WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .35 Rem. for dangerous game?

Boolit Master
    The .35 Rem. is enough gun,knowing where to aim and the ability to hit that spot is more important than boolit diameter and weight.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I've been doing it wrong. I hunt them w/ a bow or 357. Guess I need to step my game up

Boolit Master

Lots of black bears killed with a 300 Sav. and a 30-30. Your 35 Rem. will do it even better.

Larry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I guess I've been doing it wrong. I hunt them w/ a bow or 357. Guess I need to step my game up
    An animal wanting to make you an o'derve has it adrenaline up and a "plan".

A couple of my friends were bow hunting bears ........ they stuffed an arrow in one and he climbed the tree stand ...... his lights went out when his chin reached the platform .....

A bigger platform would have been nice to have room to stack the "brown stuff" that day.

Three 44s

Perma-Banned

I think a 35 remington is fine for this as long as you are sending a good bullet down range. I would prefer something a little bigger myself but would never worry about carrying a 35 remington.

Banned
    Self Banned I exceed my own RPM threshold
    A 35Remington and a 200 grain castbooolit will knock an American Bison off it's feet with one well placed shot. I would think a black bear of any size would crumple too. If it does not just shoot it again.

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    According to Barnes "The Modern Hunting Rifle" my favorite book to read since I knew anything about rifles

" The Iron sighted .35 Remington cartridge in a Marlin 336 Rifle ( note he did not say 20" carbine) with a Remington 200 grain core lokt Bullet will handle any big game animal in North America with a well placed shot"
    I recently bought a box of 35Rem ammo, so I thought I'd check....

yup, Sho Nuff... NONE of them cartridges were wearing iron sights.

I know some indians would paint an "Eye" on their bow so it could see the target and be more accurate, but putting sights on a cartridge just seems plain wasteful!
    Now, but them sights on a Bullet, and you have something!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies. I officially stop worrying about this one. Now I'll focus on practice.

35 rem is fine with heavy bullets i use my old marlin in 375 win with 250 grain fn
    Last edited by usmc1963; 04-01-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    An animal wanting to make you an o'derve has it adrenaline up and a "plan".

A couple of my friends were bow hunting bears ........ they stuffed an arrow in one and he climbed the tree stand ...... his lights went out when his chin reached the platform .....

A bigger platform would have been nice to have room to stack the "brown stuff" that day.

Three 44s
    I'm really doing it wrong then. I hunt them from the ground

Boolit Bub

The four black bear kills I've been involved with left me with the impression black bears die easy with a well placed shot.

1 killed at 20 yards with a single boiler room shot with 7mm-08 (my son)
    1 killed at 25 yards with a chest shot by 7mm rem mag (me)
    1 killed at 150 yards with 338WM chest shot (hunting partner)
    1 killed at 200 yards with 7mm rem mag (another hunting partner)

All were spot and stalk mountain hunts.

Bottom line put a 35 Rem bullet in the heart/lung area and the black bear will grace your wall and table.

Boolit Grand Master
    Use the 220 Speer with LVR powder to maximize the cartridge. Good velocities can be had at quite reasonable pressures that given very long case life in the 35 Remington. So loaded the cartridge goes at bit outside the "woods rifle" class and will put no undue strain on a 336.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I'm really doing it wrong then. I hunt them from the ground

No. You are on the ground ......... if you wound it ....... it will climb the tree it thinks you are in a top a tree stand ........ with the popularity of tree stands it will assume you are "up a tree". You are good on the ground! LOL!

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I officially stop worrying about this one. Now I'll focus on practice.
    That's why I settled for a 35 Rem myself. The practice you pursue will also transfer to a .45-70 should you chose to move up to it someday.

Enjoy

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    I've killed LOT of deer and number of pigs with the .35rem. I took my first cast boolit deer with it and .338ME this past fall. I used the RCBS 200gr FNGC cast from a acww with 2% tin added. Not any significant expansion but short dbl blood trail. I hollow pointed the Lee 220gr I used in th.338. Larger exit wound, perfect thin skin game performance. I'll never buy another j-bullet for either.

The .35 requires 39.0gr BLC2. The .338 wants 40.0gr of RL15. The .35 RCBS casts to 220gr so there isn't a nickels with of difference.

Since the .35 came to exist to improve on the .30/30's performance on BIG stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything in the lower 48.
    My experience is tht the .35 hits harder than the .30/06 (I adore the'06 too), which is why I prefer it.
    For Alaska, I have a .45/70 Marlin guide gun, and a .375Ruger "African" Hawkeye M77.
    Sorry, not enough time/space/$ to take them all!
    btw, my next boolit molds will be a nose-rider ~300gr FNGC for the .375.
    I'll make a "boolit" gun out of it too. But thn what'll I do with all the j bullets I've acquired?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12