will put in it. Costly ! But if you ever hunt critters that will hunt you then it sure is assuring to have two seperate firing systems. Two instant chambered rounds is not bad either.
    The last 45-70 that will leave me is my model 86 light weight. I am more lever gun orientated as my years go along. If that lever 45-70 will not do the job I will get out a caliber 50 lever action.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

It doesnt matter which one you get to begin with, its a 45-70 and it will multiply.

Basic choices, not all inclusive, based on price.
    Low end: H&R, CVA
    Middle: Marlin, Henry, Rossi
    Upper: Ruger, Sharps, Rolling Block

Choose one, buy it, shoot it, rinse, repeat.

I am another one for the Marlin, I have had my best luck with 405gr. boolits and j-words, pushed by IMR4198.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast